Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 7677 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Immigration
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »

I was sent the following from a good friend from this site that lives on the west coast.
As far as Chip and Nancy are concerned, what was said below 100 years ago still should apply today!

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

twincam

Re: Immigration
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »

here here, Bully for you !!!!!!!! the so called immagrants that come through my back yard ......daily are carrying backpacks full of drugs, they make there drop then get on the highway and wait for a border patrol agent to come by for a free ride back to Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »

Chip, I'm a big TR fan.  His words (in fact those very words) have come up before here.  A short bit recently here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11572.0

Also a brief but enjoyable back and forth between Spider and I and a few others a year or so ago here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6135.0

If memory serves the citation for TR's remarks are in that latter thread somewhere too.  He may have been in office 100 years ago.  He could not have envisioned today.  But his words often still have a particular resonance to current contexts.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »

Chip, I'm a big TR fan.  His words (in fact those very words) have come up before here.  A short bit recently here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11572.0

Also a brief but enjoyable back and forth between Spider and I and a few others a year or so ago here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6135.0

If memory serves the citation for TR's remarks are in that latter thread somewhere too.  He may have been in office 100 years ago.  He could not have envisioned today.  But his words often still have a particular resonance to current contexts.

Don

I knew you would read this and based on my source I was hoping and believing that the content of TR's words had not been altered. If anyone would know, I feel you would.

I went back to the post you attached and noticed the following post from our own GRC,

"Big B,

That's just the latest item in this "immigration" issue that has me pissed off.  How about millions of illegal immigrants marching and disrupting our cities while demanding their rights.  I realize that much of our government, and society in general, has turned into a bunch of spineless apologists for every BS group out there, but when the hell did foreigners who have blatantly broken Federal laws and abused the American taxpayers get legal rights?  If I break the law, my ass goes to the clink.  They break the law, and our politicians kiss their ass and hand them my hard-earned tax dollars. 

All the mouthpieces for these people keep trying to make this an immigration issue, and conviently ignore comments and questions about the real issue:  ILLEGAL immigration.  This country has already given amnesty to large numbers of illegals at least twice since the Reagan years, both to appease the Mexican government and to maintain the financial support of the well-heeled folks who hire illegals rather than pay a living wage to a legal American.  As far as I'm concerned, that's at least two times too many.

Jerry"

Just reading one of Jerry's past post makes me realize how much we miss his imput.
He is dead on with his words and (not to get off topic with this thread) I wish he was back!

S
  /
    B

:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 12:43:11 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

For those that may not know, I was born a Canadian citizen.  I married an American who joined the US Army rigt after our marrieage, and we have been all around the world because of that career choice.  But a few years after being married and having a hard time getting a 'good' job since I was a citizen of a country other than the one I was living in, I converted to becoming an American.  When I was standing in a room with many others who had studied, bought passage, left their home countries, left their families and life styles behind so they could also apply for American citizenship, we were all asked, one time and it was not negotiable, "Do you solemnly swear to forgo any allegiance to any other country other than that of the United States of America?"  We all answered "I Do!"  I may not have every word verbatim here, but it was something like that, and for me, it hurt me to the core of my heart to have to do it.  It was just the right thing to do for me and my family.  I live in America.  I work in America.  I reap the benefits of both.  I do not forget where I came from, but I am a true American through and through!. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »

Chip, I'm embarassed to admit I'd not even specifically noticed Jerry's lack of activity.  With so many people here it's too easy for everyone but those several you actually connect with regularly to kind of blend together.  There were many of GRC's posts I remember and were helped by.  But until you mentioned and I just went to look I didn't know he'd not been active since mid-February. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »

For those that may not know, I was born a Canadian citizen.  I married an American who joined the US Army rigt after our marrieage, and we have been all around the world because of that career choice.  But a few years after being married and having a hard time getting a 'good' job since I was a citizen of a country other than the one I was living in, I converted to becoming an American.  When I was standing in a room with many others who had studied, bought passage, left their home countries, left their families and life styles behind so they could also apply for American citizenship, we were all asked, one time and it was not negotiable, "Do you solemnly swear to forgo any allegiance to any other country other than that of the United States of America?"  We all answered "I Do!"  I may not have every word verbatim here, but it was something like that, and for me, it hurt me to the core of my heart to have to do it.  It was just the right thing to do for me and my family.  I live in America.  I work in America.  I reap the benefits of both.  I do not forget where I came from, but I am a true American through and through!. 

