Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tires availability  (Read 3975 times)

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
Re: Tires availability
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

I've had stock Dunlops and American Elites on my 15 FLHXSE - I don't rate either of them for handling uneven or wet road surfaces.

Was trying to get hold of Pirelli Night Dragons but the retailer kept pushing out the delivery date and when pressed they told me Pirelli had none in stock and couldn't confirm the next production run (confirmed by another 2 retailers) so I cancelled that order and went for Avon Cobras. Local retailers couldn't get hold of the Cobras and told me that Avon was scheduling another production run soon, but I was able to get a set from an online retailer instead.

Not had the Cobras fitted on this bike yet but I did have them on my old 13 FLHX and whilst they still don't compare well to anything I'd fit to a BMW tourer they were a decent improvement over the HD Dunlops.  Recommended tyre pressures for the Cobras are 40/44 according to the Avon website.

FYI I prioritise grip (wet and dry) over mileage.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

Para Bellum,  I had a front Commander II with about 8000 miles on it start to vibrate at 75 mph feeling like its out of balance.  still had about half tread left and no noticeable defects.  Tire was ordered in by dealer from Drag Specialties.  Was not a terrible vibration, just enough to be annoying vibrating bars and mirrors at interstate speed.  Went back to dealer twice to try and figure out if it was balance, tires, bearings, etc.  Was not getting much satisfaction from dealer giving me a story about pressure, road conditions or other causes.  After MTM I got back home and just replaced it instead of dealing with warranty or the dealer.  Consider this another strike on the dealers service department for not trying to help.  Three strikes and they may lose a future bike sale.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 04:01:38 AM »

Para Bellum,  I had a front Commander II with about 8000 miles on it start to vibrate at 75 mph feeling like its out of balance.  Went back to dealer twice to try and figure out if it was balance, tires, bearings, etc.  Was not getting much satisfaction from dealer giving me a story about pressure, road conditions or other causes.  After MTM I got back home and just replaced it instead of dealing with warranty or the dealer.  Consider this another strike on the dealers service department for not trying to help.  Three strikes and they may lose a future bike sale.
Sorry to hear that, TN.  Did they happen to say "they all do that?"   :(
If you want peace, prepare for war.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »

No they did not but I kept waiting for the question why I did not go back to the stock Dunlop.  Disappointed in this dealer.  They have been great over the last 6 years and changed service manager about a year ago.  Their whole attitude has changed.  One of the times I went in about the tire I got the too much air story, I had just checked it the day before then rode 30 miles into dealership.  Service writer tried to tell me it had 50 psi of air which I knew better but let him give me his excuse.  Rode home with tire still vibrating and let tire cool.  Rechecked and it had been reduced to 32 psi.  I work for a high end auto dealership and know my gauge is not more than about 1 psi off.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »

I installed the commander ll's about 3000 miles ago, just got home from Maggie Valley tonight, handled very well in the corners, I just hope they don't cup like the  original Dunlap's so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to hear, just got a CII going to mount it up this weekend...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »

Just added the C II on the 11 last week to replace scalloped elites (really bad scallop)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »

So here’s something funny. I sent an email to the dealer of the tire which was an online company and asked for a photo, Because they were going to start a warranty action for me. So I sent him a photo and they replied please send us a photo with a knife or something sticking in a tire to show that it is destroyed. I have not done that yet because well I really don’t know how to proceed.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »

So here’s something funny. I sent an email to the dealer of the tire which was an online company and asked for a photo, Because they were going to start a warranty action for me. So I sent him a photo and they replied please send us a photo with a knife or something sticking in a tire to show that it is destroyed. I have not done that yet because well I really don’t know how to proceed.
Wow, what a reply. It seems a better reply than that would be more appropriate. Although it sounds like something a dealer employee would say. ::)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »

Looking for a photo on the net to send them
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »

Avon is producing a 180/55-18 in the cobra series with a 80 load rating now

http://www.avonmoto.com/street-tires/cruiser-touring/cobra/

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.