Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stalling out on idle....Q.  (Read 1762 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Stalling out on idle....Q.
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:48:09 AM »

I was wondering if I could get a bit of info on idol stalling? 2007 Ultra Classic this is something new that has started.

The problem doesn't happen all the time. It happens on slow and fast running then when I have to come to a stop the motor will cut out.
It will restart no problems and will idol but once I go and have to stop again it will stall out again. Like I said it's not all the time. I did a 160 mile run this weekend with no problems but the day before it wanted to cut out every time slowed down to stop.
Some I've spoken to think it's getting to hot and the rear cylinder cuts out, don't know/think mine has that option.
Anyway I know it's not getting to hot.

I put on new plus leads and plugs, no change. Plugs had a good light gray to them.
I asked a buddy that was running behind me on the weekend run if he noticed any smoking between shifts or acceleration, he said no but could smell it is running rich.

I'm going to have to book it in the shop.
Q.  what is it I should have them do and check on. Would it be a diagnostic or to be put on the Dino to be tuned

Is there anything else specific I should have them check on?  Thanks for any input.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:09:27 AM by longlast »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Stalling out on idol...Q.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »

My 07 did that, as I recall it was a bit of trash or debris that caused the throttle body to stick.  Good luck getting this resolved!
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »

Two things jump to mind- clean the IAC (idle air control) pintle, in case that's dirty enough to cause an issue, and replace the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), as it helps the ECM control the idle when coming to a stop.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »

Two things jump to mind- clean the IAC (idle air control) pintle, in case that's dirty enough to cause an issue, and replace the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), as it helps the ECM control the idle when coming to a stop.

X2!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:46:48 AM »

Cheers guys, I'll do a clean up on those items :2vrolijk_21:

It's been mentioned to get it remapped to sort out the running rich issue. Is that the way to go?
I was also asked if I had a fuel management system installed which I do, it's a fuelpak management system, but I don't know if the values are set correctly for the bike. It was on the bike when I got it, I'm assuming it is correctly set.

Would the fuelpak have any affect on it running rich?

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »

It's been mentioned to get it remapped to sort out the running rich issue. Is that the way to go?
I was also asked if I had a fuel management system installed which I do, it's a fuelpak management system, but I don't know if the values are set correctly for the bike. It was on the bike when I got it, I'm assuming it is correctly set.

i would confirm all the engine sensors are working correctly before doing any retuning.

we had an engine temp sensor sending false/intermitent reading to the ecm which was causing the motor to run rough at times due to the ecm enriching the fuel mixture

they monitored the the bike at idol with their digit-tech unit and every time the bike would start running rough the engine temp was reading something like 20f.   

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:37:16 PM by Cat Eye »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »

Absolutely!  Of course it can also be caused by many other things, some as simple as a restricted air cleaner.  Rather than assume anything, I'd suggest having some detailed diagnostics performed.  Once all the basics are either found to be good or repaired, then you might want to look into a better tuning option.  A Fuel Pak, especially the early versions, is far from optimal.  It's the kind of system people bought because they were led to believe it was the simple and less expensive alternative compared to the full featured systems. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

Thanks guys,
It seems I have a few contributing factors going on.
Air breather is new has around 5/600 miles on it.
I have been getting codes coming up, Po132 & Po152  Front and Rear O2 sensor high (rich) right now it's showing the front another time it'll show the rear. That's in the (P) code check.
I keep getting one other code that pops up in the (S) that's 1154 the number comes under  B1154 clutch switch short to ground. But I think that's a conversation for another day.

I'll do a clean up on the IAC and the VSS  with the new plugs and wires then book it in for a diagnostic check and a tuning.
At least now when I talk to the service I'll have a bit of an advantage to what I'm talking about.
Once it's done I'll post the outcome.
Thanks for all the help.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »

Idol--a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved or revered.
Idle--an engine run slowly disconnected from a load or out of gear. ;)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:08:27 AM »

I was wondering how long it was going to take for the type"0"  to be commented on.

Thanks for the definition lesson it was helpful inflammation  ;)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Stalling out on idle....Q.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:18:53 AM »

Never notice stuff like that, just figured it meant the idol on your bike was very lazy & sleeping on the job.  ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Stalling out on idle....Q.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 03:45:59 AM »

My idol seems to be idling fine so far after doing a clean up on the VSS and the IAC I've had no fault codes
re-appear so far. I've only done around 20 odd miles the weather's been rubbish but this coming weekend is going to be up in the 20s so I'll be putting some miles on and see if the codes come back and it stays idling.

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.