Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Bud oil cooler  (Read 2768 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Oil Bud oil cooler
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »

I have a 2013 CVO Road King with a higher compression 117". I am a high mileage rider, and looking to add some cooling defense. I have no plans on selling the bike, so don't mind investing in a better oil cooler. I also have Mighty Mite fans already for the slowed/stopped conditions I inevitably run into on occasion with construction/rush hour traffic.

Based on reviews, the Oil Bud is on top of the list so far. Any reviews/feedback from other CVO owners specifically would be appreciated. Those that had a stock oil cooler on their bike, I'm assuming you just removed that whole unit, then it looks like the oil bud is installed underneath the bike? Looks to have a very big cooling surface.

Thank you!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: Oil Bud oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:24:25 PM »

On my breakout making my usual weekend treck my oil temp would hit 256. After the oilbud install my oil temp dropped to 226. This is also riding 2 up. The curveball to this is when I installed the Screamin Eagle high-volume oil pump my oil temp again dropped to 216. Go figure.
All temps were measured with the same HD digital dipstick so there was no variable there.
The oil bud has an immense amount of surface area and doesn't rely on electric fans that cause electrical demand on your charging system. That's a big plus in my book
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:38:37 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 04:15:45 AM »

If you're looking for better cooling at a stop light, you'll be way better off with cooling fans on the stock oil cooler than with any (non-fan) oil cooler.  It's the flow of air through the oil cooler that carries away the heat...so, no movement, no cooling, unless you have fans.  And a set of fans like these http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id10.html cost way less than any oil cooler.

If you want to spend money without benefit, another oil cooler will do it.  If you want results, get fans.   :D

The electrical demand by a set of small fans is so low that it won't be noticed...if it's that hot, you won't be using heated gear or any other high-draw equipment.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »

I appreciate the feedback from both of you. I didn't realize a better oil pump could potentially have an effect on oil temp. I have the S&S oil pump in my bike now.

After some feedback on the unit from a few others sites, I did purchase the oil bud last night. I wish I would have seen the post about those Big Sky fans are I would have at least done some more research first. It does makes perfect sense to have that airflow, just like it matters for the motor. I'm sure the oil bud will serve it's function, but it was definitely more than 60 bucks.

Between the head fans, Baker +1.5qt oil pan, a good tune, and the oil bud, I think the bike will stay in check. I ride about 20,000 miles a year and as mentioned, the bike will never have another owner so no problem here investing. Overkill? possibly. I've had some not so tactful feedback other places about adding all of this and I'm sure it's silly to people here, too. But we all have our means for peace of mind and I'm happy the beast will be cool under the not-so-friendly conditions.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »

The oil bud is a great product. I have a 124 with a procharger and it will get very warm if its hot out and using a lot of boost. When the valve opens its not unusual to see 26 degree drop in temp

BigLew

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »

Just fitted Love jugs Mighty mite fans to my 07 CVO 110 R.K., have heard how good the full size Love jugs were and seen the video`s, but for me they were too big so I choose the mighty mites and was totally amazed with there performance on my bike.

Riding in mid 70`s F in stop and go traffic, the cylinder head temps would normally get to near 280-290 degrees , turn the fans on and within 10 minutes the temps would be aroung the 260-270 and if left on they eventually got down to under 250!

They work so well on my bike I cannot have them on from startup otherwise the bike would take forever to warm up properly!

But if its an Oil cooler you want , then the Oilbud has great reviews, did look into getting one myself a couple of years ago but to get it to the U.K. the price plus shipping and import duties and taxes would have made it very very exspensive.
WHUFC   COYI

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »

Thanks for the info. I haven't done any kind of testing with my mighty mite fans, but great hearing they are working out for you. I also didn't like the bigger fans. I painted my mighty mites granite so they blend in with the motor even more.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »

FWIW

I have built 3 systems for twin cams using transmission coolers from gm tahoes and suburbans from the junkyard!   $25 for each cooler and $10 in hose.

I mount them inside the crash guard with hand made mounts or plumbers tape.

Insdide a 100* shop  idiling an hour they are good for 25* cooling on a 103 or 96

Add a big sky fan to the main factory cooler and you have 50* cooling over an hour of idling

100* garage temp, idling an hour, 103 twincam with 255's and big sky fans on both tranny/engine oil coolers as well as the main oil cooler I was seeing 75* lower temp eratures! 225* 1 hour idle temps were not unusual.

3 different bikes I did this on and all 3 worked awesome...

That being said I will be installing a oil bud and replacing the main oil cooler on my cvo with a reefer...

last cvo i did that on idle temps in 100* shop were right at 200*-225* for 1 hour

MOST IMPORTANTLY A reefer in conjunction with an oil bud was RARELY if ever breaking 240* during August traffic in ATL!!!

2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 10:02:55 AM »

Have any pics of this mod?
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune
Ephesians 2:8

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »

I own the same bike
I appreciate your concern for longevity but in my opinion lowering the oil temperature is best accomplished with the head fans and a proper tune, plus a build without too much static compression.
It is normal for the oil to be 250°F Running synthetic the oil will show very little degradation in the normal oil change interval of 5K. This assumes good motor health, leakdown. Send the oil in for analysis if you doubt what I am saying.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.