Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tax and Audit Trifecta  (Read 3279 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Tax and Audit Trifecta
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:21:37 PM »

Well, it is my year for Audits...

Two weeks ago, the IRS nicely asked me to send them over $10,000 in taxes, interest and penalties for 2005.  I respectfully responded no and provided the supporting documentation...next step is theirs.

Then I checked the RI website for the status of my ~$100 return...it indicated they had a problem with the e-file...I spent three days trying to get through to the Division of Taxation...finally did and they told me I am not getting the $100 back but that I owe them $8,800!  After picking myself off the floor, I faxed them a paper copy of my return.  This one had a happy ending with me getting an extra $33!

Now, the state of Taxachusetts is trying to collect Sales and Use tax on the boat...about $12K plus interest and penalty.  This boat was delivered to and stored in Rhode Island and is therefore subject to RI tax laws which happen to be favorable to boats...there are no sales or use taxes for boats.  I just finished my response letter with supporting documentation.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
Re: Tax and Audit Trifecta
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »

Taxation purely sucks! The honus is always on the taxpayer to prove or disprove their allegations. I feel for you Bill.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:39 PM »

Sorry to hear you're goint through all this Bill.

Just got a 5k check from the IRS for a return from 2002, it started as a charge then a credit and went back and forth for the last five years.

Now it is mostly square I guessed until Friday when we started getting the misapplied letters all over again for the same years.  At least the 5k is in the bank until we figure it all out.

Unreal, I guess they must be hiring auditors now that the "we won't raise taxes" group is firing up the spend machine.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »

just had an audit on my 05 taxes last week. after providing everything they asked for,  the audit came out to the penny.  tax guy said he's never seen this happen.  usually someone owes something. either me to them or them to me.  hope this means they won't bother me for awhile.   good luck guys with yours.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »

Unreal, I guess they must be hiring auditors now that the "we won't raise taxes" group is firing up the spend machine.

Rob

"[T]he spend machine"  has been fired up for the last 6 years in case you haven't noticed.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:52:38 PM »

Damn Bill

OUCH!!!!

I go through this periodically myself with the state of Vermont and Colorado....
Vermont decides I owe them taxes on my active duty pay  ( which VT  doesnt tax)
and Colorado decides i was just kidding when i claimed VT as my residence

and round and round the dance goes....  every couple o years..

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »

Now, the state of Taxachusetts is trying to collect Sales and Use tax on the boat...about $12K plus interest and penalty.  This boat was delivered to and stored in Rhode Island and is therefore subject to RI tax laws which happen to be favorable to boats...there are no sales or use taxes for boats.  I just finished my response letter with supporting documentation.

/Bill

Bill

I went through the same thing several years ago.  I used and registered the boat in Idaho but stored it in Washington.  That's OK, no WA use tax.  The minute I towed the boat to Seattle and dumped it in the water there for a cruise North I was deemed to have used the boat in WA and subject to the difference between Washington sales tax at 8.8% and Idaho sales tax at 5%.  This was several boats ago and it only cost me $3300 but I recall being offended enough to go through several months of appeals before resigning myself to the inevitable.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:46:02 AM »

I can come up with absolutely nothing nice to say about the IRS bunch, so in the interest of playing nice, I will say nothing...

:sauer005: :bigcry: :rolleyes4: :stars: :thumbsdown: :worried2: :veryangry2: :argue: :sauer019: :smilie_daumenneg: :sauer021:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:21:53 AM »

Two down one to go!

The IRS agreed with my response and I have the letter stating that I owe nothing and that the issue is closed...Woo hoo!

The state of MA has yet to respond or even indicate that they received my response....but it was delivered as I have the return receipt to prove it.

Anyone want to buy a 2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer with twin 340hp CAT Diesels?

/Bill

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »

Two down one to go!

The IRS agreed with my response and I have the letter stating that I owe nothing and that the issue is closed...Woo hoo!

The state of MA has yet to respond or even indicate that they received my response....but it was delivered as I have the return receipt to prove it.

Anyone want to buy a 2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer with twin 340hp CAT Diesels?

/Bill

Want to, but able to may be the issue here Bill. 

Going BIGGER?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:37:21 AM by Rjob749 »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »

Want to, but able to may be the issue here Bill. 

Going BIGGER?

Not using it enuf!  Also wish I had the sedan bridge...better visibility.  Also, the maintenance and cleaning is taking it's toll on me...I just do not enjoy that aspect...little things like the drain for the built-in cooler being clogged...and I cannot clear it...probably bees nest.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »

Not using it enuf!  Also wish I had the sedan bridge...better visibility.  Also, the maintenance and cleaning is taking it's toll on me...I just do not enjoy that aspect...little things like the drain for the built-in cooler being clogged...and I cannot clear it...probably bees nest.

I hear you.  All the rolling, floating stock is tough to get time to use.

Maybe we need to retire..............oh, then we couldn't afford to use it, never mind :-\

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »

after five months and 250k, i hope to close my case at the end of the month.
whats a person to do. my 08 fltr will have to be a standard issue.
my ex-tax lady messed me up.....plugged a few unaccountable numbers in.  :soapbox:
live and learn
TN

Aw chit, I hate to hear that about a tax preparer.  Worse yet is you get stuck with an unexpected bill.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 08:53:10 PM »

Guess I've been lucky. No issues with the taxman in the 19 years active duty. I have never known any of my friends or fellow soldiers to have been audited either, except for state taxes. For me... the great REPUBLIC OF TEXAS leaves me alone.
I think with the feds, they just feel sorry for us. F-em. 

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »

I am in the middle of chaos right now with the taxman. My accountant took care of  my business books and payroll for me as an employee of my corp. Been a great thing for several years, no problems. A few weeks back the IRS calls asking for $8600  :o  Turns out several of the checks he wrote to the taxman last year to pay them the money he witheld from my payroll checks bounced....also he is being indicted for defrauding many others by filing a return that was bigger than the returns they signed - they took the instant refund and left, he got the bigger refund and kept the diff.  So now the IRS has been sending notices to the address i used with them which his office and he kept the notices so I never knew this was happening. Meanwhile they have filed Liens, I have retained a lawyer and see nothing good to come from this. I just want it over, this is a horrible cloud hanging around. >:(
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.