Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headsets which is best  (Read 1679 times)

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
Headsets which is best
« on: November 14, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »

Ive come to the conclusion the stock headset from my 2015 CVO Limited is a POS. The plug at the helmet continually loses conection. What is the best wired replacement. Not interested in the pricey Bluetooth systems.
DR

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Headsets which is best
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »

I couldn’t keep the plug in either, thought about glueing it in but just quit using it. I considered the cost of wireless and decided that since I spent $40k on the bike, another $600 wasn’t going to make much difference. Bought my setup from horneytoad at 20% discount and talked the dealer into flashing it for free. For me, it was a great decision, because it’s really a Sena product and it is a high quality product. I’m glad I got it.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »

Anything can be solved with $$$.

If cost is a primary factor, check out eBay for used or new replacement H-D headsets. If you have a little more coin to spend, check out J&M electronics, I’ve heard good things about their quality. Or just move into the 21st century and go with the new WHIM and H-D headsets.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »

http://www.edsets.com/
Great product, excellent service. Can talk to Ed when you call.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »

My wife and I have used J&M headsets for many years and have been well pleased with them.  They are modular and parts can be replaced easily.  Had a speaker crap out after several years and no big deal to get a replacement.  I too have heard good things about Ed Sets but I think they are a bit more pricey than J&M.

If you decide to go with J&M I highly recommend buying from Sierra Electronics - https://www.sierra-mc.com/ - as they discount.  I've bought just the headsets and installed myself but bought our current HJC modular helmets from Sierra and had them install new headsets.  They did a great job and install was free if I remember correctly.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »

I am a rider who prefers listening to music rather than my exhaust. I have both the J&M and Edset headsets in modular helmets. The helmets are similar and carbon fiber. I can tell you that the J&M headsets are far superior but both are superior to the Harley headsets.

For me, once I got used to the cord, I liked it. The cordless headsets are very pricey and require a whim. You also wind up with additional batteries to charge each night. I haven't used them but friends who have like them. There is also a specific thread in this board about the new Harley Bluetooth headsets.

I see that you were in Southern California. If you'd like, you're welcome to come by and test mine out.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »

Like the old saying goes... "they don't make things like they used to".

If you can find the old style H-D headset (with the large plug at both ends of the cord) they work marvellously.

I'm still using my original from my '08 with no concerns at all, but many of my friends with the newer set (with the smaller plug at the helmet end) constantly have the same problem you are experiencing.  One of those friends still had an older style from a previous bike, switch to using it, and have never had a problem since.

Good luck!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »

J&M headsets are much better than the HD ones.  Have used them for years, no issues, good company, good reputation.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

AskCVO

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »

SOCAL, I have a set of J&M headsets for half helmets, very reasonable price. PM me if interested.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »

I find the HD headsets great for us, But since we bought the 15 my wife just can not keep the helmet end plugged in. She refuses to hold the cord, or tuck it in her jacket and the weight of the cord works it loose in the helmet as it swings around. Mine has never came loose. Hers does all the time.
I know most like the J&M, Greg mentions above he finds them better than the edsets. I had a guy give me a new set after bikeweek which he bought from Sierra. He decided he didn't like his helmet and bought a new one with another headset. I installed them and totally disagree with anyone who likes them, used them about a month and put the HD ones back in. Much better, fuller sound, for us.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

I find the HD headsets great for us, But since we bought the 15 my wife just can not keep the helmet end plugged in. She refuses to hold the cord, or tuck it in her jacket and the weight of the cord works it loose in the helmet as it swings around. Mine has never came loose. Hers does all the time.
I know most like the J&M, Greg mentions above he finds them better than the edsets. I had a guy give me a new set after bikeweek which he bought from Sierra. He decided he didn't like his helmet and bought a new one with another headset. I installed them and totally disagree with anyone who likes them, used them about a month and put the HD ones back in. Much better, fuller sound, for us.
J&M does have two series of headsets - Performance and Elite.  The Elite have larger and I think better speakers.  I've only ever had the Elite headsets and I can say for sure they are great.  Disclaimer - I've not tried the newer H-D headsets only the older style from the 90s and early 2000s which were crap imo.  i think the newer H-Ds are much improved but there is still the problem with the cable disconnecting.  Have not had any problem with the J&Ms.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »

J&M in 3/4 helmets worked well. Agree better than HD. We have Bluetooth in our modular helmets and they work well.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.