Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No water cooling on CVO SG??  (Read 2751 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
No water cooling on CVO SG??
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »

If I am reading this correctly the CVO SG doesn't have water cooling.  If that is fact, why did HD dump an efficient cooling medium and increase the size of the motor?  Any thoughts of why this was done except to add more speakers and save a buck?  One of the big selling points of the twin cooled bikes was that they would run cooler.  And now that doesn't matter? I would like some input on this change from those who  know way more than I do!  Thanks in advance.

CVO Ries

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Re: No water cooling on CVO SG??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

Wondering the same thing...
The CVO Ultras have them still.

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

CVO Street Glide Doesn't get it.

I wonder if the water cooling will only be available on the Electra Glide models only from now on? I'm guessing the slight benefits it added weren't worth the added costs/repair costs that were associated with it, so it'll be strictly for the full dresser bikes. I'd say we will know for sure when the 2019 bikes come out and they also don't have it.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »

Didn't they add the wet head in response to losing a class action lawsuit?  Or did they settle and add it meaning there's no binding agreement to keep it?

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »

CVO Street Glide Doesn't get it.
I wonder if the water cooling will only be available on the Electra Glide models only from now on? I'm guessing the slight benefits it added weren't worth the added costs/repair costs that were associated with it, so it'll be strictly for the full dresser bikes. I'd say we will know for sure when the 2019 bikes come out and they also don't have it.

I would think that the cost to keep twin cooling on just a few bikes would be more than either eliminating it or moving it to all the big twins or at least the touring models.  For 2018, the touring line has three different engine sizes where 107's come with (EG Limited, Limited Low and RG Ultra) and the rest of the 107's are air/oil cooled (as God intended....); no 114s with no twin cooling and only one of the two 117's (CVO Limited) has it.  I'm guessing the heads are the same (normal and twin cooled) on all three and bore/stroke are different (and cams?) making it not that difficult head wise going from with or without.  The plumbing/fans/lowers associated with twin cooling would be the main issue in cost and aesthetics.

My guess?  The aftermarket and some or most of the tuners/builders/customizers were staying away from the twin cooled motors because of the issues associated with having to keep the lowers for the radiators.  There were also issues with the thermostats/pumps/plumbing/customers wanting to remove the lowers but couldn't on any of the twin cooled touring models.  Also, Yamaha has their new air cooled twin out in the new Voyager and may have solved the heat issues without having to move to water.  None of the 111 Indians are water cooled (although they do put out some heat on the right side).  Also, I don't remember seeing many custom twin cooled machines (although I'm sure they are out there).
I can't believe I'm actually saying the MoCo may have bent to customer complaints and fixed something.....I see the snow clouds building in hades today.... :)

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »

One more thought....I'm not keen on the twin cooling but it does seem to work on keeping down the head temps.  I'm a'fixin to take care of the lower right leg heat so as long as it keeps working, I'm happy with it.  However, if/when the need comes for a motor rebuild, I'm talking to somebody about eliminating the twin cooling and going back to air/oil cost be darned....

Would I purchase another twin cooled?  Only if there wasn't another option (and I loved the paint...)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:27:38 PM »

The more I think about it I still feel it is a step backwards for these bikes.  And I bet it was a bean counter initiative rather than an engineering decision.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »

As I read in another thread "one less thing to fail"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »

The more I think about it I still feel it is a step backwards for these bikes.  And I bet it was a bean counter initiative rather than an engineering decision.

No doubt about it.  Look at the hardware required for the water cooled system versus the so-called oil cooled system, and it's obvious the oil cooled system costs much less to implement.  The fact that it isn't anywhere near as good isn't a factor with Harley, as usual.  Oil is MUCH less efficient in removing heat compared to water, and the water cooled system has fans that circulate air when the bike isn't moving fast enough to generate sufficient air flow through the radiators.  The oil cooled system is so cheap they don't include a fan for the oil cooler, choosing instead to offer a fan assisted cooler in the catalog so customers can pay extra to fix this serious flaw themselves.  I haven't seen any feedback yet on oil temps with the oil cooled system, but the oil temps have to be seriously high.  Adding a pint or two to the oil capacity won't affect the temps at all.

Jerry

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:18:31 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:01:37 PM »

Jerry I echo those thoughts.  Glad I have,( oops had until they picked it up this AM to do the oil pump thing), a 2017 CVO with the twin cooling sitting in the garage. 

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »

As I read in another thread "one less thing to fail"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:52 PM »

I also think it is a step backwards.  I like the water cooling. It sure makes a difference in stop and go traffic and it extends the life of the engine.  If it wasn't any good why does the Ultra get it.

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »

I also think it is a step backwards.  I like the water cooling. It sure makes a difference in stop and go traffic and it extends the life of the engine.  If it wasn't any good why does the Ultra get it.

I agree. My 14' SGS didn't have it, and this was my first bike that did. It's actually fairly noticeable. As long as they keep working at putting quality parts in the cooling system, it'll get more reliable. I'm sure as well, some bean counter didn't want to spend an extra $20 on better bearing fans etc or something like that.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 21 queries.