Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Toy hauler or class c  (Read 7350 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Toy hauler or class c
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »

So Kathy and I went to the Milwaukee rv show this past weekend as we have done for the last few years. We have been talking about getting a toy hauler for a few years now and it always amps up after we go to the show. The ones that we really like are to heavy for our half ton truck and the ones that would work are to small for two street glides. Leaving her bike behind isn't an option so nothing about that. This year I talked her into looking at a few class c motor homes. We have a 7x14 enclosed trailer that we put the bikes in for long trips and I think a class c with a hitch to pull our current trailer would work but we can't decide which way to go. For you guys with toy haulers what do you have and what do you pull it with? We have a 2012 Silverado 1500 and looking for a toy hauler that is light enough to be pulled by that but big enough for two street glides.

Thanks
Kevin

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Toy hauler or class c
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »

Hey Kevin welcome to the ever changing toyhauler questions. that 1500 will not work. Work and play makes a toy trailer but not much for comfort. Even if you bought a dualy 3500 oil burner you are still going to be hard pressed to find a garage long enough and wide enough to stagger 2 baggers with fairings. There may be a few but loading them might take some work, like removing bags and suck. And its going to be a big heavy unit. Say 40' and 15,000lbs+. The cool thing about pulling a toyhauler is when you park it you still have a truck to drive if you don't wish to ride the bikes. Then there are the motorized deals. The sprinter diesels (B's and C's) are nice but not much room and expensive but you could use them as a driver every now and then for trips. Then Super C's and A's gas and diesels. I can make an argument for most, advise? Take your time and figure your budget.

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »

Grand Design makes a whole line of Momentum toyhaulers that'll haul two Street Glides or two Ultra Classics and they are built for comfort (I have a Momentum that we live in full time) and will spoil you, fast.  But they all take a 1 ton dually.  Many people with Momentum's hauling two baggers.   There are only a few toyhaulers that you do not void the warranty if you live in it full time.  Momentum's honor their warranty even if you live in it full time and they put it in writing.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »

Lance 2612 Toyhauler https://www.lancecamper.com/toy-haulers/2612/

I had a couple thinks I wanted accomplish with this purchase:

1) Front bunk with private entry to the bathroom
2) not too large that I couldn't haul it up some of the mountain roads I like and camp/hunt
3) fit in my driveway so I wouldn't have to pay for additional storage of site
4) My Wife liked it (probably should be number one)
5) I kinda like to to have the whole trailer to my self when hunting because I sleep much better and can do my own thing. My days of living with another stinky hunter or hunters is over they can get their own rigs.   Now, I do plan on hauling a couple of new grand kids around.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

I always wanted a Lance slide in camper but my better half didn't like them.  Well built, the only slide in designed to be used stand alone (strong floor) so I'm betting their pull behinds are just as well built, too.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »

I went through a similar situation and was set on finding something 1500-towable.  Didn't take long before I upgraded to a 2500 and ever so glad I did. 

I would recommend checking out the Stryker toy haulers.  They seem to have the best value, most well thought out floorplans I have seen.  They have a few that are 1/2 ton models with open floor plan to make hauling easier.  Not a fan of the separate garage models as that really chops up/limits living quarters when camping.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »

Haird: I always wanted a Lance slide in camper but my better half didn't like them.  Well built, the only slide in designed to be used stand alone (strong floor) so I'm betting their pull behinds are just as well built, too.

Yes for an RV they're put together pretty well and because of that they run a bit more money.  When I was looking for a new rig the pricing and size were all over the board but as mentioned this one fit my needs.

When I bought it in'16 I had a 2006 Ram 4x4 Deisel 2500 which towed it just fine but I decided to replace that (my son needed a truck for work) I bought a 3500 4x4 Ram with Aiisin transmission I wanted that tranny and the 3500's are the only ones they put them in.

I did get a bit of sticker shock when I started shopping since it'd been 11 years since my last vehicle purchase!

