Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing Lifters  (Read 1990 times)

Roaddogg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
Replacing Lifters
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »

I have been lucky with my 2015 RG CVO with no lifter issues to 25k miles.  Plan on changing this weekend to S&S and do the Rocker Lockers at the same time.  I will be going in from the top and plan on reusing my stock pushrods.  Changed CAMS on a 2006 RoadKing years ago.  Just reading the service manual and it states to **Drain coolant and remove upper coolant lines prior to disassembly.**  Is this necessary if I am not going into the Cylinder Heads?

Thanks for any assistance from those that have done this on a wet head.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Replacing Lifters
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »

I just put in new S&S premium lifters and rocker lockers this week.  You do not drain coolant or remove any coolant hoses.  Over the front cylinder lies the 2 coolant hoses.  After removing the clamp that keeps the hoses from rubbing the front rocker cover, take 4 tie straps about 1/4" wide and tie  the coolant hoses up to the bottom of the frame to get the clearance needed to work on the front cylinder, the rear cylinder is not effected.  I zip tied the straps just enough to hold them up to the bottom of the frame and not collapse or kink the hoses.  My tie straps were about 15" long so I had to put 2 together to go around the hoses and the frame thus the 4 straps being used.  Hope this helps. 

Roaddogg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »

Boatman,

Thanks for the great tip!  Any other tips you can pass along since you just did the same job days ago?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »

If you don't turn the ignition on before you start, the fuel pump will not energize and there will be no pressure on the fuel tank quick disconnect.
I just laid the fuel tank console back on a towel where the seat used to be.
You think you have to remove the upper front motor mount but the front rocker cover will come off without removing the mount or torque rod-it will only come in and out one way.
Before removing rocker support bolts, get that cylinder on it's base circle by turning the rear wheel in 6th gear with plugs removed.
Even with the lifters all the way down, there is still pressure on the aluminum rocker plate so when you loosen the rocker bolts loosen them up evenly. 
You can't use a gear ratchet wrench on the rocker bolts until the bolts are up some.  I brought home a co workers 1/4" drive thin ratchet an an extremely short 7/16 and 1/2" sockets and had clearance between the frame and engine to get rocker bolts out.
On the rear rocker assy, you have to remove it with the 2 horn side bolts still in the plate and reinstall the same way.
All the bolts you remove will have a white sealer on them so buff the threads clean.
When putting back together, hand start all bolts several threads before tighteneing.
I did not torque the 8 rocker bolts, just tightened them as tight as I could with a 1/4" drive ratchet.  Again draw the support plate down a few turns at a time-EVENLY.
Pushrod holders are PIA..
The Rocker Locker bushings are tapered on one end.  The tapered end will fit thru the supplied washer.  When you stick the bushing in the rocker, about 3/8" should stick up.  If so, then draw bushing in with rocker bolt and supplied washer and nut.  It is possible for the rocker shaft to rotate so make sure the rocker shaft flat is in the correct position-the bolt will easily go thru.
I soaked the lifters for a couple hours but still clattered for 20 seconds on start up.
Babbling now-good luck.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »

This is why I enjoy this site.  It's not a topic I currently need and I'm not planning to do this anytime soon but I'll bookmark this thread for the future... ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Some great information and tips....thanks guys.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »

The lifters also have a oil hole in the side that is orientated to the inboard side of the engine.   Be carefull and don't drop the anti roll pin for the lifters fall down in the cam case.

Roaddogg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »

Thank You.  Can see how that could ruin your day.

Roaddogg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »

Boatman,

Any trick to getting front rocker box off?  I assume it has to slide out the throttle side.  But lowers in the way.

Thanks

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »

You don't think it will come off with the front motor mount or the lower.  It comes out from throttle body side. You lift up and pull straight out and then turn at a angle and comes out over throttle body.  Barely fits.  Went back in the same way but easier.

Roaddogg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »

Thank You will give that a try

Roaddogg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »

Thanks Boatman.  Success

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.