Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26777 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »

I went the to the ugly BMW in 2014 and have loved every minute of it.  R1200GSA

This is by far one of the funnest motorcycles I have owned for a long time.  It is extremely reliable.  The suspension is out of this world.  The Garmin gps is simple and straight forward.

The motor is a gem that I had no idea I was going to fall in love with!  This thing has two personalities.  Torque on this boxer is what I love the most but when I raced a buddy of mine on his K1600GTL I discovered a whole other side of this beast that pulls like a freight train all the way to the rev limiter.  Throw in wide open "no clutch" shifts with gear shift assist pro and you just can't help but smile.

This bike gets no love...I took it on a 10 day trip to the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Red Lodge and back to my place in the burbs of Chicago.  I did not wash one bug off until I got home.
Very unlike my HD days.
Funny thing is the dirtier it got the more people it attracted.  This thing is ugly and yet it draws a crowd unlike any HD I have owned? 

So what I might add to those considering a switch.

BMW seats suck.  But thats it.  Pretty much love the rest of it. 

Not saying if HD built a reliable performer that was not subpar in suspension and performance and reliability that I would not add another HD to the stable.  I like HD's.

I was giving the M8 2 years to work out the problems and after reading all the sumping issues I will be waiting on whatever comes next. 
While I wait to see if HD steps up I will continue to smile on this ugly fun bike.

I have ridden the k1600 and it is a beast.  It is a performer in every way.   

If you find it to be without soul try one of the boxer motor Beemers. 
Torque and horsepower, a drone at certain rpm's that reminds of a twin engine prop plane with the props slightly out sync.
You might just find out HD is not the only motor with heritage and soul. 
And I promise you at 1200cc you will not be disappointed.

4 Harley's later I have discovered (or remembered) my favorite roads are the unpaved ones.  Going on trips I have done before but this time turning down every dirt road and discovering I missed the best parts by staying on the pavement.

I am really sorry to those that have M8's that are having on going problems and I hope that HD gets it figured out for you. 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

Nice post :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »

This is by far one of the funnest motorcycles I have owned for a long time.  It is extremely reliable.  The suspension is out of this world.  The Garmin gps is simple and straight forward.

The motor is a gem that I had no idea I was going to fall in love with!  This thing has two personalities.  Torque on this boxer is what I love the most but when I raced a buddy of mine on his K1600GTL I discovered a whole other side of this beast that pulls like a freight train all the way to the rev limiter. Throw in wide open "no clutch" shifts with gear shift assist pro and you just can't help but smile.

This bike gets no love...I took it on a 10 day trip to the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Red Lodge and back to my place in the burbs of Chicago.  I did not wash one bug off until I got home.
Very unlike my HD days.
Funny thing is the dirtier it got the more people it attracted.  This thing is ugly and yet it draws a crowd unlike any HD I have owned? 

Not saying if HD built a reliable performer that was not subpar in suspension and performance and reliability that I would not add another HD to the stable.  I like HD's.

I was giving the M8 2 years to work out the problems and after reading all the sumping issues I will be waiting on whatever comes next. 
While I wait to see if HD steps up I will continue to smile on this ugly fun bike.

Torque and horsepower, a drone at certain rpm's that reminds of a twin engine prop plane with the props slightly out sync.

4 Harley's later I have discovered (or remembered) my favorite roads are the unpaved ones.  Going on trips I have done before but this time turning down every dirt road and discovering I missed the best parts by staying on the pavement.

I am really sorry to those that have M8's that are having on going problems and I hope that HD gets it figured out for you.

Bold type comments are BMW interesting reading after my test rides in the past week on the BMW Grand America and the BMW K1600 B and I just finished posting these.....   https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=115698.msg1465763#msg1465763
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »

If the good Lord had seen fit to give me longer legs, I would'a had one of these (this color, too) back in 1999.  I test rode one for half a day all over East TN (FLSTFI Dave, remember when McNutt's was over on Lovell Rd. and the only BMW dealer in East TN?) and loved the ride/power/seating position but I was tip-toes when stopped and that killed it for me.

I had one of the final K1200LTs in black - sold it to get my first Streetglide.  The K12LT was heavy but still quite nimble. They are a bit awkward for maintenance though, that's an area where the K16 is easier and you have fewer access issues. That K1200 motor would have been vibey at speed (all of the flying bricks were) but they'd used rubber mounts to hang it under that massive chassis so it ended up being super smooth to ride.   

