Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2013 cvo king suspention rear.  (Read 2203 times)

mikie3737

2013 cvo king suspention rear.
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »

hello all. I have a 2013 cvo king, I am close to 300 lbs, I was never able to get the stock rear shocks dialed in. I ended up putting legend air shocks and a air lift wireless compressor set up. I really love the idea of raising and lowering the bike, but the ride in the rear is still horrible. I tried everything. I run the shocks at 100 psi and it still feels like every tiny bump I run over I feel it. these are not the legend aero shocks but still for over a grand in shock alone it should take bumps a little better. will someone convince me on the Monroe home made air ride? I hear nothing but good things about this set up. I also have a 2004 ultra and that bike rides over the bumps like a caddy !!! stock air shocks also !!! thanks for any feedback, ride safe, Michael.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: 2013 cvo king suspention rear.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:54 AM »

Have looked at Ohlins?
I just installed the HD-159. They come with a preload spring based on you weight and riding style.

Amazing difference from the stock HD premium that came with my 15 SG.

mikie3737

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »

yes I read a lot of good thing about the ohlins. I would like to stay with a air ride so I have the option to air down the back end for easy exit from the bike.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »

I am using Ohlin HD-159 on the back of my 13 CVO King.  I just love them, went with 13 inch length not the low 12inch they use on CVO's other than Ultras.  More travel gives better ride and more lean angle. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »

yes I read a lot of good thing about the ohlins. I would like to stay with a air ride so I have the option to air down the back end for easy exit from the bike.

Sounds like you might have the best option out there seeing you want the drop suspension.

At the 100 psi, what is the sag when you sit on the bike?  Rule of thumb is that it should be 1/3 of the total shock stroke.

mikie3737

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »

cat eye, this is were im am confused. I put 100 psi in and when I sit on the bike there is like no movement down, its like a rock. lets say I air them up to 80psi, than it is like riding on a hard tail. I mean I really feel everything. I tried all pressures and have no luck. just not happy at all. ps, when I do put in like 80 psi, yes I do get some downward movement but like I said, It feels like I have no shocks at all, even a little crack in the pavement I feel it bad.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:21 AM »

I'm not familiar with the air shocks you're using, but your post isn't the first one I've seen complaining about ride quality with those shocks.  What does Legend say the operating pressure range should be? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 12:57:13 PM »

I have a 15 RoadGlide Ultra that I installed the Monroe conversion. I found that you really need a gauge to adjust while in flight. My set up doesn't lift the bike until 80 psi. and I do not get any sag. For two up (about 300 lbs.) I have to have a least 125 psi on the gauge. The pressure changes as the weight increases on the bike. They ride as good as the stock HD shocks. The biggest problem I have is with leak down in the shocks. I am fixing to put the 3rd shock on the right side. They say this is not a normal problem so I am giving them one more chance. Being able to lower the bike is why I put them on and they do that part.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

mikie3737

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »

jerry, I never found any info on legends web site. I guess I would have to call tech support. again though, I went through all pressures with no luck.
mikey, I think I am going to try that Monroe conversion. I did a lot of reading this morning and mostly good stories with them. I thank all for the input.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »

jerry, I never found any info on legends web site. I guess I would have to call tech support. again though, I went through all pressures with no luck.
mikey, I think I am going to try that Monroe conversion. I did a lot of reading this morning and mostly good stories with them. I thank all for the input.

You might want to give legend a call.
From what I’ve heard there customer support is pretty good....sounds like
something not working correctly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:47 PM »

You might want to give legend a call.
From what I’ve heard there customer support is pretty good....sounds like
something not working correctly

I was thinking the same thing.  I looked on their site and the technical details just weren't there (and they should have full specs IMHO).   I'd call them, let them know what problems you're having, and ask for assistance.

Btw, who installed the shocks?  The reason I ask is that they have a big warning about NOT adding air to the new shocks with the shock fully extended and not bearing weight, like what would happen if they were pressurized with the bike sitting on a lift.  Doing so can damage the air bags.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »

hello all. I have a 2013 cvo king, I am close to 300 lbs, I was never able to get the stock rear shocks dialed in. I ended up putting legend air shocks and a air lift wireless compressor set up. I really love the idea of raising and lowering the bike, but the ride in the rear is still horrible. I tried everything. I run the shocks at 100 psi and it still feels like every tiny bump I run over I feel it. these are not the legend aero shocks but still for over a grand in shock alone it should take bumps a little better. will someone convince me on the Monroe home made air ride? I hear nothing but good things about this set up. I also have a 2004 ultra and that bike rides over the bumps like a caddy !!! stock air shocks also !!! thanks for any feedback, ride safe, Michael.

You might consider calling Legend and going to their Front Cartridges, I realize that you think the problem is in the rear (and it may well be?) but sometimes it's in the front, being mis-matched...

For any good suspension, the Front & Rear have to play well together...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Pymie

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 05:10:20 AM »

I have/had installed Monroe's on a 2009 CVO and found that 60 psi is the max for the shocks. Trick is to laid up and extend the shocks to half height ONLY. I have blown out a shock by extending too far. BSR loves the lower to mount/dismount.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »

Check out Dirty Air. They have several setup's. They have the Monroe type shocks in 13" and 14". I have the old Legend shocks and the up/down buttons on the handle bars. My biggest problem was not the down but slowwwww back up. The Dirty Air fast up rear package did it for me. I also used the 1/4" tubing. The hardest part was hiding the parts. Anyway just took a little playing with the switches as I barely have to touch the up and bam. Great for dropping at traffic lights and instantly back up instead of waiting for them to slowly come up. If I didn't already have the old Legends I would have opted for the 13" shocks they offer as the 14" I would fall over as I have short legs. I did however pump them up to much a couple of times and could barely touch my toes. Also I no longer have leak down which I had before. Although when I get off I just drop them. The bigger compressor and small holding tank made the difference. Funny part was the first time I aired them up the bike came up so suddenly bout knocked me down.  :huepfenlol2:

mikie3737

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »

thank you all for the input. I am going to go with the Monroe and give it a shot. for that amount of mony if its a fail im not out a lot. if it is still not good, I will be going with the ohlins that every says are great. thanks again.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.