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »

The lancer looks nice but the weight of the trailer and our bikes would probably be a hard workout for our 1/2 ton. We found one we liked but when we put the bikes in my fairing was less then a 1/4in from the counter top, to close for comfort. This is the one we put the bikes in
https://www.countrycampers.com/rv/2017-forest-river-cherokee-grey-wolf-26rr-1760629

Not from this dealer but a different one. We still like it but can't figure out how to get more space between the counter top and my bike's fairing.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »

Kevin the Desert Hauler is a smaller toy hauler made by Northwood up in Oregon (the same people that make Arctic Fox....a great reputation in the industry).  You'll need to see if they're towable with a half ton.  The two Street Glides are 3/4 of a ton, by theirself without the trailer, equipment, fuel, water, clothes, food, etc. :nixweiss:

http://northwoodmfg.com/toy-haulers/desert-fox/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:36:45 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »

Those look nice too. Looks like our problem is going to be the truck. Guess it will continue to be a dream seeing as the finances don't allow for the purchase of a new trailer and a new 2500. Oh well, doesn't hurt to dream or make plans for the future.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »

That desert looks like a very nice unit..
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »

Kevin there are some used diesels out there that are very low mileage, have been maintained and have all the service records.  I sold a 2012 F-250 last year (I moved up to a dually) that had never pulled anything more than a motorcycle trailer.  I sold it to low (because my phone blew up with calls from Auto Trader) so somebody got a great deal.  The difference between mine and other 2012s at the same asking price was that mine was fully maintained with all the records and I had it washed every week and waxed every three months so it still looked new.  I'm just saying they're out there if you just stay patient and keep looking and have your money or financing all lined up.....because those really good deals don't last.   :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »

Start looking for a good used 2500 first. May take a year or so.  But there is a difference between hauling a trailer down a straight level road and pulling one up a three mile hill, or a  30 mph crosswind,  or interstate traffic where you need a little git up and go sometimes.  Seems like that is your limiting factor right now.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »

Agreed INDENIAL (like that name)....  once you go to Diesel it would be hard to back to go back.  The pull power of the '17 Ram vs the '06 Ram with the Lance behind it was very impressive.  Both did the job but that extra torque on the new rig begin giving me a woodie.....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »

And......if you're going to look at "used", I'd sure not limit myself to a 3/4 ton.  It's very possible that you can find a 1 ton that's only a year older for the same money or maybe it has another 10k-15k miles on it (which is nothing for a diesel).  I would just start looking at all options for diesel.

Getting a 1 ton now would allow you to move up in trailer size, when you're ready to, without having to move up in truck like you're having to do now.  And, it's not a matter of "if" you move up......it's a matter of "when".  I've read that over and over on many RV and toy hauler forums and thought "not me.....I'm happy with this one" and a year later I was moving up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:55:41 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »

Ditto That JCZ.....

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »

I have been looking. The price is sticker shock. Our truck will be paid off in a few months which will only leave us with my bike payment. It is nice knowing it will be ours free and clear and just going back to a truck payment is something we need to talk about. I am always looking at trucks and toy haulers just for that dealer that is to good to be true, I know they are out there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »

Kevin, when buying used, unless you're looking for "certified used" (only a year or two old) then I would look at buying from private party and just look at/for those trucks that's been well maintained (they kept records).  For instance, Ford came out with the 6.7 diesel in 2011.  A good motor and tranny that's still being used in the 2018 models.

Dodge has a motor that's proven however, their transmissions have a history of issues.

The GM product (Chevy/GMC) do not have the load ratings that the Ford and Dodge have.....or at least I've read that on the RV forums.   :nixweiss:

Not sure where you're located but if you're close to a large metropolitan area, go on line to Auto Trader and/or Truck Trader.  Sooner or later you'll find what you're looking for.  Then you can get a better suited toy hauler. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:13:44 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »

I check auot trader once a week, never knew about truck trader till now. I'll check that out too, thanks  :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »

I check auot trader once a week, never knew about truck trader till now. I'll check that out too, thanks  :)

Might check Craigslist also.

See you in Aug in Sturgis!   :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »

Kind of repeating what has been said above. We researched this back in 2015. We decided we must have a toy hauler so that we can still have our truck to drive on bad weather days. (we have friends with motorhomes that are switching back to this setup just for that reason).  At the time I had a 1/2 ton truck and tried to find a camper that would work. We quickly discovered the features we wanted in a toy hauler / weight, Was not gonna work with a 1/2 ton. We bought a brand new F250 which freed us up to buy the toy hauler we really wanted. We got an Amped 30'. fits 2 baggers, and has all the amenities that my wife required. We even got a party patio and ceiling fan! Being only 30' it still fits in our back yard. Good luck on your search.

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »

This is our set up.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »

I agree with your comment about switching back to a toy hauler so you can have the truck to drive.  And my last 5th wheel was small and I could get in any where with it.  Now we have the big bertha....42' with 5 slide outs and the garage for the bike which makes it really comfortable when it's set up.  However, there are times that I'm not able to get in or even if I can get into a large RV park, the spaces are so close together that it makes it a real challenge trying to get this beast backed in to a hole that makes it feel like I'm trying to thread a needle. 

