Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 CVO Limited just stops  (Read 1455 times)

Noblesteed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO Dyna Fat Bob
    • CVO3: 2004 Noble M400
2017 CVO Limited just stops
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »

Just got a 2017 CVO Limited. The bike has done 1800miles from new when I purchased it from a Harley Dealer in England. I rode it home with no problem (45 miles) and the next day it just cut out for no reason. Cycled the run switch off then on (no ignition switch on these models now) and blipped the fob lock/unlock, the bike then started and then failed again 2 miles later just arriving home. After a short time it then started but the Engine Check Light remained on. The dealer sent a truck to collect the bike the next day. It started OK (but with the ECL on) and as I started to move it up the ramp onto the truck it failed again and would not re-start.
Dealer had the bike for about 10 days as the diagnostic codes (DTCs) said it was a fuel pump issue. New fuel pump fitted and I collected the bike to ride home. At the dealers when I switched the kill switch on the handlebar from off to run the ECL light illuminated and did not go out after 4 seconds as I now believe it should (I didn't know that at the time). The ECL light did however go out after engine start.
20 miles later on the motorway (Freeway), constant speed around 60mph engine just stopped, as I coasted to the side of the road I looked down and there was the red security light on - no other lights at all. Once I had stopped I turned the kill switch off then on, lights then present were 'Neutral', 'Oil Press', flashing 'ABS', 'Engine check light' (again this did not go out after 4 secs) and the 'security light'. Bike would crank but not start.
Back to the Dealers in a truck, they have now checked all the handlebar wiring, changed the wiring to the (new) fuel pump and changed the BCU (Body Control Unit) with another bike. My bike still stopped after running for 20 mins so it is not the BCU. They are changing the ECU? next to see if that is the problem.
Sorry this is quite a long write up, but there are relatively few CVOs in the UK, have any of you guys seen a problem like this or have any ideas.
I am sure the Dealer will get this sorted, just wondered if anyone has any ideas 'thinking outside the box'. Thank you for any help

Richard

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2017 CVO Limited just stops
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

Bad switch gear? I had my handlebar switches replaced twice... Here's the story:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »

my right handlebar switch was replaced on mine before it had 11 miles on it .... 16 RGU ... didnt even know till i was asking for invoice for other warranty work and i was reading them over  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Noblesteed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:26:08 AM »

OK,  I know they have checked the continuity of the handlebar wiring, the switch itself obviosly needs to be checked. I will pass that on. Any other ideas from anyone gratefully received?

Richard

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »

I would think it has to be the right hand on-off switch.
Bill

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »

I once had a loose relay on the fuse panel on my 12 Street Glide. Pushed it in all the way and solved the problem. Before I did that it would just stop running. Wait for 5 min. And it would take off again.

Noblesteed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »

Just spoken to the dealer and it looks like (hopefully) they have traced the problem to a poor earth connection to the frame under the fuel (gas) tank. The weather has been so bad today they have not been out on the road on the bike but the engine had been stopping whilst idling in the workshop over the last couple of days, in other words the problem was getting worse which did at least make it a bit easier to track down I suppose.
Thank you to the guys that replied, much appreciated. I have to say searching the forum there do seem to be quite a few problems around with these bikes. Given the amount of money they cost I am a little surprised. I have riddern Hondas for years with almost no problems and indeed had a Victory Kingpin when they were first imported to the UK, also with no trouble. Still, it's possible for any machanical or electronic equipment to fail and I suppose with all the emmisions stuff around these days bikes (and cars) are just getting so complicated we'd better all get used to it.
Hope to get the bike back midweek. Thanks again to all
Richard

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »

Welcome to the Harley universe! Things can happen.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.