Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Warning about speeding in Nevada  (Read 4635 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Warning about speeding in Nevada
« on: March 15, 2007, 12:08:06 AM »

While looking at a Chevy Avalanche website I came across some info you might be interested in if you plan on traveling in Nevada.

The below was posted by an Avalanche site member named INresponse.

The benefit of being a CAFCNA member.
« on: 03/13/07 11:49 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, for one you get the tip that Nevada will be stepping up its traffic enforcement for speeders, primarily, and of course other violations.  The typical belief that you wont be bothered if you do 5 over, or 10 over, or 15 over the posted speed limits.

Well, surprise, the tickets will be handed out to anyone who is stopped for speeding, even if it is only 5 over the posted limit. 

Keep in mind, the limit is the, well, limit and you should not be driving over the limit.  Just like fishing, if the limit is 5 and you have 6 you are over the limit and you will be cited.

This will be the case for Nevada Highway Patrol, Las Vegas Metro, Henderson PD, North Las Vegas PD, Boulder City, and most likely the entire state.  I can't speak for certain about the PD's in the rest of Nevada, but my understanding is it will be statewide policy.

Drive careful and have a nice day.     

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Warning about speeding in Nevada
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:09:55 AM »

INresponse further posted :

Although radar detectors do their job as advertised you may not want to count on them too much.  Most radars now have a trigger, like a gun, and have an instant on/off ability.  When the vehicle is seen approaching at a high rate of speed (yes....with lots of practice we can tell just by looking how fast a car is traveling)  some officers may leave them in the ON position so you can pick up the signal in advance, but others will use the on/off feature and get you when you get in sight.  Also, the laser type guns have a sighting feature like a rifle scope that is pointed directly at a single vehicle, when the sight is lined up the trigger is pulled and you are done.  Before the radar detector beeps you are clocked and hung out to dry.

If the officer just got done with one customer and sets up just as you are coming into view it may have been 5 minutes or more since the radar/laser gun was turned on.  That could be 5 or more miles of driving time without any beeps from the detector.

Now, I know some people have great luck with their detectors but I am just offering you a fair warning.  I know that tickets in Henderson start at $167.00 and jump up dramatically in 10 mph increments.

ps:  years ago when I was working with the Explorer program (high school kids interested in being cops) I would take them on ride alongs and occasionally bet them lunch that I could guess the speed of 10 cars in a row within 5 mph.  They held the radar gun and chose the cars.  I won the bets more often than not.  With practice it is very easy to guess a vehicles speed, which is very helpful if the officer wants to use the on/off trigger to surprise people with radar detectors.  Occasionally I would just warn everyone without radar detectors and write the tickets to those with radar detectors.     (gotta have some fun) 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »

Well I'll throw in a heads up for the Nelson GTG riders this summer too.

Wahington State is and I imagine will be on a ZERO Tolerance policy regarding speeding.  As above tickets will be issued if you are stopped for speeding.  This didn't just start, but has been the case for most of 2006 and into 2007.

twincam

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »

While looking at a Chevy Avalanche website I came across some info you might be interested in if you plan on traveling in Nevada.

The below was posted by an Avalanche site member named INresponse.

The benefit of being a CAFCNA member.
« on: 03/13/07 11:49 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, for one you get the tip that Nevada will be stepping up its traffic enforcement for speeders, primarily, and of course other violations.  The typical belief that you wont be bothered if you do 5 over, or 10 over, or 15 over the posted speed limits.
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP VA... WILL BE IN LAS VEGAS MARCH 26-29 ON A JOB. & YOU SPEED ON THE FREEWAY BETWEEN HENDERSON AND VEGAS JUST TO KEEP UP WITH TRAFFIC. I WILL WATCH MY PS &QS SINCE YOUR POST!!! ;)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:46:57 PM »

Guess who got busted today in Washington?

Holy crap 71 in a 60.  I swore I was going 63 on cruise and I was, well at least I was convinced I was.  After I got the I had sold my soul and pled my case he asked if I had any Diesel Dodges on the lot and we had a nice chat along with a warning to keep my speed down.

It was 38 degrees out and I didn't turn the Porsche off during the process, so when I got back on the road I hit reset........holy chit, I had it set at 71.  No idea how that was but I must have looked convinced.  Thank you officer I truly believed it was set for the 60 zone.

By the way, he was on his Bimmer, two motor officers whacking us good.  Never stood a chance.  I will be minding my P's and Q's too.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 05:13:57 PM »

Guess who got busted today in Washington?