My point.....pros and cons regarding a Class C vs. a toy hauler but also pros and cons vs. the size of either.  I mean a Super C on with a stacker trailer could be a consideration.... 

https://www.renegaderv.com/renegade-ikon-freightliner-motorhome

But, for us, living full time on the road I think we'll stay with our 5th wheel toy hauler.....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111630.0

Either way, you only want to do it once so put plenty of thought into it and ask a lot of questions from actual owners...."what do you like about this model?"   and "if you had it to do over again, what would you like to have included or that you don't use in the model that you have?".

West Coast GTG   

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:44 PM »

We found a couple class c's yesterday at a open house at one of the local rv dealers. We like them and talked about it the rest of the day, weighing the pros and cons of having one. We talked about the toy hauler and truck for days of bad weather. Another thing that kind of concerned me was not being able to see our 7x14 trailer in the mirrors of the class c(since the class c was 8 1/2' wide). Think we might end up going the toy haule route but probably a few years down the road since trucks are soooo expensive. Thanks everyone for the input.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »

probably a few years down the road since trucks are soooo expensive.
Up here in Canada......a loaded duelly diesel Ram is one hundred and f'n five thousand dollars MSRP.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »

MSRP on trucks and more so on RV's is one thing but the actual sale price I've found is they can be bought for 15 to 20% on trucks and 20 to 25% on RV's.  Still even with that they are expensive new!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »

Up here in Canada......a loaded duelly diesel Ram is one hundred and f'n five thousand dollars MSRP.

That is just one reason why we continue to pull our Wells Cargo tandem motorcycle trailer behind our Ram 1500, and rent homes in various places when we are away for an extended period.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »

Hey Griz I realized that as well. By the time I spent the money on the fuel to pull it and the amount for the crazy RV resorts I could stay in a motel!

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

We stayed in hotels for many, many years.  The difference with an RV is that you don't have to pack and unpack every night. 

It is different, RVing and everybody has their preferences.  On the down side.....I subscribe to an RV Industry news feed (that's directed at the industry and not the consumers/customers).  Every quarter for the past 2 1/2 years the sales have increased and a number of those quarters they've actually broke records over the percentage increase.  That same publication had an article that says that due to more and more people full timing (like we are) plus the increased sales even for the casual camper that RV site availability will be harder to find and that prices will increase across the board.  And........the bigger the RV that you have, the smaller that window of availability is going to get for you.  So..........I have concerns.  :o   But for the here and now.....I'm loving this life style!  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »

MSRP on trucks and more so on RV's is one thing but the actual sale price I've found is they can be bought for 15 to 20% on trucks and 20 to 25% on RV's.  Still even with that they are expensive new!

If you can get 20% off a 2018 or 2019 450 Super Duty out there - let me know, it will be worth the flight and drive home  :2vrolijk_21:

As to RV's, 30-35% off is considered good. Higher end models, a bit less. But you can negotiate a DRV just about anywhere in the country for at least 30% off MSRP.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »

We stayed in hotels for many, many years.  The difference with an RV is that you don't have to pack and unpack every night. 

It is different, RVing and everybody has their preferences.  On the down side.....I subscribe to an RV Industry news feed (that's directed at the industry and not the consumers/customers).  Every quarter for the past 2 1/2 years the sales have increased and a number of those quarters they've actually broke records over the percentage increase.  That same publication had an article that says that due to more and more people full timing (like we are) plus the increased sales even for the casual camper that RV site availability will be harder to find and that prices will increase across the board.  And........the bigger the RV that you have, the smaller that window of availability is going to get for you.  So..........I have concerns.  :o   But for the here and now.....I'm loving this life style!  :bananarock:

The RV capital of the world is Elkhart, Indiana. We attended a few industry functions last June in the Elkhart area. Unemployment is currently around 4%, and the people that are unemployed choose to be so. 

As of June 2017 the RV industry in the Elkhart area was short 20,000 workers!

The business is booming and it is showing in some quality issues for the past few years.

MV 2013

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »

Pricing on RV's is all over the board, Lance was one of the few remaining privately owned companies until recently they were just purchased by REV Group which owns several companies including Fire Trucks, ambulances, motorhomes etc.  https://www.revgroup.com/#1  Remains to be seen if the quality and offerings will remain.
Regarding purchasing my truck I waited until the model years where getting close to changing back in July, and drove 250 miles after negotiations via the phone to Spokane.  MSRP was $66680.00 purchased it for $53800.00 I tried the same deal locally and could only get within $2500.00 of it.
On the Lance MSRP was around $64,000 drove 1100 miles to Sacramento valley in one day and purchased $45,000 closed I could come locally (WA) was $54,500.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »

My wife and I recently purchased a Leisure Travel Vans (LTV) Unity MB and will be picking it up the first week of April, 2018.

