Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the Accessory plug connected to CanBus  (Read 2281 times)

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
Is the Accessory plug connected to CanBus
« on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »

Three questions please. The accessory/auxiliary plug under the seat of my 2016 Street Glide has three wires/pins. Is this plug connected to the CanBus system? If I was to attach a non CanBus accessory (garmin gps) would this cause an issue?  Do you know what the three wires are; there’s a black (ground I presume), Red with blue stripe and a Purple with blue stripe. Wondering if one wire is switched love and the other permanent live. (My voltage tester is bust) Thanks.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

Re: Is the Accessory plug connected to CanBus
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »

The inside of the plug.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

You are correct, there is one wire for an always hot connection, one for a switched connection (ignition), and of course one for ground.  Harley recommends using their electrical connection harness to add things like your
GPS, follow this link to the US website listing for the harness.  Click on the guides tab and you'll find a link to the actual installation instructions which will answer your questions.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touring-electrical-connection-update-kit

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »

I've connected Garmin GPS devices to three late model Harleys with the canbus electrical system - my '17 CVO Limited, my '18 Tri-Glide and a friends '17 RG Ultra.  On all these bikes I was able to tap into an unused switched connector.  Remove the outer fairing and look near the top on the side where the 12v power outlet (what used to be the cigarette lighter) is.  I used Posi Taps to connect the GPS harness wires and have had no problem whatsoever.  Or you could purchase the corresponding plug that mates to the unused socket and pins to put on the GPS harness wires to make the connection if you don't want to tap into the bike's wiring.  I never would tap into factory wiring until I found the Posi Taps as they are minimally invasive and don't damage the factory wires.  Just another idea.  Good luck.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »

Thanks for your knowledge Jerry and Ultrafxr.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »

MY opinion, BUY the connector plug(s) you need. They are easy to get and easier to use. NEVER use a posi-lok or 3M connector to "splice" into a sealed wiring harness of any vehicle that is exposed to the atmosphere. And I don't mean being rained on, I mean just thru the atmosphere entering the harness thru a cut from a aftermarket connector. These WILL cause problems in the future once the corrosion starts. Don't believe me, try restoring a harness from a '70's car that had a aftermarket radio "spliced" in 40 years ago. That harness is junk.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 07:07:52 PM »

Thanks CVODON.
I have gone through my storage boxes and have found a splitter plug that will fit into the accessory plug under the seat. So I can make the connection and still have another plug for future use. I will have this all sorted by end of day.

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.