Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Another 114 M8 Bad Oil Pump  (Read 29825 times)

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
Another 114 M8 Bad Oil Pump
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »

For those with doubts, this is a real problem.

I have a 2017 CVO SG, early model year production with 3200 mile on it.

When the bike had about 2800 miles on it I started to notice that on longer rides it would get extremely hot, sluggish and loose power. I also noticed a smell of hot oil. The tone of the engine changed.

I had heard about this sumping/oil pump issue so I started watching the oil level closely.

Went on a ride a couple of days ago, checked the oil level prior to the trip and it showed full on the dip stick. About 100 miles in, the bike again got very hot, became sluggish and smelled of oil. Friends I was riding with commented that on a couple of red light stops when I accelerated they noticed a cloud of blue smoke from my exhaust.

I stopped at a dealership close by and checked my oil, the dip stick showed the bike was at least a quart low. I thought, no way did I burn a quart of oil in 165 miles. I added about a 1/2 quart just to be safe and rode home. The bike ran very hot all the way home. Oil pressure indicator always showed oil pressure OK, never got a check oil light.

By the way the service manager at this dealership immediately asked me what tune I had on the bike and said that was most likely my issue. BS, I knew it was sumping. He said they have not had any bikes with that issue.

I checked the oil when I got home and the dipstick now showed the oil level was high.

Long story short, Bike is at the dealer now, They followed the service bulletin (1450). Found excessive oil in the crank. They torn it down. Bad oil pump, scoured front cylinder and piston.

Harley is covering repairs under warranty.

This oil pump issue is a real problem. MCO should be issuing a recall. 

V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Another 114 M8 Bad Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »

When the bike had about 2800 miles on it I started to notice that on longer rides it would get extremely hot, sluggish and loose power. I also noticed a smell of hot oil. The tone of the engine changed.

I had heard about this sumping/oil pump issue so I started watching the oil level closely.

Went on a ride a couple of days ago, checked the oil level prior to the trip and it showed full on the dip stick. About 100 miles in, the bike again got very hot, became sluggish and smelled of oil. Friends I was riding with commented that on a couple of red light stops when I accelerated they noticed a cloud of blue smoke from my exhaust.

I stopped at a dealership close by and checked my oil, the dip stick showed the bike was at least a quart low. I thought, no way did I burn a quart of oil in 165 miles. I added about a 1/2 quart just to be safe and rode home. The bike ran very hot all the way home. Oil pressure indicator always showed oil pressure OK, never got a check oil light.

By the way the service manager at this dealership immediately asked me what tune I had on the bike and said that was most likely my issue. BS, I knew it was sumping. He said they have not had any bikes with that issue.

I checked the oil when I got home and the dipstick now showed the oil level was high.

Long story short, Bike is at the dealer now, They followed the service bulletin (1450). Found excessive oil in the crank. They torn it down. Bad oil pump, scoured front cylinder and piston.

Sounds all too familiar!

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »

It took, what, a 3rd version to finally get the twin cam right.  Unfortunate but not unprecedented.

divedolphin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »

I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide with a production date of 5/17.  Does anyone know if this late production date will have the most recent oil pump?

Thanks,

Ralph

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »

I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide with a production date of 5/17.  Does anyone know if this late production date will have the most recent oil pump?

Thanks,

Ralph

Definitely not.

divedolphin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »

As previously stated, I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide with a production date of 5/17.  What should I look for other than the obvious engine oil light or check pressure message to determine if I have a faulty oil pump.  I was at my dealer last weekend and asked him about the issue. The service advisor told me not to worry. They have 14 dealerships and have replaced only one (1) oil pump on a very early release of the 2017 CVO.

I have only added about 4 ounces of oil in over 400 miles and the dipstick looks like the oil level is consistent after each ride.

Thanks,

Ralph

Pita

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »

My ‘17 CVO was serviced at a dealer/1K Service. 2,200 miles later, just outside a dealership, my oil light came on at 3200 miles.