Holy crap 71 in a 60.  I swore I was going 63 on cruise and I was, well at least I was convinced I was.  After I got the I had sold my soul and pled my case he asked if I had any Diesel Dodges on the lot and we had a nice chat along with a warning to keep my speed down.

It was 38 degrees out and I didn't turn the Porsche off during the process, so when I got back on the road I hit reset........holy chit, I had it set at 71.  No idea how that was but I must have looked convinced.  Thank you officer I truly believed it was set for the 60 zone.

By the way, he was on his Bimmer, two motor officers whacking us good.  Never stood a chance.  I will be minding my P's and Q's too.

YOUR A LUCKY DOG ROG, GLAD HE UNDERSTOOD. :huepfenlol2:    :oops:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »

YOUR A LUCKY DOG ROG, GLAD HE UNDERSTOOD. :huepfenlol2:    :oops:
\

Yep, it just wasn't my day.  I recall back when I got tickets they used to send a letter on the second one telling you that statistics showed if you got two in a short amount of time you would most likely get another.

If the guy today only knew I got the finger wag from my local city police last week near my house I'm sure I would have been toast.  I guess I better watch it.  That's why I was on cruise after last week.  I set that puppy a couple over and pay attention.  I guess my level of attention just got doubled.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »

zero tolerance on speeding is a relative term....
there aint enough cops or enough radar guns to write everyone....so its kinda like reverse powerball...  when you win, you lose

having said that...   in most places it is awful damn expensive....   most cops i know will show some love ( discretion) for 6 ish over...
except in school and construction zones...
the earlier commnets about on/ off radar and visual recognition are dead on...  with practice you can tell just by looking

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 06:24:07 PM »

zero tolerance on speeding is a relative term....
there aint enough cops or enough radar guns to write everyone....so its kinda like reverse powerball...  when you win, you lose

having said that...   in most places it is awful damn expensive....   most cops i know will show some love ( discretion) for 6 ish over...
except in school and construction zones...
the earlier commnets about on/ off radar and visual recognition are dead on...  with practice you can tell just by looking

I was riding with a buddy one evening when he pulled a guy over.  The conversation seemed the perfect explanation of who gets caught and who doesn't.  The buddy and the speeder were having a good natured little chat.  No problems at all.  And the guys asks (something like), "lots of cars been going around me all afternoon, why'd I get so lucky?"  Without missing a beat the buddy says "you ever go fishin'?   Just can't catch 'em all."

Everyone chuckled and went on their merry way.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »

WHATEVER  :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »

WHATEVER  :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Spider needs to go for a ride.  Maybe a ServiCar?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 10:17:48 PM »

Spider needs to go for a ride.  Maybe a ServiCar?

great idea. We'll get one with the coke machine rear end, fill it with beer and ice, I'll sit up on top drinkin beer and you can drive.

Ok, I'll hand you a beer once in awhile so long as you promise not to tell anyone I was ridin beeeeeeeetch
 :D :D :D :D :D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:40 PM »

great idea. We'll get one with the coke machine rear end, fill it with beer and ice, I'll sit up on top drinkin beer and you can drive.

Ok, I'll hand you a beer once in awhile so long as you promise not to tell anyone I was ridin beeeeeeeetch

Deal  :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2: !

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 11:18:53 PM »

Now I wonder what I'm going to do with the fancy new radar detector I just mounted on my Jester. I guess it will let me know that coffee and donuts are just ahead.  :huepfenlol2: Just kidding of course. I wouldn't want the job they have for sure. Too many weirdo's around. Just like to keep everyone honest of course.
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 11:59:34 PM »

Zero tolerance, huh?? Pretty harsh. Sounds like the coffers are running low and need to be filled. Kinda like the Colorado Springs Police ... I mean tax collectors.  ;)

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 02:01:42 AM »

Here is a warning for Alberta travellers.

We now have a new bunch of Sheriffs. There main focus will be RCMP support and traffic patrol in the rural, outlying areas.
These areas used to be our "autobahns" sort of speak. With as many back roads as Alberta has, getting caught speeding was very rare and our average rate of speed was in the "boy you can make good time if you try" range.

We had 2 of these Sheriffs come into the shop awhile back and talked to us about selling non DOT helmets too.

Sheriffs back roaming the Wild West again..... Hmmm too bad!

