Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: best oil filter  (Read 9623 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: best oil filter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »

The K&N

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »

What is the advantage of the K&N filter that warrants the premium price?  I personally don't need the end nut as I have a proper filter wrench.  I didn't see anything internally that would suggest it is somehow better than the HD filter, but then again I'm admittantly not an oil filter expert.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »

What is the advantage of the K&N filter that warrants the premium price?  I personally don't need the end nut as I have a proper filter wrench.  I didn't see anything internally that would suggest it is somehow better than the HD filter, but then again I'm admittantly not an oil filter expert.
I shop the K&N (usually on Amazon) and get them for $3-5 less than I can get the Harley filters for...
I'll also use Mobil1 filters(made by Champion Labs, same as HD) when I can catch em on sale at Pep Boys...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »

WRE4U,

Have been using the "Savenger sytem" for a couple of years now, works well.
WHUFC   COYI

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 08:32:42 AM »

All the filters offered for Harley's have become overpriced, probably because the companies selling them use the overpriced OEM product as a pricing baseline.  As mentioned above, look for them on sale the same way many of us do when buying oil.

Harley used to claim their filter was 10 micron, then magically they changed the print on the box and it became a 5 micron filter.  As best I can tell, it's still the same filter.  People get caught up in advertising hype and BS, instead of actually studying how these things are actually rated.  Just be aware that some of the beneficial stuff in motor oil is larger than 5 microns in size, then think about that 5 micron filter claim.

Jerry

btw, for those who don't know, 1 micron = 0.00004", so 5 microns would be 0.00020 inches.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:55:36 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Wut the hell was that maneuver

J.D.

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »

I get the $15 MoCo filters @ 20% discount ($12).  Haven't found the K&N chrome filter for less.  I've never had any sort of problem with these (leaks, oil pressure issues) and they seem to have a nice filter element that isn't the old fashioned paper so I really have no reason to switch.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »

This reminds me, aren't we past due for another "Best Oil"  argument  discussion thread?  I think there is a thread quota that is supposed to be met for any board where engines are discussed?   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »

Gave up on the kn filter. Don't like it only seems to grab by a thread or two and also isn't always a standard wrench size with the fake chrome coating. Also last change in a rider who doesn't keep her bike as clean as others, lots of rust on the chrome bolt and it's surrounding round pad which is placed on the end
No problem with hd filter but went to the Hi Flo to see what they are about to save a few bucks. No return changed in one of these yet.
Will

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

Gave up on the kn filter. Don't like it only seems to grab by a thread or two and also isn't always a standard wrench size with the fake chrome coating. Also last change in a rider who doesn't keep her bike as clean as others, lots of rust on the chrome bolt and it's surrounding round pad which is placed on the end
No problem with hd filter but went to the Hi Flo to see what they are about to save a few bucks. No return changed in one of these yet.

K&N knows about this problem of only grabbing a thread or two problem.  They have changed the depth of the inner flange to give full thread engagement.  They sent me two new replacements for my ones with the problem.  They were fine for many years then not to long ago they changed the design which created the problem.  Now they have corrected it.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »

I shop the K&N (usually on Amazon) and get them for $3-5 less than I can get the Harley filters for...
I'll also use Mobil1 filters(made by Champion Labs, same as HD) when I can catch em on sale at Pep Boys...
x2

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »

Used to love K&N filters until they began to show up with "Made Anywhere But Here" printed in microscopic print on them.

I questioned it with the company directly and they responded with the price point argument.

Had to chase out the threads with a tap on the last K&N purchased, just to get it to screw on and I am now done with them.

They may have since improved, but I cannot get past "made in china, or taiwan, or korea,or whatever".

No point in cheaping out on an oil filter, only change it once or twice per year.

rigidorbust

• no such thing as a straight road

• CVO1: 2012 cvo road glide custom
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »

what a bout those, FLO Oil Filters Polished FLO Stainless Steel Reusable Spin-On Oil Filter,are they any good

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »

I've never used the K&N oil filter.  I have used many of their air filters on bikes and cars but the oil filter never interested me . . . because I've seen how much force sometimes must be applied to unscrew oil filters.  On my 2012 with the oem filter at the first oil change I had to use so much force that it actually deformed before it finally gave up.  Now obviously it was put on way too tight from the factory and even though I am careful not to overtighten during installation over time and miles the filter can still get stuck.  A friend just started using the K&N filter and raved about the hex built in made it so easy to remove until one time the filter was stuck and the hex deformed to the point it was not functional.  Had to drive a screwdriver through the filter to twist it off.  Heck changing the oil filter on a Harley touring bike is messy enough without having to puncture it through the side.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

J.D.

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »

Wiping a film of clean oil on the rubber seal then only hand tightening when installing usually is enough to ensure easy removal of most any filter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.