Candy, I'd never asked and it's none of my business if you prefer not to answer.  But when you gained American citizenship did you also retain your Canadian citizenship.  The US is one of just a few places that puts no (well, relatively few) strings on dual citizenship.  US law on the matter is in fact pointedly and pretty specifically moot.  Lots of interesting history there as to reasons why.  But we choose to allow pretty much without reservation (and accept the contradictions it sometimes creates) what many others do not allow so easily or at all.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »

here here, Bully for you !!!!!!!! the so called immagrants that come through my back yard ......daily are carrying backpacks full of drugs, they make there drop then get on the highway and wait for a border patrol agent to come by for a free ride back to Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know how you live down there. Its beautiful country but its been taken over by criminals. I'm moving out of Phoenix because of the Illegals, I cant even imagine it down there!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »

Chip, I'm embarassed to admit I'd not even specifically noticed Jerry's lack of activity.  With so many people here it's too easy for everyone but those several you actually connect with regularly to kind of blend together.  There were many of GRC's posts I remember and were helped by.  But until you mentioned and I just went to look I didn't know he'd not been active since mid-February. 

Don, surprised you missed this. We've been asking this question for months. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11808.0 We all miss him here and nobody's heard from him. Maybe he's looking at this and will see his presence is missed and will at least let us know everything's OK! Hoist! 8)

We don't get that illegal immigrant problem here in NYC! ::) ::) ::)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »

Candy, I'd never asked and it's none of my business if you prefer not to answer.  But when you gained American citizenship did you also retain your Canadian citizenship.  The US is one of just a few places that puts no (well, relatively few) strings on dual citizenship.  US law on the matter is in fact pointedly and pretty specifically moot.  Lots of interesting history there as to reasons why.  But we choose to allow pretty much without reservation (and accept the contradictions it sometimes creates) what many others do not allow so easily or at all.

Canada recognizes dueal citizenship, but the US, said you give up all allegiance to any country other than the US if you want to become a US citizen.  I wanted and I gave it up.  If for some reason, not to be understood at this time, I were to move back to Canada, I could regain my citizenship no harder than saying I am here, and I am Canadian.  But while in the US and working as a US citizen, I am no longer a Canadian, except in my deepest part of my heart. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 01:21:50 PM »

I was sent the same email - Teddy Roosevelt quote - as Chip.

Others have said it before - Pres. Roosevelt said it very well a long time ago.  The issue remains illegal immigation, not legal immigation.  Some PC types object to the terminolgy calling these illegals what they are - illegal.  If we adopted the same policy on illegal immigration as say... oh....Mexico then our problem here would diminish.

Our politicians at varying times in our history have addressed the problems of illegal immigration in a variety of ways. Considering the current political climate, I do not hold out any hope that some amnesty program will fail.  It appears to be inevitable and once again the pols move the problem a little on further down the road. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »

Ok, Excuse me while I go on a rant myself. I'm not trying to say illegal aliens aren't a problem. It's a huge problem. I've got a differnt twist on it.

I'm in the construction business in the heartland of America. Here, labor rates are from $8-$16 an hour depending on experience and the task at hand. Try and hire labor for $12. All you'll get is the meth heads and drunkards on work release. If a guy shows up drunk and you fire him, he'll apply for unemployment and I would venture to guess 95% of the time succeed in getting it. Who pays the bill? First, I do. Secondly we all do. After he gets on unemployement, He'll find a job that pays cash & he'll be better off than a person who will actually work. Our society makes it better for these people to NOT work and be productive. Well, who is going to pour the concrete and bust the rebar? Who is going to hang the steel and frame the houses? The Mexicans. They don't mind. They're happy to just have a job. So, while they're doing our work, the rest of us draw our check from the government. Is there any wonder there's a federal deficit? How much longer can we continue?

