Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Gee, Thanks Howie  (Read 9409 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Gee, Thanks Howie
« on: May 22, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »

Hoist, being the observant one he is, pointed this little settling crack to me. It's not too bad, right smack dab in the middle of the double garage door opening. It's a frame house with brick veneer, so not structural.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Gee, Thanks Howie
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:35:01 PM »

So, I keep looking at it because no crack is a good crack. Then I found this one... in the right hand corner of the opening. Makes sense, one cracks in the bottom of the span, and one crack at the top.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:10 PM »

Then I found this little one, still nothing TOO alarming...

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »

We're planning on having the house painted real soon, so I've been looking at the trim, and saw this spot where the miter had opened up. Hmmmm weird, I'll need to fix that before the painters get to work.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:50:46 PM »

Gee, now that I'm looking, why is there so much space between the window frame and the brick of our master bath?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »

I guess it COULD have something to do with this BIG Effing crack up here!!!!!!!!!!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »

It's always f'n something. Chit. Hope it's cheaply fixed.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:55:44 PM »

So, in summary, there isn't enough of a beam in the garage opening to support the weight of the brick above it, causing the center of the span to sag. Since these bricks arent the resilient kind that flex very much, it just pulled the whole skin around the master bath out, and knocking the trim apart.

Guess I'll be calling in a perfessoinal now. Good thing I just got some money for the blue bike.

Thanks Howie. You sure shot my ignorance is bliss period all to hell.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:56:57 PM »

Looks like you have some subterranean settling going on.  It's common in the south, especially during times of drought.  The soils supporting the foundations dry out, shrink, and cause the building to move.  I work in facilities planning at a major university and I've seen this quite a lot, especially in the last two years or so since our major drought began.  The best solution is to wet the soils down deep and keep them wet.  In some instances we have had to drill small wells all along a foundation wall and keep them pumped full of water.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »

Looks like you have some subterranean settling going on.  It's common in the south, especially during times of drought.  The soils supporting the foundations dry out, shrink, and cause the building to move.  I work in facilities planning at a major university and I've seen this quite a lot, especially in the last two years or so since our major drought began.  The best solution is to wet the soils down deep and keep them wet.  In some instances we have had to drill small wells all along a foundation wall and keep them pumped full of water.

No setling going on here. Check out the drop in the span of the garage opening. I haven't measured it, but it is pretty evident in the last pic (Some could be camera optics too). Major sag. Insufficient structure for the weight of the brick above. The crack in the first pic is just to the right of the light, open at the bottom of the span.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »

It's always f'n something. Chit. Hope it's cheaply fixed.

You know, this crap is so frustrating to find. Maybe I can get at it from the inside. Brace / jack the veneer and add a ton of beam inside, steel probably to hold it all tight. I've got almost 2 cubes of the brick, but since nothing has fallen down, and since there is access to the inside of the garage door, I'm hoping everything can be worked on without having to rip out any brick.

Crossing fingers on this one.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 06:25:44 PM »

Jesus, Chuck...I hope that is camera optics playing a part in that sag...what range lens is that taken with, and at what setting?  If it's less than 24mm, you've got some lens distortion going on.  Still, some sagging is evident.  Good luck with the fix...life's a bitch sometimes..
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 06:29:12 PM »

Seeing that you've got a wall resting on the center of the existing beam you, of course, will be really careful. If steel wasn't so dam expensive that'd be the way to go. I've yet to see properly seasoned wood used in new home construction. Stuff's generally oozing when they nail it up. Somewhere there's a guy who knows how to fix it, trick is finding him. Again, good luck.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »

Jesus, Chuck...I hope that is camera optics playing a part in that sag...what range lens is that taken with, and at what setting?  If it's less than 24mm, you've got some lens distortion going on.  Still, some sagging is evident.  Good luck with the fix...life's a bitch sometimes..

Yes, optics are playing games, but it is just emphasizing what is there, although, not that bad. Camera lens, oh, about as long as Dean's d!@k.

I'm really hoping it can be fixed with some good steel to support the brick ledge and just 'slide' everything back into place.

Suks being me right now.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »

Seeing that you've got a wall resting on the center of the existing beam you, of course, will be really careful. If steel wasn't so dam expensive that'd be the way to go. I've yet to see properly seasoned wood used in new home construction. Stuff's generally oozing when they nail it up. Somewhere there's a guy who knows how to fix it, trick is finding him. Again, good luck.

This is one of those times when I'll gladly pay to have it done right, the first time.

Where is the guy? I need him now.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.