Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Need help from winter riders  (Read 3353 times)

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
Re: Need help from winter riders
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »

harley used to sell winter oil.. i have not ridden in the winter much the last 7 years or so.. [have not even looked for it in a long time..]  but when i did, id put in the light oil and have zero starting issues.

to

Yeah but then I ran Nitro 70.

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

Thanks all.  I pulled the battery out and had it tested. It was only putting out 280 CCA instead of the 315 CCA specified on the battery.  The battery had only been through 1 winter.  I got a new battery and is starting fine today. I will see if this lasts a full winter.

Hope that fixed the issues and it will last through this and many more winters.  I've had some issues with it sitting outside during the coldest days (25 for the high) and had one issue over those periods when Beauregard didn't want to start.  It was after it had been in the garage for a few days without the tender added.  Got home that afternoon and put it on tender overnight for the next day to work ride and no more starting issues...cold can kill a battery faster than a 44 Magnum....
I do have an option for sitting the bike inside at work and have taken advantage of it during the extreme cold days just so the battery isn't exposed day after day.

Side note:  Good for you in riding and attempting to ride all year round even in Kansas.  I see the posts from our good members up North about winterizing and putting the bike up for winter....dang those are some sad, sad words.  Not saying we don't have some bad weather days here in E. TN but not so many I have to store.

Good luck with the new battery.... :2vrolijk_21:

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »

I have found that the "Deltran" Battery Tender Plus (not jr.) works the best for me. I have 5 of them and they work flawlessly.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »

i never put my bike away for winter till after i got into my 50's... even now i go out for a ride every so often..  one reason i do less of it is the problems i had with wiring in my 2000 road glide - the salt on the roads really eats at the connectors - and all the clean queen guys make fun of bikes that get ridden.   i just ignore them but fixing salt corroded electrical connectors started to really suck.

if I'm out riding with others ill take off down some gravel road i really like - the rest look like i pissed on there wheaties - in the 70's i lived on a gravel road - ride on gravel or don't ride - its no big deal...

about 12 years ago my wife and i rode through eisenhower tunnel with hard snow on both ends - the road was fine but there was no getting off to warm up till we got down - a foot of snow on both sides.

neither of us could do that now.....
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.