Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Fort Riley, KS  (Read 4724 times)

REGGAB

Fort Riley, KS
« on: June 04, 2007, 07:01:20 PM »

Today I was put on short notice to be at Fort Riley, KS first thing next Monday morning 11 JUN 2007.  I say "short notice" because the trip hinges on completion of a few projects by other entities.  If those projects are complete, then I will leave Saturday 9 JUN 2007.  If those projects are not complete, then I'm not going anywhere.  If I go, I will be riding.  Thought I'd let those in my path know in case you'd like to meet for a meal or a brew or just to meet.  I'll be heading through Paducah, KY via whatever route mapquest pulls up.  Holler at me if you'd like to meet, and if I get the head nod from the boss on Friday, then we'll meet. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Fort Riley, KS
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »

From Paducah any mapping software will almost certainly take you 24 to 57 to 64 to 70.  In case you decide to stay south and then cut north on 65 or 71 toward Kansas City I'll send you the cell number.  Call if you're going to be even moderately close by.  For however  it figures in to your itinerary I'll be travelling Thursday to Saturday.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »

From Paducah any mapping software will almost certainly take you 24 to 57 to 64 to 70.  In case you decide to stay south and then cut north on 65 or 71 toward Kansas City I'll send you the cell number.  Call if you're going to be even moderately close by.  For however  it figures in to your itinerary I'll be travelling Thursday to Saturday.

I'll echo what 2lane said.  If your going to pass through this area let us know.

Ghost

REGGAB

Re: Fort Riley, KS via Memphis, Little Rock, Joplin and Kansas City
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:08:42 PM »

K, things are starting to fall into place.  It is looking more and more like this trip will be a "GO."  I also found out we're not doing anything until Tuesday morning, which gives me an extra day to play with, so here's what I've decided to do.
*Leave 0dark thirty Saturday morning, 9 June headed to Memphis, TN.  Travel to and through Little Rock via I-40.  Take I-540 north to US 71 to MO 249 to and through Joplin.  Take US 71 to I-435 to I-70 to KS 177 to Manhattan, KS.  Total distance:  904.11 miles
*I don't have to be in Manhattan, KS (Hampton Inn) until Monday evening 11 June.  I'm going to ride by the seat of my pants depending on who wants to GTG between my home and my final destination near Fort Riley.  I have 3 days to cover the distance.  I'm planning to stop in Rogers, AR for an hour or so to say "Hello" to some old friends, then hit the road again, but whether that happens Saturday or Sunday depends on who wants to visit between my home and Rogers, AR.  In other words:  I'm riding.  You now know my route.  Let me know if you'd like to meet for a beer.  I gotta stop when it gets dark, then I'll get up the next morning and start again........and so on........until I get to Manhattan, KS.
*Supposed to finish up at Fort Riley Friday evening 15 June, so I'll start home at 0dark thirty 16 June.  This time I'll take a more direct route via St. Louis, Paducah, KY and Nashville.

*  For those who aren't accustomed to military slang, 0dark thirty means Beginning Morning Nautical Twilight.  In other words:  First Light.

*  Of course, the only thing 'constant' is 'change.'  This could all go to chit if the projects I need aren't complete by Friday AM........and other than me pestering the folks responsible for those projects.............I've done my part......but things do look good.

*  See you on the road!

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »

I've got to work on Saturday, but could be in Joplin by 8:00pm or any time on Sunday, if that fits your travel plans, let us know. The first round is on me.  :drink: :drink: :drink: ;D

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:24:18 AM »

K, things are starting to fall into place.  It is looking more and more like this trip will be a "GO."  I also found out we're not doing anything until Tuesday morning, which gives me an extra day to play with, so here's what I've decided to do.
*Leave 0dark thirty Saturday morning, 9 June headed to Memphis, TN.  Travel to and through Little Rock via I-40.  Take I-540 north to US 71 to MO 249 to and through Joplin.  Take US 71 to I-435 to I-70 to KS 177 to Manhattan, KS.  Total distance:  904.11 miles
*I don't have to be in Manhattan, KS (Hampton Inn) until Monday evening 11 June.  I'm going to ride by the seat of my pants depending on who wants to GTG between my home and my final destination near Fort Riley.  I have 3 days to cover the distance.  I'm planning to stop in Rogers, AR for an hour or so to say "Hello" to some old friends, then hit the road again, but whether that happens Saturday or Sunday depends on who wants to visit between my home and Rogers, AR.  In other words:  I'm riding.  You now know my route.  Let me know if you'd like to meet for a beer.  I gotta stop when it gets dark, then I'll get up the next morning and start again........and so on........until I get to Manhattan, KS.
*Supposed to finish up at Fort Riley Friday evening 15 June, so I'll start home at 0dark thirty 16 June.  This time I'll take a more direct route via St. Louis, Paducah, KY and Nashville.