Initially (and I still do) wanted a Super C Dynamax DX3 or a Renegade Verona.  I liked the size and the fact they are on a Freightliner chassis.  The downside is the size of the coach when finding a place to park.

In the end, we went with the LTV and plan on dragging our motorcycle trailer.  This way, we can still use the LTV to get a round and drop the trailer when needed.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »

I looked at the Charles but man they are pricey. MB is proud of there stuff and I have an enclosed trailer (14") and wasn't sure it would pull it very well.

BigLew

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »

I looked at the Charles but man they are pricey. MB is proud of there stuff and I have an enclosed trailer (14") and wasn't sure it would pull it very well.

BigLew

BigLew, I agree on trying to tow a large trailer with the LTV.  My trailer and bike together are less then 2,000lbs.  The Freightliners tow like a tractor trailer, starting at 12,000lbs on up depending on the manufacture and engine/transmission combination.

When I was looking at the Super C's they had an average markdown of 20%-25%.  Still high.  Catch them at the end of their sales model year and they were willing to wheel and deal.

With the LTV's, there was no such markdown.  I will bring some axle grease when I pick it up as I am sure I will need it.

Like I mentioned before, I like the Freightliner chassis as it is a tractor trailer setup.  The LTV is on the Mercedes Diesel Sprinter class chassis; I am sure it is orders of magnitudes harder to work on and more expensive.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

Just wondering... How many of you are running CDL's with your rigs? From time to time we will see a 1ton with 5th wheel or some sort of RV combo like that pulled over and I was wondering what is said about the DL and if CDL's are being enforced? I know the gross combo would be over 28,000 lbs
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »

Man...ask about LEO and this conversation came to a stop.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

Man...ask about LEO and this conversation came to a stop.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:        :nervous:

I pull a 42' 5th wheel that's 20k lbs. and in California it required the non-commercial CDL.  However, no special license required in South Dakota where I changed my domain. 

Most RVers.....whether pulling a TT or 5th wheel or in a coach drive 55-65 so they don't usually draw the attention of LEOs.....unless they're going to damn slow and being a traffic hazard.   :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

ultrarider123

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »

A good article on CDL's and operating an RV...but like all articles, it may not be all inclusive...do your own homework...but this will help.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/guide-rv-drivers-licenses-requirements

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:        :nervous:

I pull a 42' 5th wheel that's 20k lbs. and in California it required the non-commercial CDL.  However, no special license required in South Dakota where I changed my domain. 

Most RVers.....whether pulling a TT or 5th wheel or in a coach drive 55-65 so they don't usually draw the attention of LEOs.....unless they're going to damn slow and being a traffic hazard.   :nixweiss:

I know the real reason there are was no replies......everyone is in Daytona and I am jealous...lol.

I was curious how it was working. Been hearing rumors for a while now where the DOT was going to start cracking down and didn't really know for sure how it would effect everyone if they did. You look at the GVW on just my 1 ton and that alone puts you close to the CDL requirements...a small enclosed with 2 3500lbs axles and your over if I understand it right

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »

A good article on CDL's and operating an RV...but like all articles, it may not be all inclusive...do your own homework...but this will help.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/guide-rv-drivers-licenses-requirements

Thank you Haird

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »

I'm not concerned about the CDL aspect, I drive truck for a living so that is covered  8). They that was pulled over could be a delivery driver? I know they guys that pull RV's to dealers are hiried and since they are a business they require a CDL.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »

I'm not concerned about the CDL aspect, I drive truck for a living so that is covered 

Will be nothing more then a money grab when all the states start requiring a non-COMMERCIAL "Commercial Drivers License"

I was curious how it was working. Been hearing rumors for a while now where the DOT was going to start cracking down and didn't really know for sure how it would effect everyone if they did. You look at the GVW on just my 1 ton and that alone puts you close to the CDL requirements...a small enclosed with 2 3500lbs axles and your over if I understand it right

Aren't most states using guidelines of 26,001 pounds for the CDL requirement?

MV 2013

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »

Will be nothing more then a money grab when all the states start requiring a non-COMMERCIAL "Commercial Drivers License"

Aren't most states using guidelines of 26,001 pounds for the CDL requirement?

