Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Heavy Breather & HD Boom Speakers in Lowers  (Read 1918 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Heavy Breather & HD Boom Speakers in Lowers
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »

After cutting down the filter, it appears you would have no more surface area than the Ventilator filter and possibly less.  Short of doing flow testing or back to back dyno runs, how do know the HB is flowing more air than the Ventilator?  Or is that an assumption on your part?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

I agree in theory with your statement, yes there seems to be the same or even less filter area before I trimmed a little off.  But other factors are at work here. In the ventilator air cleaner air has to make a tight 90 degree turn with part of the cover obstructing flow, in the Heavy Breather it has a longer curved intake runner and due to the taper in the filter air has almost a direct shot through the filter.  Longer intake runners generally make more power.  After installation I noticed considerably more heat coming off the motor on a few short local rides (didn't sump) as well as more intake noise.  Threw a new tune on with a little more fuel, back to normal.  Butt dyno says it feels a little crisper on the throttle.  I did this install to see if I could get it to fit because I'm planning on doing a 124 build soon & all research I've seen points to needing a HB.  Besides it looks bitchn!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:12:07 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »

From what I am seeing on some of the professional builders web sites, with the 124 M8 the heavy breather in stock form you loose 3 hp and 3 torque over no filter.  They are using Non-HD filters.  I am hoping to see a test of the new HD extreme flow filter set up.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 12:51:09 PM »

I also agree with you Dave.  I know this is not probably the best / most HP filter available.  Hell K&N's are basically rock catchers anyway.  I'm factoring in the look I want, also I'm planning a conservative 124 torque build so I'm not gonna sweat a couple hp's in the end.  As I have noted in earlier posts installing this cleaner on my bike with stock ventilator defiantly leaned out the bike (114), so this should move enought air to handle my 124 needs.  We will find out for sure after I have Steve @ Fullsac tune it when I'm done.  I'll bring the ventilor for fun too!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.