Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom 6.5 Button Lights  (Read 1304 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
Boom 6.5 Button Lights
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »

Purchased a 2016 Road Glide Ultra CVO after the 2009 Street Glide engine failed.  Had a few things that the dealer corrected but this one took a few months.  Noticed that the button lights would come on and then go out after the radio finished the self check.  Dealer replaced radio twice, checked for loose wires, checked the plugs for a pin problem, and even swapped the right side switch assembly.  After doing this, the lights would come on and then go out.  Finally contacted Milwaukee and rep came down once and could not duplicate the problem.  Thought it might be "electrical interference" from power lines.  Came back a few weeks later with same problem.  The rep came back and after a few hours found the problem.  Seems that is turn the radio off and then turn off the motorcycle, when start back up the lights will come on and the go out.  If leave the radio on and turn the bike off, the lights come on and stay on.  Tried this on several bikes, new and used, on the show room floor and also called Milwaukee which duplicated the problem up there also.  Was told that there was a software fix coming.  This was in July on this year.  Kept inquiring and checking for update.  Heard that there may not be a fix for this coming as there has never been a complaint other than this one received.  Granted that not everyone turns off the radio and then the motorcycle but this could be rolled into another revision.  There are times that do not want to listen to radio, send or receive phone calls and look at the gps; just listen to the engine and wind!  Would like to know if other people have observed this and contact dealer for fix.  If enough people report this problem then perhaps the MOCO might make the change.
Joined today for read about the front spark plug wire being worn through rubbing on the gas tank and decided to read more posts.  Will post picture soon.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Boom 6.5 Button Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:00:36 PM »

Can't say that I have ever noticed this issue. I rarely if ever turn the radio off.  it's just easier to lower the volume to zero.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »

Thought I had the same problem until I realized the buttons only stay lit if it is dark out. The buttons are tied to a photocell. The photocell is located on either the face of the tach, or speedo, I don’t remember which. Try covering the gages and see if that makes a difference, you have nothing to lose.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »

Can't say that I have ever turned the radio off. I just turned the volume all the way down or hit mute.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Did notice this first at night.  Does make sense that the light is connected to the light sensor in the tachometer.  When the area rep was doing troubleshooting he placed a rag over this to simulate night conditions.  When the problem was found to be a software issue was informed that it would be a relatively easy change to the software and would be rolled into another change.  Did I mention that this was verified and duplicated by personnel at the MOCO also?  The bikes that were checked at the dealership, new and used, were various years and models with the same radio and all had the same problem.  Know that most people just turn the bike off without turning the radio off or turn the volume down.  Have tried this but there are times that just do not want to look at the "clutter" on the screen and prefer to just have the clock be shown.  Seems that for the price paid for the CVO this is not too much to ask to be corrected.

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »

If there will not be a software change guess will have to either keep the radio on or make sure that it is turned on before turning the bike off, especially at night.  Do realize that am in the vast minority about this also.  :-\

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

Came up with work around for this issue which is strictly manual.  Whenever take the bike in for service have been making sure that an item is on the repair order about this but "tilting at windmills" at this point.   :(

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.