Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley stuck in flood, what to do next  (Read 3709 times)

kalikali

• Junior CVO Member
Harley stuck in flood, what to do next
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »

I temporary left one of my Harleys in Houston and it got flooded out with the recent rains today. I am not sure how high the water level reached but I am assuming at least 1 ft, most likely more.  I do have full coverage insurance but at what point is a flooded bike considered a total loss or is is something that can be  fixed?  Its a 2010 Ultra (Non CVO) and it is quite a ways from the ocean so I am assuming it is not salt water. 

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Harley stuck in flood, what to do next
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »

Here in Baton Rouge, when we had the floods last august, the dealer advised all of the insurance companies that if the waters covered the primary case the bike should be totaled. The reason is that the mud in the water makes its way past the gaskets and causes a rusty mess of everything and it costs more to replace the engine and wiring than the bike is worth.

Needless to say the dealer sold more bikes last year than anyone else in the region.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »

:-\
You're saying.......how high the water reached........as in it is not going any higher.  Per the newscasts,  you have days left before it all ends and you can determine how high it got where ever in that area it happens to be.

If it doesn't get high enough to come in through the air intake,  you might not have that much of a problem.  If it ends up pretty much submerged,  then there would be much more to consider getting it back in running condition.

Too early to really tell now just what you should do. :nixweiss:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »

Sorry to hear Mother Nature has dealt such a terrible blow, bikes can be replaced. Good luck to everyone that is in the storms path.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »

It flooded here in Baton Rouge a year ago, it is flooding now in Houston. There is 400 miles between there and here, and some homes here got 12 feet of water or more.  And, I'm telling you if any part of the primary sits in the water the bike is toast.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:38:46 PM by King Glide »
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »

If you had insurance you would just turn it in, but since you don't... Long as it stays below the air intake and hopefully the ecm, well you can disassemble, clean & dry and go on your way. But if it only got  a foot high and wasn't started just change fluids and ride.
But reality of it if it got that deep today and you didn't move it, well it will probably be under by tomorrow.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 08:34:03 PM »

I temporary left one of my Harleys in Houston and it got flooded out with the recent rains today. I am not sure how high the water level reached but I am assuming at least 1 ft, most likely more.  I do have full coverage insurance but at what point is a flooded bike considered a total loss or is is something that can be  fixed?  Its a 2010 Ultra (Non CVO) and it is quite a ways from the ocean so I am assuming it is not salt water. 

If you had insurance you would just turn it in, but since you don't... Long as it stays below the air intake and hopefully the ecm, well you can disassemble, clean & dry and go on your way. But if it only got  a foot high and wasn't started just change fluids and ride.
But reality of it if it got that deep today and you didn't move it, well it will probably be under by tomorrow.
  :nixweiss:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »

Don't mean to sound harsh sir.  But were it me I'd be hoping for enough more flooding so that your insurance buying you another bike isn't ever even a question for negotiation. 

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »

Here in Baton Rouge, when we had the floods last august, the dealer advised all of the insurance companies that if the waters covered the primary case the bike should be totaled. The reason is that the mud in the water makes its way past the gaskets and causes a rusty mess of everything and it costs more to replace the engine and wiring than the bike is worth.

Needless to say the dealer sold more bikes last year than anyone else in the region.

:-\
To me,  your very last sentence above says it all.........."the dealer sold more bikes last year than anyone else in the region".

While indeed a bike or two or maybe more could have had the described muddy water get past gaskets,  I would tend to say that was the (exception) and NOT the rule as the dealer was claiming.  The damn primary is sealed with oil inside.  If it's not leaking out,  the muddy water should not leak in :nixweiss:

All in all,  I would view that dealers statements as an "opportunity" to cash in. ::)

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »

If it was above the wheel bearings, change them along with all ot the fluids.  The transmision vent will let water in.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »

With full coverage, get a quote. If it's a good reliable bike and it gets totaled, buy it back and fix it. It's just water. Mud in the primary is sales guy talk or every time we rode these things in the rain they'd get trashed.

mark

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »

Katrina guy here.  You're going to want the insurance company to total the bike if it sat in water - and they will...won't even blink an eye.  Imagine your bike sitting in a foot or two (or more) of water for days - wheel bearings, brake calipers, engine, tranny, starter, etc.  Trust me, if you try to save it, rust and corrosion will start showing up down the road.  The only way to know for sure if the bike is OK is to disassemble everything.  At a $100+/hr labor cost, that becomes too expensive for an insurance company.  It sucks, but take the check and move on.   

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »

And, if you were here for Katrina you know what I'm talking about. Salt water is one thing and I've seen it do lots of damage, but the stagnant muddy water from the Mississippi River is a hundred times worse.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 03:35:45 AM »

Katrina guy here.  You're going to want the insurance company to total the bike if it sat in water - and they will...won't even blink an eye.  Imagine your bike sitting in a foot or two (or more) of water for days - wheel bearings, brake calipers, engine, tranny, starter, etc.  Trust me, if you try to save it, rust and corrosion will start showing up down the road.  The only way to know for sure if the bike is OK is to disassemble everything.  At a $100+/hr labor cost, that becomes too expensive for an insurance company.  It sucks, but take the check and move on.   
Maybe inside the frame, too.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »

I'd rather have mud than saltwater. preferably neither, unless it's all over my four wheeler.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.