Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting my comp sprocket.  (Read 1661 times)

Tommytonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Need help troubleshooting my comp sprocket.
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »

I have a 2015 FLTRUSE, CVO Roadglide Ultra. 30,000 miles currently, I bought it with 10K miles and put the last 20,000 on it trouble free (No warranty)
Just a day or so ago I noticed an inconsistent tick in the motor, somewhere. It's not a consistent tick like a valve....
It's grown worse slightly in in a few days and maybe 50 miles. Often I hear a loud or pretty solid click when I shut the motor off. I don't get ANY unusual noise on start up. I have noticed some shudder on takeoff a few times like I've lugged the motor... I've chalked it up to the hydraulic clutch???? It seems like it's the comp sprocket to me but obviously I'm not real sure. All the reading I've done it's all about upgrading to the SE comp...but I already have that and it's hard to believe that it would fail so soon.
Hit me with questions so maybe we can figure this out.
Thanks in advance for any insight

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: Need help troubleshooting my comp sprocket.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:58 AM »

In my experience the compensator doesn't tick or click, it clunks or grinds.  A serious problem at starting is the motor kicks back against the starter sometimes causing the starter to grind against the ring gear.  You will find lots of debris on the drain plug magnet.

One good thing is the comp usually takes a long time to fail.  It is also not hard to inspect the comp, just remove the outer primary and get down on your knees and look it over.  Put a torque wrench on it and make sure it is tight.

I had two fail on my 09 FLHTCU Third one was the new SE and it lasted till I traded.  My current 12 CVO still has the original and doesn't seem to have a problem.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Tommytonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »

I appreciate the insight for sure! The inconsistency of the tick is what throws me, it's not random but certainly not consistent with every stroke of the motor????
The way I hear the solidness of the click at shutdown (most times) is what baffles me!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »

With 30K miles on it, it's time to replace the lifters.  They are a known problem, and if one of them goes, it can take out the whole engine.  Without warranty/ESP, that will drain the wallet.  While this doesn't solve your current dilemma, it's worth the expense to prevent the dreaded "grenade" these engines are famous for.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Tommytonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »

Copy on the lifters! By the time I got it to the shop it was distinct enough to confidently think it's a bent lifter on the rear cyl. We'll know in a day or two.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »

Glad you caught it before it took out the engine.  Much cheaper this way!   ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:04 AM »

Copy on the lifters! By the time I got it to the shop it was distinct enough to confidently think it's a bent lifter on the rear cyl. We'll know in a day or two.

Please explain what a bent lifter is?   I think you have your explanation of the noise a bit askew.

Collapsed lifter perhaps?   Have the dealer show you a lifter.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Tommytonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »

Lol...I had push rod in my brain while typing, but I guess I said lifter😳

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Need help troubleshooting my comp sprocket.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:12:19 AM »

Lol - would have been funnier from the reader perspective had it been a Freudian slip

Or maybe a bent pushrod had other meanings haha
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:54:47 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »

I have a 2015 FLTRUSE, CVO Roadglide Ultra. 30,000 miles currently, I bought it with 10K miles and put the last 20,000 on it trouble free (No warranty)
Just a day or so ago I noticed an inconsistent tick in the motor, somewhere. It's not a consistent tick like a valve....
It's grown worse slightly in in a few days and maybe 50 miles. Often I hear a loud or pretty solid click when I shut the motor off. I don't get ANY unusual noise on start up. I have noticed some shudder on takeoff a few times like I've lugged the motor... I've chalked it up to the hydraulic clutch???? It seems like it's the comp sprocket to me but obviously I'm not real sure. All the reading I've done it's all about upgrading to the SE comp...but I already have that and it's hard to believe that it would fail so soon.
Hit me with questions so maybe we can figure this out.  Comps knock not tick. Try holding brake down and letting clutch out in first gear. If comp knocks, you can hear what it sounds like. I am on my forth for  my 2008 and at least this one only knocks when cold on first take off.Thanks in advance for any insight

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.