Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CVO Boom Audio Stage 1 needs to be Upgraded - HELP!  (Read 5099 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
CVO Boom Audio Stage 1 needs to be Upgraded - HELP!
« on: May 07, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »

Looking for suggestions
I absolutely must look at upgrading the CVO 6.5 Boom Stage 1 in my 18 CVO Limited. IMHO this system can be best and most gently described and weak!
Boom Audio Stage 2
If I went this way, I’d like to add speakers to the lowers – apparently Harley can accommodate this now, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what all is required to upgrade my 4 speaker stage 1 to a 6 speaker stage 2 – you’d think they have a kit available but its all separate items.
This won’t be cheap I know, but has anyone done it? Will I be happy considering I hate the stage 1?
Aftermarket
I’m open to suggestions. For the money I’d spend on the Harley setup, I’m sure I could get more blast for my buck in the aftermarket. What are my best options out there. Everywhere I look they talk about their system not for CVO? Wazzup wid dat? (lower speakers and liquid cool maybe? Wiring or amp issue?)

Help!!
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: CVO Boom Audio Stage 1 needs to be Upgraded - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »

Boom 2 the way you want will require a total of 3 amps, 6 boom 2 speakers, and the wiring harnesses. Then the ecm has to be flashed.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »

Have a look at Rokker they do CVO compatible systems. They load the amps in the fairing and save bag space & do a great job IMHO. If you catch them at a rally/show they are generally good for 20% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »

My last 2 bikes have been done by soundz customz.   They do a great install and have the best of what is out there.   Pete is at most rallies.      Stuart.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:14:11 AM »

Boom 2 the way you want will require a total of 3 amps, 6 boom 2 speakers, and the wiring harnesses. Then the ecm has to be flashed.

If the bike has been flashed with a Fullsac ECM calibration map, can they still flash for the radio upgrade or will it have to have the original map reinstalled and then re-flash with the Fullsac Calibration afterward?
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »

The Harley's way is 1 amp per two speakers kind of an inefficient way as most systems can use 1 amp.  I'm In the middle of installing speakers in my lowers on my 17' CVOSG.  About $1500, need to find 20% off dealers will help. Just for lowers you need harness / install kit, spk install kit, speakers, amp & small power splitter.  Plus flash... doesn't interfere with motor flash, from what I understand.  I wanted to keep bike stock & uncut but with where you are I would consider aftermarket, gonna be cheaper and sound better in the end.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »

Hey Nik, something I did for the stage one on the '15 was change out the front speakers to these:

Hogtunes 362F-RM Front Speakers for 2014 and newer Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic, Street Glide & Trike models - 362F-RM

They fit as replacements and didn't need a dealer flash.  I was working toward a fuller sound.  These also work as rear speakers for the tourpac pods but I was OK with those.  The stock stage 1 speakers were as you described, too tinny.  With this simple change, I was happy.  Yes, it could use some more power and probably an upgraded amp set-up but I was looking at improved sound not symphonic sound and as inexpensive as possible.  These set me back $159 with free shipping through Amazon Prime.  I also upgraded the speaker covers with the chromed edge Hogtunes grills.

Just something to consider before all the outlay of funds.... ;)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »

If the bike has been flashed with a Fullsac ECM calibration map, can they still flash for the radio upgrade or will it have to have the original map reinstalled and then re-flash with the Fullsac Calibration afterward?
The "flash" is just for the radio.  The ECM is separate.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »

Can one of you audio wiring gurus help me understand.
This is the wiring from the JMAudio CVO Ultra Rokker Stage 4 system.

What is the issue with the CVO wiring that is different from the non CVO. My understanding is that once the factory Boom Stage 1 Amp is removed the signal to the rear speakers is an issue in the CVO. What is it JM does in their wiring that gets the rear speakers to work with fader and rear pod controls.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:41:42 PM by hdnik »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 03:17:45 AM »

I did a Biketronics system upgrade on my 15 street glide.

Bill has a plug and play system for CVO’s. I installed  New amp, speakers and sound conditioner which makes the system sound like how the Harley Boom should. 

My system was $1200 and I did the install. Was not difficult if you are familiar with stereos.
Was able to sell the takeoff speaker and amps on  ebay for $800.  Awesome upgrade for $400.

Hope this helps and good luck!
jim

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 10:59:10 PM »

Well I think we may be on to something. New and improved high end HogTunes system http://www.hogtunes.com/wildboar/products/kits/ukit.php called Wild Boar. 600 Watts 4 speakers. Heard it today at HogTunes headquarters in Barrie Ontario, about 2 hours away from me. Was able to compare it side by side with my boom stage 1. There was no comparison. Lots of bass, crisp highs crystal clear and no distortion with copious gobs of volume and that’s with tone and fader set at exact mid level.

If it compares as different riding as it did when parked, I think I found a winner to my taste

Problem is like most others, this system is not designed to work in a CVO... or at least not yet. My bike is currently in the hands of the tech team at HogTunes. We’ve struck a deal where I buy system at parts cost, they do the installation and design the harnesses needed so they can test and market the system to CVO owners. Mine is acting as the R&D mule. They needed to get their hands on a CVO and I needed an upgrade... a match made in heaven!

Stay tuned, will update on their success!
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 12:45:44 PM »

Well I think we may be on to something. New and improved high end HogTunes system http://www.hogtunes.com/wildboar/products/kits/ukit.php called Wild Boar. 600 Watts 4 speakers. Heard it today at HogTunes headquarters in Barrie Ontario, about 2 hours away from me. Was able to compare it side by side with my boom stage 1. There was no comparison. Lots of bass, crisp highs crystal clear and no distortion with copious gobs of volume and that’s with tone and fader set at exact mid level.

If it compares as different riding as it did when parked, I think I found a winner to my taste

Problem is like most others, this system is not designed to work in a CVO... or at least not yet. My bike is currently in the hands of the tech team at HogTunes. We’ve struck a deal where I buy system at parts cost, they do the installation and design the harnesses needed so they can test and market the system to CVO owners. Mine is acting as the R&D mule. They needed to get their hands on a CVO and I needed an upgrade... a match made in heaven!

Stay tuned, will update on their success!
Sounds like a fair deal as long as they don't need your bike for more than a few weeks at the most. One thing to keep in mind when comparing the Boom1 to their system is they are pushing twice the wattage than your stock system. Need to compare apples to apples.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »

Just got this note from the tech guys at HogTunes:

"Hi Nick,
Things are going well.  I had hit a block trying to find a connector to plug into the amp wiring, it seems it simply does not exist.  I have come up with a couple of other options however.  The factory amp has been eliminated, radio has been flashed and so far I have been able to make this a plug and play set-up which is exactly what my intention was.  Currently I have the radio playing with the amp removed and all functions including the rear pod switch running properly off the radio’s signal.  All needed plugs on the bike have been located and verified.  I will be making up a couple of harnesses this afternoon to get ready to do some further testing, and from there I plan on starting the install of the Wild Boar amp and speakers this afternoon and into tomorrow."

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »

Interesting Nik, a friend of mine has had very good luck on his last 2 bikes with Hog Tunes. I'm sure they'll be successful and you'll be happy. Please include all of the replacement part #s in your finished description.  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »

You would have to compare the HD Stage II system to the Hogtunes you are looking at. 600 watts pushed out to 8 channels @ 2 ohms. Comparing it to the Stage I boom is not a fair fight.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.