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »

The motor is a gem that I had no idea I was going to fall in love with!  This thing has two personalities.  Torque on this boxer is what I love the most but when I raced a buddy of mine on his K1600GTL I discovered a whole other side of this beast that pulls like a freight train all the way to the rev limiter.  Throw in wide open "no clutch" shifts with gear shift assist pro and you just can't help but smile.

Very unlike my HD days.

Too much fun for sure! That is right up my alley!

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »

Too much fun for sure! That is right up my alley!

Steve@fullsac.com

You, sir, are a connoisseur of fine German Motorrad.

mark

« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »

I'm seriously looking at the K1600B, but want a rider's backrest and a removable trunk.  BMW offers the K1600B with either a trunk or not.  I found a seat/backrest and a luggage rack/mount that appears it could be used to mount a trunk.  Available soon.  Link below for those interested:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Seats-BMW-Bagger-InDev/

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »

I'm seriously looking at the K1600B, but want a rider's backrest and a removable trunk.  BMW offers the K1600B with either a trunk or not.  I found a seat/backrest and a luggage rack/mount that appears it could be used to mount a trunk.  Available soon.  Link below for those interested:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Seats-BMW-Bagger-InDev/

What you need it a K1600GT/GTL with a Top Case and a custom seat.

Removable Top Case
Removable Panniers (Saddlebags)
Custom seat by Russell Day Long using their backrest
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:54:13 PM by DesertHOG »

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »

This is how it started out life with Simon.

mark

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »

Can you add the forward floorboards to the K1600 GT?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »

Removable Top Case
Removable Panniers (Saddlebags)
Custom seat by Russell Day Long using their backrest

Simon that bike looks like it has a cloth seat?  Is that the solumbra material that RDL is not offering?  And isn't your current seat leather or is it pleather?   Which seat materials have you had experience with and which do you prefer for long haul, all day long in the saddle kind of rides?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2018, 12:50:29 AM »

Can you add the forward floorboards to the K1600 GT?

You can add an engine guard and pegs to the guard.

Ilium Works also makes a floorboard looking replacement for the driver pegs.
Link to Ilium Works: http://www.iliumworks.com/K_1600_GT.cfm

I would be interesting to see if you could adapt a K1600GT to accept the floorboards from the K1600B.

Picture of the K1600B Floorboards appear to be mounted directly to the motor.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:19:31 AM by DesertHOG »

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2018, 01:02:14 AM »

Simon that bike looks like it has a cloth seat?  Is that the solumbra material that RDL is not offering?  And isn't your current seat leather or is it pleather?   Which seat materials have you had experience with and which do you prefer for long haul, all day long in the saddle kind of rides?

Indeed the BMW got the sunbrella inserts. I've had it for about 2yrs. I never noticed any heat issues. I think the sunbrella runs cooler than the vinyl. The sunbrella is used for outdoor patio furniture, umbrellas, and awnings. It's built to withstand the sun and the color holds up against fading. In theory if you leave it in the rain over extended periods you could get water into the foam but again it's never been an issue for me. And I am not a guy who runs for a bike cover every time there is a sprinkle.

On the Harley, I went with the vinyl insert because I wanted a carbon fiber pattern for the insert. That's only available in the vinyl. I may be a bit hotter than sunbrella but I only have 1250 miles on the new seat so I don't have much history about endurance and performance over different temps. I will tell you that I had RDL put in their heated seat solution and it runs on the "toasty" side. If the donor seat has a heater solution they can retain that solution.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:04:14 AM by DesertHOG »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2018, 09:01:29 AM »

Yes, I'm familiar with the vinyl cover for the seat. The Corbin seat that I sit on last week here in Sturgis last weekend was that carbon fiber looking vinyl

Does RDL offer the leather inserts on top?

So question (and I'm assuming but you haven't said)....I believe you've also had a Corbin?  And you choose RDL over Corbin for all day comfort?

West Coast GTG   

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »

Yes, I'm familiar with the vinyl cover for the seat. The Corbin seat that I sit on last week here in Sturgis last weekend was that carbon fiber looking vinyl

Does RDL offer the leather inserts on top?

So question (and I'm assuming but you haven't said)....I believe you've also had a Corbin?  And you choose RDL over Corbin for all day comfort?

That Corbin looks good and solves the back rest issue. I can already feel the money leaving my hand.

Steve@fullsac.com

PS- my 1600B pulled 128HP on the dyno last night!
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.