Brad

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »

Here is a warning for Alberta travellers.
We now have a new bunch of Sheriffs. There main focus will be RCMP support and traffic patrol in the rural, outlying areas.
These areas used to be our "autobahns" sort of speak. With as many back roads as Alberta has, getting caught speeding was very rare and our average rate of speed was in the "boy you can make good time if you try" range.
We had 2 of these Sheriffs come into the shop awhile back and talked to us about selling non DOT helmets too.
Sheriffs back roaming the Wild West again..... Hmmm too bad!
Brad

Brad, that was part of the crack down in Washington state too.  New batch of State Patrol graduated and the put them out doing speed enforcement.

Do you know if BC is tough on the DOT helmet thing?

Rog

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »

I LIKE IT :2vrolijk_21:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »

Zero tolerance, huh?? Pretty harsh. Sounds like the coffers are running low and need to be filled. Kinda like the Colorado Springs Police ... I mean tax collectors.  ;)

You mean the Colorado Springs Honda Ridin' Revenue Enhancement Team?
you are correct sir

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 11:57:47 PM »

Do you know if BC is tough on the DOT helmet thing?
For

Hey Roger, I have not heard anything either way in BC.
For most every other Hiway Offence, BC stands for "bring cash" as the fines tend to be higher......

TTYL

Brad

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 01:58:15 AM »

Brad, that was part of the crack down in Washington state too.  New batch of State Patrol graduated and the put them out doing speed enforcement.

Do you know if BC is tough on the DOT helmet thing? Rog

Since DOT is a US standard technically the little sticker on the back of a helmet doesn't count for much up this way.  However, when you go in to buy a helmet in Canada they advertise them as "DOT approved" so.........  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

But to answer your question the answer is no, BC is genrally not tough on what helmets riders wear as long as you are wearing one.  A lot of my friends wear beanies, I've gone through police road blocks wearing one and no problem.

I believe the law here in BC for helmets states something like "....will have a hard outer shell with a soft inner lining...."  or something to that effect.  Back ten or fifteen years ago (about the time our good neighbours to the south in Washington State went from no helmet to mandatory helmets) there was a crack down on helmets.  Guys starting riding around with salad bowls with a towel inside held on by a bungee cord.  It meet the definition of a helmet (and was handy if you were camping as it was one less cooking utensil to pack) and resulted in a few pictures in the newspaper, a few court cases and the issue went away.

I think it was Leo that had mentioned in another thread that as long as it looks like more than a saucer that normally had a tea cup sitting in it you'll be fine.

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 10:19:22 AM »

"....will have a hard outer shell with a soft inner lining...."  or something to that effect.    Guys starting riding around with salad bowls with a towel inside held on by a bungee cord. 

Hard to find a black salad bowl, I guess I'll go with stainless.  but the towel thing  :nixweiss: makes it kind of hard to see.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:21:21 AM by Rjob749 »

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 12:04:25 PM »

I like the salad bowl idea, but would prefer a black towl :huepfenjump3:. But, here in oregon it has to be a tie-down strap and a dot sticker on showing on the back. Technically, here in Oregon, if it has a hard outer shell, soft inner shell and strap with the DOT on the back, cops won't even stop ya.
UglyJohn
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »

John, you'll have to show us, I was only good with the bungy.

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »

The CHP in Northern Cal is also having a zero tolerance program right now. They also are armed with new laser guns they claim their is not a detector available that will detect them.

SanJoseDuke
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »

Just spent 3 months in LasVegas & if I understood right the speed crackdown was for the month of March.Didn't seem to make much differance.If you tried to go 55 in the 20 mile long construction zone on I 15 you'd get blown off the road.
   On helmets in Cannada I know ontario will give a really hard time for a non DOT helmets.Of corse that was at Port Dover Friday the 13th where the cop are out in force.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »

FYI...

I just mounted my new Escort 9500i on my scoot and took it out for a spin.  I also have a garmin 2610 onboard.

The escort locks in your speed on the display when it fires off.  My garmin always shows +3 mph over speedo.

I hit several k,x, ka radars out on my drive and guess what -- the speed matches my garmin -- +3 mph over the speedo.

This escort also uses gps to allow the user to "mark and mask out" known locations so maybe the agreement with the garmin is because of tracking on the same signals.

Anyway, I'm always going to add 3 mph to the speedo for safety.

I'm shocked - yes shocked, to know that the speedo may be reporting as precisely as my gas gage!

Mark

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:12:20 AM by nixobilly »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 11:07:49 AM »

And the speedo says certified on it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

skrmn

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »

Back to NV for a sec. Wife and I live in Reno and just came back from a trip to the GC. My understanding is keep it under 80mph on hwy and your ok. We did see a few cops (very few in the desolated areas, which is most of NV) and they were no prob. As far as Vegas, just drive with the traffic....everybody speeds. If you don't you'll get run over.......
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.