Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: radio reception  (Read 1092 times)

how2

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
radio reception
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »

I have a 2015 CVO and for some reason, i do not get radio reception on the radio when the bike is on but get it in acc mode.even when I just turn the bike on and do not start it i still get no reception only when I put in acc mode it works.PLEASE HELP

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: radio reception
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:42:07 AM »

I have to ask:  Is there power to the radio when the ignition switch is in the on position?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »

Are you using a hidden antenna in the fairing?      That might be your issue.     Stuart.

luca65

• CVO1: '16 FLHXSE
    • My longer trips with the Harley
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:58:35 AM »

There can be lots of reasons. Fuel injection, alternator, lightning, ...
I guess a loose ground connection of the Boom Box.
Luca
One life, live it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »

Are you using a hidden antenna in the fairing?      That might be your issue.     Stuart.

I'm pretty sure the stock antenna on his bike is a hidden antenna.  Another "styling over performance" decision by the MoCo. 

How2, what happens if you use a different audio source such as your phone or iPod or whatever?  In other words, is this strictly a radio issue or does it affect all audio?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »

I have a 2015 CVO SG and the radio reception is pretty much crap due to the hidden antenna in the fairing.  I speak for both the FM/AM radio and the Sirius XM Radio antennas.   Another case of function follows form.  I did get the larger updated Sat Radio antenna and installed it.  Reception for that improved marginally.  If on an unobstructed open road, the Sirius XM is acceptable though.  I don't even waste my time on the FM/AM radio as I have my USB that hold thousands of my songs.  I also have Pandora I use directly from my phone which seems to never be an issue since the antenna is on the phone which is mounted on the fairing.  Lots of other choices I guess.

MoCo decided that Function Follows Form. 
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »

Hey Jerry, looking at some of how2's previous posts, it looks like he has the 2015 SESG and that bike did have a hidden antenna.

A comment on the hidden antenna...they MoCo might as well not put out the effort on that.  I know some have acceptable reception with theirs from the comments but most, including myself, have no use for them.  My '15 SESG had the stock antenna and I thought I'd try the hidden mainly because they had one at the dealer for a huge discount so what the heck.  I'm just glad I didn't pay retail or I woulda been very unhappy.  I live out in the country and away from the main radio towers so some of the stations on the edge of reception with the normal antenna were non existent with the hidden and some of my stronger stations were full of static with the hidden.
Yes, I tweaked it a few times trying to get the best out of the hidden...no luck.  Left it in place and re-attached the regular antenna and never looked back.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:35:42 AM by Haird »

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.