As long as I'm showing my ass, let me get the rest out of my system. Ever heard of the Davis Bacon act? Labor and wage scale? Davis and Bacon were large contractors up North somewhere. Boston, NYC, or Chicago. There was a large government project bidding and a contractor from Louisiana won the bid and brought all the help from the cotton patches up north to work, because they were cheaper. After all, they were looking for the cheapest bid, right? Well--Davis nor bacon were very happy, so they vowed that wouldn't happen again. They got legislation passed to make sure that other federally funded projects pay "prevailing wages". Now, across the country "prevailing wages" is pretty standard on government funded projects. I'm on the TN/Ky line. In KY, an iron workers gets $24 an hour plus $8 in benefits. The WC rate for an iron worker is $75 per hundred. That means that man costs $56 per hour. Twenty miles away Across the state line in TN, it's about 1/2 of that. $56 an hour? Are we out of our minds? And if you asked that iron worker to pour concrete he'd tell you to kiss his ass because That's not in his job description.

If We continue in this way and the Mexicans are willing to work and work hard for $12 an hour, I say--BRING EM ON.

It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »

Ok, Excuse me while I go on a rant myself. I'm not trying to say illegal aliens aren't a problem. It's a huge problem. I've got a differnt twist on it.

I'm in the construction business in the heartland of America. Here, labor rates are from $8-$16 an hour depending on experience and the task at hand. Try and hire labor for $12. All you'll get is the meth heads and drunkards on work release. If a guy shows up drunk and you fire him, he'll apply for unemployment and I would venture to guess 95% of the time succeed in getting it. Who pays the bill? First, I do. Secondly we all do. After he gets on unemployement, He'll find a job that pays cash & he'll be better off than a person who will actually work. Our society makes it better for these people to NOT work and be productive. Well, who is going to pour the concrete and bust the rebar? Who is going to hang the steel and frame the houses? The Mexicans. They don't mind. They're happy to just have a job. So, while they're doing our work, the rest of us draw our check from the government. Is there any wonder there's a federal deficit? How much longer can we continue?

As long as I'm showing my ass, let me get the rest out of my system. Ever heard of the Davis Bacon act? Labor and wage scale? Davis and Bacon were large contractors up North somewhere. Boston, NYC, or Chicago. There was a large government project bidding and a contractor from Louisiana won the bid and brought all the help from the cotton patches up north to work, because they were cheaper. After all, they were looking for the cheapest bid, right? Well--Davis nor bacon were very happy, so they vowed that wouldn't happen again. They got legislation passed to make sure that other federally funded projects pay "prevailing wages". Now, across the country "prevailing wages" is pretty standard on government funded projects. I'm on the TN/Ky line. In KY, an iron workers gets $24 an hour plus $8 in benefits. The WC rate for an iron worker is $75 per hundred. That means that man costs $56 per hour. Twenty miles away Across the state line in TN, it's about 1/2 of that. $56 an hour? Are we out of our minds? And if you asked that iron worker to pour concrete he'd tell you to kiss his ass because That's not in his job description.

If We continue in this way and the Mexicans are willing to work and work hard for $12 an hour, I say--BRING EM ON.

Just Legally...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »

OK, I will gladly pay as many people as it will take $5.00 - $10.00 /hr to spread some mulch around for me as my husband has a bad back and I have just had surgery on my knee.  We normally buy two pallets of mulch from Home Depot or Lowes in bags.  Then the bags are in the back of the truck and we can drive the truck around to where we need mulch.  Throw the bags off in the places you need them, just split the bags open and dump, and rake a bit.  Pretty easy when you can do it.  We are in a position today to not really be able to do it.  So I want to hire someone to do it for me.  I've gotten a quote from someone who is going to charge me $200 for the mulch and wants $180 for the labor of spreading it around a new area we have just put some flowers in.  This is not even a dent in my entire yard.  If I get Lowes or Home depot to deliver, it is $180 for the mulch in bags for 60 bags and then I have to put spread it myself.  Where are all these illegal alians you are talking about that will work for 5 - 10 $ an hour.  I will pay, just don't know where to find them. They are not advertising in the local paper, ya know what I mean?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »

you cant be loking for them while you have your IRS badge on.......  :o
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 2.057 seconds with 21 queries.