*  For those who aren't accustomed to military slang, 0dark thirty means Beginning Morning Nautical Twilight.  In other words:  First Light.

*  Of course, the only thing 'constant' is 'change.'  This could all go to chit if the projects I need aren't complete by Friday AM........and other than me pestering the folks responsible for those projects.............I've done my part......but things do look good.

*  See you on the road!

Here I go quoting myself again.  :o So far, I'm going.  Waiting on one package, which I should have tomorrow, so I can accomplish my mission at Ft. Riley.  I have 3 days to do this, so I'll likely spend Saturday in the Memphis area, then ride up to Joplin on Sunday.  Still pondering how to spend the rest of that day.  Might spend it with Don tearing up some Missouri backroads.  Perhaps I can talk him into scooting over to Sikeston for some throwed rolls.  Sunday will be a long day, I'm sure.  Monday I will head up to Ft. Riley, KS.  I'll need a rear tire when I get there, so I already have one held for me at Junction City, KS.  I'll be there until Saturday morning 16 June.  I plan to return home via St. Louis, Paducah, and Nashville.  If I'm passing through your AO, let me know and we'll get together.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:05:31 AM »

Here I go quoting myself again.  :o So far, I'm going.  Waiting on one package, which I should have tomorrow, so I can accomplish my mission at Ft. Riley.  I have 3 days to do this, so I'll likely spend Saturday in the Memphis area, then ride up to Joplin on Sunday.  Still pondering how to spend the rest of that day.  Might spend it with Don tearing up some Missouri backroads.  Perhaps I can talk him into scooting over to Sikeston for some throwed rolls.  Sunday will be a long day, I'm sure.  Monday I will head up to Ft. Riley, KS.  I'll need a rear tire when I get there, so I already have one held for me at Junction City, KS.  I'll be there until Saturday morning 16 June.  I plan to return home via St. Louis, Paducah, and Nashville.  If I'm passing through your AO, let me know and we'll get together.

We don't need to go to Sikeston for throwed rolls.  There's another of their restaurants just over an hour from here.  It's also within a stone's throw of Hobo and Scooterhair.  If you want throwed rolls (and who doesn't) ring them in to this chatter and we'll hook up with them that day.

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »

We don't need to go to Sikeston for throwed rolls.  There's another of their restaurants just over an hour from here.  It's also within a stone's throw of Hobo and Scooterhair.  If you want throwed rolls (and who doesn't) ring them in to this chatter and we'll hook up with them that day.

I didn't know that.........sounds good to me.  As long as they're tossing buns and keeping my plate full of fried okra, black eyed peas, green beans and that awesome pot roast......I'm good to go.  I'll forward the info to Hobo and Scooterhair.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »

I didn't know that.........

That's affirmed.  The restaurant is probably listed as "Springfield" but it's down between Springfield and Ozark.  Ozark is Hobo and Scooter.  It's gonna be a throwed roll CVO extravaganza (if the line isn't too long to get in).

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »

That's affirmed.  The restaurant is probably listed as "Springfield" but it's down between Springfield and Ozark.  Ozark is Hobo and Scooter.  It's gonna be a throwed roll CVO extravaganza (if the line isn't too long to get in).

What the hell is a "throwed roll" or "tossed buns", whatever? :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:43:24 AM »

(if the line isn't too long to get in).

I have the time if you guys do.  I don't have to be in KS until Monday evening  I can always rack out somewhere and get to Ft. Riley on Monday.

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »

What the hell is a "throwed roll" or "tossed buns", whatever? :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)

If have to explain, you wouldn't understand.  Just kidding!

Lambert's Cafe makes some of the finest southern cooking served family style.  They have folks roaming the dining area with hot fresh rolls.  All you have to do is holler at them, and they'll toss one to you.  Careful you're not in the flight path of someone elses's request.  I've been beaned by a hot bun on several occasions. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »

If have to explain, you wouldn't understand.  Just kidding!

Lambert's Cafe makes some of the finest southern cooking served family style.  They have folks roaming the dining area with hot fresh rolls.  All you have to do is holler at them, and they'll toss one to you.  Careful your're no in the flight path of someone elses's request.  I've been beaned by a hot bun on several occasions. :2vrolijk_21:

You mean they're just rolls that they throw across the room? :nixweiss: You FD gys kill me!!! ::) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

I have the time if you guys do.  I don't have to be in KS until Monday evening  I can always rack out somewhere and get to Ft. Riley on Monday.

It'll be ok.  It would be backtracking a bit coming back to Joplin.  Not huge, but a little.  If you decide, however, that progression is the order of the day from Lamberts you'd take hwys 13 and 7 North out of Springfield as the route to Kansas City.

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 10:50:05 AM »

Howie,
Until this morning I thought there were just two locations:  Sikeston, MO and Mobile, AL.  don tells me there is one in Springfield, MO as well, which is where the CVO Throwed Roll Extravaganza will take place.  You coming?

