Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soot on the Tail Pipe  (Read 3249 times)

Bill E

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE Sherwood Pearl
Soot on the Tail Pipe
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »

New 2018 CVO Road Glide M8 117. Before I purchased the bike, the dealer had installed V&H Power Duals with Cobra Exhaust.  At 1000 miles the left pipe is covered with soot and the right pipe is clean as a whistle.  With a hand check it feels as though the pipe is pushing more exhaust through the right side (clean side) than the left side.  Called V&H and they told me this is normal.   Makes sense I guess since there are more bends on the left pipe.  Seriously considering another pipe. 

Durwood

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Sheffer Performance H-D
Re: Soot on the Tail Pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »

New 2018 CVO Road Glide M8 117. Before I purchased the bike, the dealer had installed V&H Power Duals with Cobra Exhaust.  At 1000 miles the left pipe is covered with soot and the right pipe is clean as a whistle.  With a hand check it feels as though the pipe is pushing more exhaust through the right side (clean side) than the left side.  Called V&H and they told me this is normal.   Makes sense I guess since there are more bends on the left pipe.  Seriously considering another pipe.
I wouldn't change the pipes just for that, you will have the same scenario no matter which 2-1-2 pipe you choose.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »

What was used to tune the bike for the changes to the exhaust?

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »

There is always more flow from the right pipe than the left.  The right is straight out the back and the left has to make two 90 degree bends.  The left pipe is basically there to allow bleed-off of excess exhaust that can't be pushed out the right under harder acceleration.  That all being said, soot is not a good thing, and may indicate incomplete combustion from a bad tune.  It could lead to fouled plugs (you have four of them), O2 sensors and the Catalytic converter.  Harley has to comply with EPA rules on tunes.  The problem with that, is that if they use an approved EPA tune with a mix of aftermarket pipes that are not EPA compliant, the tune will not be right......and you get soot.   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:33:32 AM by NH Bulldog »
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »

Congratulations on the new bike, btw.  Since it's new, the left side pipe will pick up more debris than the right due to the belt being on the left side.  One, the bike being new will wear in the new belt with "dust" coming from it.  Two, the belt movement also contributes to a bit more dust/debris on the left/primary side pipe.  If everything is sealed up on the new V&H exhaust with the Cobra mufflers, you shouldn't have any issues with dust from that.  Lack of a catalyst will cause more air flow through the pipes and out the back which can stir up dust a bit more which will cause a dirtier rear end on the bike after a good ride.  However, if you are worried about the pipes, look inside the rear of the mufflers.  If you have a dark to medium grey tint to the inside of the muffler, you are good to go.  Anything black or really light grey can either be too rich or too lean (...or if you have an opportunity to still get leaded racing gas, the inside of the pipe will be very light grey if it's running correctly....sure miss those days... :( )...anyway, on a new bike, the belt will wear in causing more debris on the primary side pipe.

Just something to think about before changing exhaust and spending more money.... ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Bill E

• SC

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

What was used to tune the bike for the changes to the exhaust?

I was told it was a pro street tuner.

Bill E

• SC

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »

There is always more flow from the right pipe than the left.  The right is straight out the back and the left has to make two 90 degree bends.  The left pipe is basically there to allow bleed-off of excess exhaust that can't be pushed out the right under harder acceleration.  That all being said, soot is not a good thing, and may indicate incomplete combustion from a bad tune.  It could lead to fouled plugs (you have four of them), O2 sensors and the Catalytic converter.  Harley has to comply with EPA rules on tunes.  The problem with that, is that if they use an approved EPA tune with a mix of aftermarket pipes that are not EPA compliant, the tune will not be right......and you get soot.   

Do you think I should consider a different tuner and download the map myself?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »

Well, I see at least one dealership didn't believe Harley and the EPA when they said tampering with the emission system would no longer be tolerated.  Did they give you the stock parts they removed?  If not, you need to tell them you want them since you might need to reinstall them before having major warranty repairs.

There is less flow from the left pipe unless you install a true dual system without a collector.  Otherwise, the exhaust will tend to flow more on the side with the straighter and shorter path.  However, that doesn't mean you should have a heavy buildup of "soot" at the outlet of the left muffler.  Some difference can be expected, but not a huge amount.

Now that the bike is already illegal, may as well go all the way and get a real tuning system and have the bike professionally tuned.  The canned maps Harley has for the Street Tuner won't be optimized for an aftermarket exhaust.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bill E

• SC

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »

Well, I see at least one dealership didn't believe Harley and the EPA when they said tampering with the emission system would no longer be tolerated.  Did they give you the stock parts they removed?  If not, you need to tell them you want them since you might need to reinstall them before having major warranty repairs.

There is less flow from the left pipe unless you install a true dual system without a collector.  Otherwise, the exhaust will tend to flow more on the side with the straighter and shorter path.  However, that doesn't mean you should have a heavy buildup of "soot" at the outlet of the left muffler.  Some difference can be expected, but not a huge amount.

Now that the bike is already illegal, may as well go all the way and get a real tuning system and have the bike professionally tuned.  The canned maps Harley has for the Street Tuner won't be optimized for an aftermarket exhaust.

Jerry

Jerry - No on the parts from the dealer.  I will ask them for them though.

The soot is heavy.  Do you have a recommendation on a tuner?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »

My usual response to questions about tuning software is to first find the fully qualified professional you plan to have do the tuning, then ask him for his recommendation.  Folks don't normally tell a mechanic what tools to use on their bike or car for mechanical repairs, and the tuning software is just another kind of tool.  If you're determined to just do it yourself, good choices would include TTS MasterTune and Power Vision; I'm sure people will throw out others they prefer as well.

Btw, never assume the Harley dealership is a good place to get a good tune.  Just because they have a dyno doesn't mean they can perform top quality tunes.  Check out any independents in your area that specialize in dyno tuning and ask for references/suggestions from other bikers.  You can also ask the companies selling tuning software who they recommend in your area.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »

My usual response to questions about tuning software is to first find the fully qualified professional you plan to have do the tuning, then ask him for his recommendation.  Folks don't normally tell a mechanic what tools to use on their bike or car for mechanical repairs, and the tuning software is just another kind of tool.  If you're determined to just do it yourself, good choices would include TTS MasterTune and Power Vision; I'm sure people will throw out others they prefer as well.

Btw, never assume the Harley dealership is a good place to get a good tune.  Just because they have a dyno doesn't mean they can perform top quality tunes.  Check out any independents in your area that specialize in dyno tuning and ask for references/suggestions from other bikers.  You can also ask the companies selling tuning software who they recommend in your area.

JMHO - Jerry
I agree Jerry. Last time I had a tune done a dealer the tuner handed it back to me and said. I know what I'm doing and I did the best I could but I have never tuned that big of motor and I couldn't keep up with it. Also there is more in there. I replied thanks for being honest however you still charged me the same as the EXPERT I will be taking it to from here to have it done right. Result was Expert calls me right away and says clutch is slipping at WOT. Then says I have the cure as long as your left hand is strong enough. Result 5 more mpg, 10more hp and 10 more tq.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.