Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fork lock on flhtkse  (Read 1439 times)

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Fork lock on flhtkse
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »

How do I remove the fork lock on the dresser? There use to be a pin to push up but I don't see it on the newer ones. I just want to have clearance for putting a chrome bezel around the screen.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Re: Fork lock on flhtkse
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

Nor sure what year bike your putting this on but I have the chrome bezel around my screen (2014) without taking the fork lock off.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »

My problem was the chrome would not fit between the screen and lock on a 2016. I screwed up on this one. Using a 5/32 Allen wrench, I removed the screw on the tank holding the gas cap cover in place. Removed the gas cap and moved chrome piece out of the way. With same Allen wrench, I removed the two bolts holding the lower plastic that fits around the fork lock. Now with a t-20 bit, unscrewed the lock mechanism. Was able to adhere the chrome bezel around the screen then. Here's where I messed up. Screwing the lock back in place, I snapped a tab that one of the screws go through. I am not sure if it got moved around or what but there was a blue plastic cog in the way of the screw. I will have to get another housing and see if there is a specific procedure in screwing the lock on.

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »

After getting a price of $650 for the whole unit, I decided to look at the old one better. Superglued the tab back on and soaked the plastic cog piece in hot water to straighten it out from being bent. Back on the road again.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »

After getting a price of $650 for the whole unit, I decided to look at the old one better. Superglued the tab back on and soaked the plastic cog piece in hot water to straighten it out from being bent. Back on the road again.
American ingenuity at work (you, not HD!).

I've had better luck repairing plastic pieces by "welding" them using a small soldering iron, instead of using glue.  In areas where the looks don't matter and there's enough room, have even added reinforcement with strips of plastic and/or metal from coat hangers, pop-tabs, etc.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.