Stopped into the service department and they suggested adding a quart of oil-I did, and no issue again (but I put the dealer who did 1K on notice). Then, 1000 miles later, the engine light came on. Took it to a dealer to get checked, and they noted the code that occurred at 3,200 miles.

Now at 5,700 miles, and no issue popped up again—will keep a close eye on this based on your post.

I’ve never had to add a quart of oil on any Harley I’ve owned over the past 7 years—regularly serviced.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »

My ‘17 CVO was serviced at a dealer/1K Service. 2,200 miles later, just outside a dealership, my oil light came on at 3200 miles.

Stopped into the service department and they suggested adding a quart of oil-I did, and no issue again (but I put the dealer who did 1K on notice). Then, 1000 miles later, the engine light came on. Took it to a dealer to get checked, and they noted the code that occurred at 3,200 miles.

Now at 5,700 miles, and no issue popped up again—will keep a close eye on this based on your post.

I’ve never had to add a quart of oil on any Harley I’ve owned over the past 7 years—regularly serviced.

Do you check the oil level with the dipstick on a regular basis, or just wait for the oil light to come on?  Harley's aren't like many modern cars, you still have to check the motor oil for proper level on a regular basis.  By the time the oil light comes on, you could be doing serious damage.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »

Unless the govt requires it for safety (highly unlikely), don't look for the MoCo to issue a recall.  They're already in profit trouble, so a recall would further hurt their bottom line.  The bean-counters will rule here.  They'll compare the cost of recalling every affected bike vs repairing only those still under warranty that are likely to be brought in.  I imagine the "recall" option will lose.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:53:04 AM by Mark »

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »

Mark,
I agree that the moco will try to skate by this issue in the hopes that the bad oil pumps will hold out until after the warranty period is up on the affected bikes. I know alot of people who have 2017 touring bikes who are nervous about how long theirs will hold out. So much for stepping up and doing the right thing. In the meantime, my bike, like many others sit on a lift at the dealership in pieces and I miss out on some premium riding weather. I guess $37,000 also buys some inconvenience.
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »

Look at how the '99-06 situation played out.

Original oil pumps we're a weak design for both oil pressure and scavenging.  Alot of stock bikes blew oil out the breathers from new.  The camplates also had a design flaw where the chain tensioners fail anywhere between 15k-30k and trash the engine.  MoCo tells us 1-quart of oil consumption every 3kmiles is perfectly normal.

2008 they introduce a SE kit with better oil pump and chain tensioners.  Parts and labor in the neighborhood of $1k.  Engines still blowing oil though.

2010 an updated SE kit with better yet oil pump.  Finally got a handle on the oil blowing out the breathers.  Another $1k please.

Not a single recall here.  Consumer's responsibility to pay to fix their design flaw.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

Look at how the '99-06 situation played out.

Original oil pumps we're a weak design for both oil pressure and scavenging.  Alot of stock bikes blew oil out the breathers from new.  The camplates also had a design flaw where the chain tensioners fail anywhere between 15k-30k and trash the engine.  MoCo tells us 1-quart of oil consumption every 3kmiles is perfectly normal.

2008 2007 they introduce a SE kit with better oil pump and chain tensioners.  Parts and labor in the neighborhood of $1k.  Engines still blowing oil though.

2010 an updated SE kit with better yet oil pump.  Finally got a handle on the oil blowing out the breathers.  Another $1k please.

Not a single recall here.  Consumer's responsibility to pay to fix their design flaw.

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »

2008, 2007...whatever.  Point is, HD didn't address the problem for 8 years and didn't get it right the first time.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »

2008, 2007...whatever.  Point is, HD didn't address the problem for 8 years and didn't get it right the first time.
Not picking at you. I agree with you by the way. It's awful the MOCO short changes the faithful owners to make the stock holders happy. After all we just want to ride and enjoy our bikes worry free and not be haunted with issues. Every once in awhile you do run into someone that has been problem free. Trouble is there are more short HD straws than long. Good luck to you sir.

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »

No worries, no offense taken  :daisy:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.