Henry

REGGAB

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:05 AM »

You mean they're just rolls that they throw across the room? :nixweiss: You FD gys kill me!!! ::) Hoist! 8)

Exactly.  Yeast rolls........damn good ones too.

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »

It'll be ok.  It would be backtracking a bit coming back to Joplin.  Not huge, but a little.  If you decide, however, that progression is the order of the day from Lamberts you'd take hwys 13 and 7 North out of Springfield as the route to Kansas City.

Roger......Got it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 11:01:38 AM »

Howie,
Until this morning I thought there were just two locations:  Sikeston, MO and Mobile, AL.  don tells me there is one in Springfield, MO as well, which is where the CVO Throwed Roll Extravaganza will take place.  You coming?

Henry

Sorry Henry, not this weekend. But save some of them for me to toss around in Sept! They'll be weapons by then! ;D Hoist! 8)

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »

Sorry Henry, not this weekend. But save some of them for me to toss around in Sept! They'll be weapons by then! ;D Hoist! 8)

Yeah......as well as bricks with which to build a house, chock blocks to keep my truck from rolling down a hill, baseballs, bowling balls.............BTW, how's your aim?  Just wondering, so I can establish the limits of the range fan into which I dare venture.   :2vrolijk_21: ;D

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »

OK folks, things are falling into place rather nicely.  I'll meet Terry and Suzanne in Tuscumbia, AL on Saturday, and we'll ride to Memphis.  I will spend the evening there.  Next day I'll leave at first light and head to Rogers, AR and visit with some friends there.  Hopefully I'll get to hook up with Hobo there as well, head to Joplin, pick up Don and Scooterhair and hopefully get to partake of some Throwed Rolls.  Might be a bit ambitious, but I'm game if they are.  I'll rack out Sunday evening somewhere in southern Missouri.  Monday morning, I'll probably get a late start toward Manhattan, KS, because at some point, I'm going to have to get my nose into my schoolwork............won't be ANY time for that next week at Ft. Riley.

Coming back home beginning the morning of 16 June via St. Louis, Paducah, and Nashville.  Going to try to link up with HogBreath somewhere around Sikeston, Missouri for one more Throwed Roll feast, then cross the Mississippi via the Dorena Ferry, make my way to Paducah, Nashville, and back home.  Probably can't do all that in one day, so wherever I am when the sun fades in the west is where I'll crash for the night.

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »

Met Terry and Suzanne in Tuscumbia, AL at Foster's HD this morning.  Rode to Memphis, where we met Mark, Jerry and J. Carolyn at Bumpus HD Shop of Collierville.  Cruised over to Bumpus of Memphis via some really fun side roads lead by Mark, then checked into hotel.  Went to Jerry and J. Carolyn's house, where we linked up with Mark.  Went to eat at Corky's BBQ where we met John and Debbie.  Wonderful day.  I'm tired.........very tired..........just a little wired.  I'm leaving in the morning enroute to Rogers, AR to link up with Cary, Don and others for a trip to Lambert's Cafe.  I have lots of pictures that I'll post later.  Left the camera in my tour pak.  All I can say at this point is I feel very blessed to have such wonderful friends.  What a rush!  Gotta crash.  Have a great rest of the weekend.

HML

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 06:14:07 AM »

Yesterday evening I got the bike all cleaned up and shiney, and this morning it is raining.  Good thing I haven't packed away my rain gear yet.  Oh well, I'll just was hit again, and it will rain again, and I'll wash it, and so on.   :mango:

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »

Things are going very well here.  So well in fact, that I am going to finish my tasks tomorrow.  Ft. Eustis is a NOGO, so I will begin my journey home on Friday.  Don't have a route locked in yet, but I have spoken with Hobo about passing through Sprinfield, MO on my way home.  This time I'm thinking about staying off I-70 and going  to US 54 via KS 177.  I'd like to stop at Silverline Ranch and get a picture of that house of which I spoke in the ride report.  Then I'll pick up MO 13 and possibly spend the evening in Springfield.  Next day I'll head out on US 60 to MO 25, where I'll take a southern detour to Malden; head west on the J and then north on the JJ to Glennonville to visit my Mom's grave.  Then backtrack to Malden and pick up US 62 into New Madrid, where I'll pick up the WW toward Dorena.  WW becomes A and runs into MO 77 straight to the Dorena Ferry.  Then I'll pick up KY 94 and KY 125, which becomes TN 5 to Union City, TN.  Then I'll pick up TN 431 to Martin, and TN 22 to US 64.  US 64 runs to Savannah, TN where I'll pick up TN 69, which becomes AL 20, which I'll follow into Huntsville to pick up US 231/431 toward my home.

Should make for some nice riding.  Holler at me if I'm passing near you and we'll get together.

HML
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.