Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary cover change  (Read 2230 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Primary cover change
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »

I was wondering can the primary cover be changed with the bike on the side stand without a lube spilling out of the primary?  This is on a 2017 CVO SG.  Thanks in advance.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
Re: Primary cover change
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

no you will lose so it must be level to check n fill so some will come out and you cant put the right amount back in like that

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »

What he said and to make filling cleaner and easier buy the little orange funnel to refill. This little thing works great unlike most of the catchers for the oil filter. If you don't have a lift the Craftsman lift at about $100. works great for getting your bike sitting straight up and also great for cleaning your back wheel. There are much better and more expensive lifts out there but for $100. you can't go wrong IMO.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »

What he said and to make filling cleaner and easier buy the little orange funnel to refill. This little thing works great unlike most of the catchers for the oil filter. If you don't have a lift the Craftsman lift at about $100. works great for getting your bike sitting straight up and also great for cleaning your back wheel. There are much better and more expensive lifts out there but for $100. you can't go wrong IMO.

I'll second both suggestions.  I have the $100 Craftsman lift and have for about 5 years now.  Works like a charm.  I would like to invest in a table lift at some point but this works for what I need now.  The orange funnel is a given and looks like this:

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »

installed

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »

I was wondering can the primary cover be changed with the bike on the side stand without a lube spilling out of the primary?  This is on a 2017 CVO SG.  Thanks in advance.

If you're just changing to a different primary cover for esthetic reasons, I'd suggest waiting until you do your next oil change.  You can't change the cover without losing the fluid.  You are talking about the actual outer primary cover, not just the derby cover, right?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »

If you mean the Derby cover yes you can but must be up right. If you mean the primary cover no you can't .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:13:53 PM by Designflaw »
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »

the 2017 sg has the narrow primary cover.  if you take the derby cover off with the bike on the sidestand, you will lose fluid (if it's properly filled).  if you have it standing up vertical, then you can change the derby cover with no problem.

on the older bikes with the regular primary cover, you could take off the derby cover while on the sidestand.  but I found out after changing my regular cover out for a narrow, that when refilling, if it is not vertical, you won't be able to fill it with the recommended amount of fluid.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »

Yes, meant derby cover, I should have been more specific.  Have the funny little plastic deal, on my 06 I could change fluid by myself with bike on sidestand, that's what I was wondering with the 17.  Had a table lift and sold it as I found it took up way to much space for the limited use it got.  It got replaced with a 4 post car lift.  Anyway, now I know the answer to that question.  Guess I will hijack one of my buddies for 15 minutes to change the cover.  Want to change the 114 to a 117 which is more appropriate for my bike.  According to my local parts guy the CVO 117 cover is not a restricted item so for $120 I ordered it.  Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Appreciated.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »

Yes, meant derby cover, I should have been more specific.  Have the funny little plastic deal, on my 06 I could change fluid by myself with bike on sidestand, that's what I was wondering with the 17.  Had a table lift and sold it as I found it took up way to much space for the limited use it got.  It got replaced with a 4 post car lift.  Anyway, now I know the answer to that question.  Guess I will hijack one of my buddies for 15 minutes to change the cover.  Want to change the 114 to a 117 which is more appropriate for my bike.  According to my local parts guy the CVO 117 cover is not a restricted item so for $120 I ordered it.  Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Appreciated.
You could get the derby cover from Surdyke or BoardTracker for $98.00

http://www.surdyke.com/Search.aspx   Part number 25700747

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/product/25700747_COVER,CL,BLACK

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:58:34 PM by Serdvd6 »
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »

You can put a board under the jiffy stand to get "near" level.  Don't go full level, never go full level (sorry but I keep thinking about a movie line from tropic thunder).

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »

It's not worth the risk to try to use a board under the jiffy stand.  Once the bike starts to fall away from you, there is no way you could stop it from going over.  Just borrow a friend or relative to sit on the bike and hold it level or even slightly leaned to the right.  If you plan on doing your own fluid changes in the future, consider getting a bike jack or a wheel chock to hold the bike upright.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »

Good advice. Thanks.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »

Oh and have a new o ring handy as the original will have swelled from use and won't work....

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.