Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needing a Re-tune?  (Read 995 times)

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
Needing a Re-tune?
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »

I had posted this on the other HD forum and would like the experts here advice.  Thanks!

Should I retune?

Story line and History:
I bought a 2012 Softail Convertible CVO a little over a year ago with just 4000 miles on it. It went back and forth to Hawaii (long story) and was not ridden as much as I had envisioned, and now has 8800 miles on her. It came with a Screaming Eagle Pro tuner, and 2 into 1 Vance and Hines pipes on the CVO 110 engine, and ran great till now. It is popping and backfiring on deceleration and also when up-shifting....I have changed gas to different brands, all without ethanol, and still the popping persists.

The Tuner became lost on its way back from Hawaii, so I do not have the original it was married to. Yesterday I went down to Myrtle Beach bike week to talk with the Vance and Hines vendor (they are very helpful!!) regarding the FP3 tuner they promote (and on sale during bike week). Glad I did as it won't work with my bike, and is not supported. Do I bite the bullet and purchase the Harley supported tuner, look into other tuners, dyna tune, or let the dealership figure it out? The bike runs real smooth has plenty of power, torque and is a blast to ride...it just pops....do I live with it? Thanks for any insight!!
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Needing a Re-tune?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:33:04 AM »

The tune doesn't change on it's own, so I'd suggest the problem is something other than the tune based on the fact it didn't pop over the past 4000+ miles and suddenly started doing so.  I think I'd start by looking for exhaust air leaks, which will cause popping.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »

^^^  What Jerry said.  Once the (probable) exhaust leak is fixed, you might not need to get it re-tuned.

If you need or want a new tune at some point, you might check into the TTS tuner or the PowerVision.  I'd also stay away from (most) of the dealer dyno technicians, as they usually aren't the best; many of them can only do downloads (HD canned maps).
If you want peace, prepare for war.

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »

Thanks for the info fellows!  I'm currently reading through a multitude of past threads and posts regarding tuners, trying to understand this subject a little better.  Probably getting more confused now than when I started!!  I have decided to find the person first, then the tuner application, to see what they are most comfortable with, what they recommend, and what works best for my bike.  I've checked the plugs and can't see anything wrong there, the exhaust will be next on its 10000 mile service in a couple of weeks.  Thanks again for the education....love this site!
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »

Just had the 25k service done on my bike. Told the mechanic that it's been popping a lot lately. Turns out the intake had loosened up a little and was causing a leak.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

...  I have decided to find the person first, then the tuner application, to see what they are most comfortable with, what they recommend, and what works best for my bike...
Best way to conquer this task :2vrolijk_21:... find a good tuner first, tuner they recommend second (most likely the one the are most proficient with/at), and what works best for bike third (more than likely will be what is recommended as #2). Doing it any other way could lead to disappointment. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.