I know thats where OK is. At 26,001 going by the vehicles GVWR on the doorplate or the GVWR of the vehicle and trailer combination by nameplate you are supposed to have a CDL even if you are just a old boy with a truck and a trailer going to take your broken down Harley to the shop. Doesn't have to be commercial related at all. Or that is how it was explained to me or at least how I understood are a conversation with a local trooper

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

charles05663, just got a chance to take at look at your rig that is nice....

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:59 PM »

Currently we just have an enclosed trailer that we have set up mainly to transport bike, but is use a a weekend sleeping area. We are not ready for a full time live in type trailer, so the Work and Play trailers have really been attractive lately. Decent area for bike, enough living area that you could stay a week at a time, and can be purchased very reasonable priced used

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »

I used to have a Balboa which was very similar to the Work N Play but I think the Work N Plays are nicer they seemed to be finished off better than the Balboa's http://www.miragetrailers.com/balboa-rv-toy-hauler.html.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »

I used to have a Balboa which was very similar to the Work N Play but I think the Work N Plays are nicer they seemed to be finished off better than the Balboa's http://www.miragetrailers.com/balboa-rv-toy-hauler.html.

Looks very much like the Work and Play. That type of trailer appeals to me more than the full time live in trailers for the type of usage we will get out of it, plus I like the fact that it could still be used as a regular cargo trailer if its needed for that

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »

Yellow, check out these. http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/  Kathy and I looked at these but the one she wants will end up being to heavy for our half ton, they are really nice just like the work and play.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »

Yellow, check out these. http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/  Kathy and I looked at these but the one she wants will end up being to heavy for our half ton, they are really nice just like the work and play.

From what I can see there I really like those. Just from the pics and the specs, they look like they could be a better built trailer than the Work and Play. I need to see if there is a dealer for them somewhere in my area for a first hand look. Thank you

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

Ya those do look pretty nice I'd be curious how they are in 15 to 20 degree temps....

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2018, 09:16:45 AM »

I like those, and they seem to be a bit better built than the work and play version. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2018, 10:01:28 PM »

You can order a three season package which insulates the underside so it keeps the water lines from freezing. We would have the 28' with the front bedroom if we had a bigger truck. Kathy and I spent an hour at the dealership talking about it but the weight of it with the bikes I decided was to heavy for our 1/2 ton. It is still the trailer we keep talking about, maybe some day.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »

You can order a three season package which insulates the underside so it keeps the water lines from freezing. We would have the 28' with the front bedroom if we had a bigger truck. Kathy and I spent an hour at the dealership talking about it but the weight of it with the bikes I decided was to heavy for our 1/2 ton. It is still the trailer we keep talking about, maybe some day.

That is the one I really like from the web site.  I plan to find a dealer and go look.  I am thinking it should be ok with my 1/2 ton.  I have the Max tow package, which states 11,700 pound trailer wight. and a 1740 truck payload.  They state and estimated 5440 weight, I figure with generator and a few options 6000 pounds. Plus a road glide special and a CVO road glide would be 7800 pounds.  Add a 1000 pounds of stuff and Ill be right at 9K.  Not sure I could add 1000 pounds of food drink and clothes. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »

Our 1/2 ton is rated for a max of 9600lbs. On their website it states that a 28' with the bedroom loaded will probably max out a 1/2 ton. If you do find one would love to know how it works out for you.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »

Ya its a tuff nut to crack pulling the trigger on brand new trailer and a new truck at the same time.  Some years ago I purchased a diesel pick 4x4 Rams all of em ('93 and 06') and now again in '17 once you get one that first one you won't go back and hence never limited to what you choose to pull behind.  I would look at replacing your truck first then look for a hauler.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »

Our 1/2 ton is rated for a max of 9600lbs. On their website it states that a 28' with the bedroom loaded will probably max out a 1/2 ton. If you do find one would love to know how it works out for you.
Something you might look at if they still exists would be an equilizer hitch if you are that close to weight. I have not used one in years but had one on a old 70 model half ton and it pulled a way to big trailer for many miles with no problems. But keeping the trailer brakes in working order was a must. It could get you through till a new truck was in the picture

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »

I have a wieght distribution hitch with sway control and a brake controller. Pulled a 27' travel trailer about 75 miles to the family's site at a camp ground. The truck did ok considering I didn't know the 35 gallon fresh water tank was full and not having towing mirrors. I will be buying a set of towing mirrors and IF we found a toy hauler probably also buy a set of air bags to help with the weight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 21 queries.