Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power connector  (Read 1240 times)

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
Power connector
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »

I have my phone on my bars and use it for navigation and need to install a port to charge my phone.  On touring bikes there was a switched power connector under the seat for power accessories.  I didn’t see one under the set of my Breakout, is there one somewhere?

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
Re: Power connector
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »

Do you already have the mount and power connector, and only need a place to connect the wires?  If so, you can use a simple electrical connection kit Harley sells to provide a switched source or a constant on source, your choice.  I strongly recommend only using a switched source however.  Take a look at the harness at this link:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/electrical-connection-upgrade-kit

The harness basically attaches at the connector for the data port (digital technician connection) and you connect your accessory's power and ground wires to the other end of the small connection harness by splicing, either with the connectors from the kit or by soldering and shrink wrapping, your choice.  There are three wires, one for ground and then two for power, one is switched and one is not.

I've attached a pdf of the instructions, you can also find them on that linked page under the "More Information" tab.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »

You could use this.  https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/handlebar-mount-auxiliary-power-port-pa-05-69200855--1

Thank you! I have that, but lost the instructions. Lol

Do you already have the mount and power connector, and only need a place to connect the wires?  If so, you can use a simple electrical connection kit Harley sells to provide a switched source or a constant on source, your choice.  I strongly recommend only using a switched source however.  Take a look at the harness at this link:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/electrical-connection-upgrade-kit

The harness basically attaches at the connector for the data port (digital technician connection) and you connect your accessory's power and ground wires to the other end of the small connection harness by splicing, either with the connectors from the kit or by soldering and shrink wrapping, your choice.  There are three wires, one for ground and then two for power, one is switched and one is not.

I've attached a pdf of the instructions, you can also find them on that linked page under the "More Information" tab.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry!  So, reading those instructions, I just plug it into the same spot that my Power Vision plugs into?

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »

Thank you! I have that, but lost the instructions. Lol

Thank you Jerry!  So, reading those instructions, I just plug it into the same spot that my Power Vision plugs into?

Chris

Pretty much.  When you remove the rubber weather cap from the bike connector and connect the new harness, you transfer the rubber cap to the other end of that harness.  That is where you would connect a Scan Tool like the Digital Technician, a PV, etc.  This is a much cleaner solution than adding a new circuit from the battery, an inline fuse, and a relay triggered by a normally switched circuit, but that method is also OK.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout - Molten Silver / Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2006 V Rod Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »

Thanks for the info here guys, much appreciated   :mango:

I was going to use the loom from my battery tender & then use the battery tender to USB adaptor but wasn't happy that it would be constantly powered

The option you have here solves that issue  :orange:

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.