Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2  (Read 464 times)

gmeikle

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

I have just finished putting a 2009 Crossbones front end onto my 2008 FXSTSSE2.

My CVO front end was bent , and was an $8,300 "dealer repair" job here in Australia.

From a 10MPH bingle with no damage to tank of front fender ?

I found a 2011 Softail telescopic front end "new bike take-off". All the parts required but never made the move , "too hard basket..."

So I started looking for a used Crossbones front end , lots sold in Australia , not so the FXSTSSE2 CVO Springer , they were always a rare beast.

A used Crossbones front turns up after waiting 4 months+ where a guy was building ( a rather nice !) Custom bike with black upside down forks yada yada..

Not quite a 100% bolt on. I used the OEM CVO front fender and Mag wheel. Had to make spacers for the Crossbones/CVO Springer combo axle/fender mounting system.

I printed off all the exploded diagrams for Crossbones and 2008 CVO Springer with part numbers from Ronnie's HD , how useful were they. Probably 50%+ of the part numbers were "matching" between the 2008 CVO Springer and the Crossbones , quite reassuring. Diagrams showed me which parts would interchange.

Forks are now all Gloss Black of course , not Black Diamond rigid fork with Chrome Springer fork , but I reused as much of the CVO Chrome hardware as I could.

Also had to use the Crossbones top tree , quite a different shape. Bike now has "more rake" than a stock CVO Springer , looks quite good. First ride tomorrow and we'll see how I fared rebuilding the Springer spring setups , here's hoping for a good outcome.

So in short it can be done ! Just a bit labour intensive is all !

No illegitimi carborundum

Haird

• Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God
  • 5k CVO Member
  • JOY is Jesus Over You
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire...Beauregard
    • CVO2: "Ginger" was my 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon and she's moved on to other pastures
    • CVO3: "Tiger" is my 2005 Hot Orange and blue MINI convertible. WAR EAGLE!
Re: Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

Let me be the first to congratulate and supply the familiar phrase......(before and after....please)...

:worthless:

IBA # 8562
T.G.I.F.  Today, God Is First

"I may be labeled a religious nut but I'm fastened to the bolt that is Jesus Christ" Adrian Rogers

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"  George Harrison

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 1997 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2008 Custom FatBoy
    • CVO3: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:06 PM »

Let me be the first to congratulate and supply the familiar phrase......(before and after....please)...

:worthless:
X2

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.