Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S Lifters / Pushrod adjustment  (Read 6447 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
S&S Lifters / Pushrod adjustment
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »

Going to fit a new set of lifters (330-0175) S&S Premium w/out limiters using (18404-08) SE Premium tapered adjustable pushrods.

Contacted S&S Tech support and may have confused them a little, here is what I asked.
*I currently have genuine HD Screamin Eagle lifters with SE Premium tapered adjustable pushrods set at 2 1/2 turns per OEM instructions.
Changing to S&S Premium lifters without limiters using SE Premium tapered adjustable pushrods what do I set the pushrods at. i.e. how many turns.
*Reply was, Since they do not have travel limiters you will adjust them the same as stock.

Wouldn't they need to be set at 4 turns or am I missing something?
https://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/instructions-data/pushrod-adjustment

https://www.sscycle.com/products/premium-high-performance-tappet-set-without-hl2t-kit-for-1999-17-hd-big-twins-2000-18-hd-sportster-and-2017-18-m8-models/
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-premium-tapered-quick-install-adjustable-pushrods-18404-08
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:15:51 AM by Aussie »

J.D.

Re: S&S Lifters / Pushrod adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »

Same adjustment as stock lifters.  :2vrolijk_21:

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »

Same adjustment as stock lifters.  :2vrolijk_21:
What has confused me is, S&S and SE pushrods have the same 32 (TPI) Threads per inch .
Using SE lifters and SE pushrods adjustment is 2 1/2 turns.
Using S&S lifters and pushrods with 32 TPI adjustment is 4 turns per S&S instructions.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »

Both lifters have the same internal plunger travel which is about 0.200".  You want to be about 1/2 way (0.100").  You set number of turns based on pushrod TPI.

24TPI = 0.041" per full turn.  About 2-1/2 turns.
32TPI = 0.031" per full turn.  About 3-1/4 turns.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:47:14 PM »

What has confused me is, S&S and SE pushrods have the same 32 (TPI) Threads per inch .
Using SE lifters and SE pushrods adjustment is 2 1/2 turns.
Using S&S lifters and pushrods with 32 TPI adjustment is 4 turns per S&S instructions.

Actually the SE Tapered Pushrods have 24 threads per inch, and 2-1/2 turns will center the lifter plunger, which is the normal adjustment.  I believe the S&S pushrods are 32 tpi. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Jerry.
I was using the pushrod chart out of the S&S installation instruction sheet as a reference.

I will be checking TPI on the pushrods with a thread gauge before I installed them any way. 

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:20 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Jerry.
I was using the pushrod chart out of the S&S installation instruction sheet as a reference.

I will be checking TPI on the pushrods with a thread gauge before I installed them any way.
The way that I use to calculate the turns needed is I combine feeler gauges to the thickness of the depth I want. I then back the nut away from the push rod until the feeler gauge fits. You can count the turns going out or do it in reverse and count. Never have to even know the threads per inch. Just another idea for you.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:32:05 AM »

I set those a little deeper at 3.25 turns. Problems solved :bananarock:

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:12:40 AM »

I set those a little deeper at 3.25 turns. Problems solved :bananarock:
Did you have problems set at normal adjustment of 2 1/2 turns .104"

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »

Not a bout to trash here but I am having trouble with S&S. I put premium in my bike and set them to four turns. When I started bike there was one that took for ever to pump up. Once it did it seemed ok but now after about 8000 miles I have cladder again. Took it all apart and found 3 out of 4 pushrods were hitting the tube and one that might cause noise. I also miked the lifters and found them to be all at 0.8420 not sure if it has anything to do with it but I am going to look for different pushrods. I am so fn tired of lifter cladder. One is not good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:55:25 PM by bubtrauma »
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

TIMINATOR

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

I have found thru the years that adjusting the hydraulic lifters up from the bottom about a half turn makes more power. Oil is incompressible, but air is not. Once an engine has run and especially at high RPM air is entrained(mixed into the oil), the air in the lifter compresses and that results in lower effective lift and duration and consequently, less power. I first discovered this effect in 1985 and have been adjusting all of my HIGH PERFORMANCE cams from my shop this way since then. Stock or low performance, why bother, do it the easy/ stock way. But if you are "chasing the numbers" like me and most of my customers, adjusting from the bottom makes more HP and sense to me. I also drain any oil from new or used lifters by using my drill press or mill as an arbor press, a short piece of pushrod in the chuck, a block of wood, and a rag or pie pan to catch the oil are all you need. Now you don't have to wait with the cam on lift and collapse the lifters in the engine before adjusting them, its quite a timesaver. You don't have to worry about the "old wives tale" of lifters pumping up, with the correct spring pressure for the cam, and modern springs that was a thing of the past. A lifter can only pump up with excessive oil pressure, (not a Harley trait) or valve float, allowing the lifter to pump up to take up the excessive clearance. One more comment: for those of us with machine shops that build both race/performance V-8s AND Harleys, we know that for the same lift/duration cams in both types of engines, the Harleys call for 50 to 80 more pounds of spring pressure. The higher spring pressure will always collapse the lifter more than lesser pressure and result in less HP. EVOs and Twin Cams HDs use Chevy lifters.
Don't believe the air in the oil? Buy a milk shake or Orange Julius, don't drink it, and let it sit on the bench for an hour or so. The level is lower by the amount of air whipped into the milk shake. The crank diameter is way bigger than the little deal on the bottom of the milk shake maker, and they don't whip the shake for as long as you are riding. Think about it. Just some random thoughts from the TIMINATOR

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.