Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Single Row Bearing For MDG & Updated MDG  (Read 6480 times)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: New Single Row Bearing For MDG & Updated MDG
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »

Don't know about the MDG being a problem, but the main drive dual row ball bearing, with the plastic separators is a big POS.  >:(
Keep us in the loop.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »

Don't know about the MDG being a problem, but the main drive dual row ball bearing, with the plastic separators is a big POS.  >:(
Keep us in the loop.

Probably should have used your description of the MDG bearing..instead of it being a problem.. Will keep you in the loop!..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »

Interesting! There  are eleven balls in the 8967A bearing.  Bearing uses a nylon retainer and is not sealed on either side.

What makes it better?

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »

Interesting! There  are eleven balls in the 8967A bearing.  Bearing uses a nylon retainer and is not sealed on either side.

What makes it better?

Brad

Brad, I don;t know for sure, some guys are saying stronger and will last longer than as Mr. Sachs put it   that pos dual row ball bearing, with the plastic separators . What I plan on doing when I receive it is,if I can see any numbers is  going to one of the big bearing houses here in Dallas   and see what we can see, If there's a better quality bearing ..I'm in.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »

I'm sure the MoCo has gone backwards before, but the issues with the dual row bearing, has cost the mothership enough to come up with a better piece.  :nixweiss:
John

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »

Greg, does there happen to be any numbers on the bearing that a person could cross back to SKF or such?

Here is the best image I found  . Here is a comment on it from HTT: The leading F in number dictates it's not available, note the Slovaki
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:18:58 PM by Texas 103 »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »

What makes it better?

Brad

Was talking to a bearing  guy today, Mentioned I thought the bearing had Phenolic retainer  in it. He said yes ,very common. The higher quality ones have brass retainers  in them. Couldn't cross the number, said bring it in he's measure it and see what's available in better quality. 

Not I think the 8978-A is  a poor bearing , but if i can get a better quality bearing while I have it down, I'll go with it .   Stay tuned   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:41:00 PM by Texas 103 »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »

Was talking to a bearing today, Mentioned I thought the bearing had Phenolic retainer  in it. He said yes ,very common. The higher quality ones have brass retainers  in them. Couldn't cross the number, said bring it in he's measure it and see what's available in better quality. 

Not I think the 8978-A is  a poor bearing , but if i can get a better quality bearing while I have it down, I'll go with it .   Stay tuned   

Greg is this driving you so crazy you are talking to bearing now? Lol. What else did the bearing tell you today? Just poking so fun.
Like we were talking the other day we see a lot of mid duty bearing with Phenolic retainers. Typically we see them in printer class bearings where the IRC is less than a .0005. Be real curious to know what the IRC ison that bearing. Once you get the dimensions a call to SKF would let you know what if anything is available. Not sure what bearing house you are using but Motion is a pretty good resource for identifying and locating bearing and I know they have a big warehouse their in Dallas
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »

Greg is this driving you so crazy you are talking to bearing now? Lol. What else did the bearing tell you today? Just poking so fun.
Like we were talking the other day we see a lot of mid duty bearing with Phenolic retainers. Typically we see them in printer class bearings where the IRC is less than a .0005. Be real curious to know what the IRC ison that bearing. Once you get the dimensions a call to SKF would let you know what if anything is available. Not sure what bearing house you are using but Motion is a pretty good resource for identifying and locating bearing and I know they have a big warehouse their in Dallas

Ok I was really talking to the bearing guy, not the f*^**g  bearing...lol.  but I was talking to that big ass snap ring that retains the bearing in the case  yesterday, gotta have some serious snap ring pliers to get that baby out..NAPA fixed me right up with big ass pliers that have a ratchet in them that lock in position...works great, just didn't like the price. oh well..Gotta pay to play!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »

my 13 has always had a quite trans...but at 25k ish it got a bad vibration under hard acceleration, turned out to be the trans main bearing. it was replaced under warranty and has been even quieter/smoother since that repair. not sure what else was replaced at the time. just thinking out loud here...wish the rental could work/sound as good as the 13 dose  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:14:28 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »

Ok I was really talking to the bearing guy, not the f*^**g  bearing...lol.  but I was talking to that big ass snap ring that retains the bearing in the case  yesterday, gotta have some serious snap ring pliers to get that baby out..NAPA fixed me right up with big ass pliers that have a ratchet in them that lock in position...works great, just didn't like the price. oh well..Gotta pay to play!

Those ratcheting pliers are nice! Just make sure once you have the snap ring clear I would place it flat against the floor or something to the effect before releasing the ratchet otherwise what you might have is a really fancy snap ring launcher. Don't ask how I know
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »

Those ratcheting pliers are nice! Just make sure once you have the snap ring clear I would place it flat against the floor or something to the effect before releasing the ratchet otherwise what you might have is a really fancy snap ring launcher. Don't ask how I know

The BAP..Big Ass Pliers!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.