Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Looking for info on South Korea  (Read 6649 times)

SPIDERMAN

Looking for info on South Korea
« on: June 12, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »

Who can tell me anything about South Korea ?  I might have to spend considerable time there on business. Not sure which area yet, it would be one of the major shipyards. Looking for info on local customs, housing, food etc. Could I take one of my H-D's etc.

Thanks
            B B

REGGAB

Re: Looking for info on South Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:14:52 AM »

Who can tell me anything about South Korea ?  I might have to spend considerable time there on business. Not sure which area yet, it would be one of the major shipyards. Looking for info on local customs, housing, food etc. Could I take one of my H-D's etc.

Thanks
            B B

Spent three years of my life there BB; whatever you need to know, I can hook you up, but..........I don't know anything about Pusan, because that was down south, and I was a 2ID Soldier up north on the DMZ.  Koreans tend to be very pushy when getting on buses.  They cut right in front of you and not think anything of it.  Trains and buses are the best way to get around.  If you happen to find yourself up north, go to Chuncheon.  Have meal on Takalbi Road.  It is a chicken dish with rice noodles, potatoes, cabbage, and it is cooked on the table in front of you.  Contrary to popular belief, kimchi is delicious, and don't worry about being fed dog.  You gotta ask for it, and it isn't too popular in most metropolitan areas.  You'll probably fly into Incheon.  Great airport.  Try to get by Itaewon and do some shopping for the family.  There is a Harley shop in Songtan near Osan AB.  You could ship Elvis or LD over there.  I saw plenty of people do that during all three of my tours.  Beautiful riding over there.........just mind your situational awareness, because the Koreans drive "differently."  Two speeds, stop and 70 mph, and the horn is a force field.  They think nothing of a little tap on the bumper.......or a big one for that matter.  They simply smile, wave, and keep on going.
I love the place.  I'd give anything to be in your shoes...........except Thumper would stay right here at home.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:10:04 AM »

Brian

I spent 12 months there in 00-01 ,and been back for about 14 fairly long trips since then...
been to many of the port cities and lived in Seoul....

as for the bikes..a few things... 
illegal to ride on the Main highways...  which can be a real pain in the ass trying to get anywhere

and as i understand it, you cant bring anything bigger than a 1200 over ( i may be wrong on this one, this might only be GIs )
i most certainly wouldnt bring ANY vehicle that i gave a damn about over there, maybe buy a throw-away harley ..the place is tough on vehicles..

as for housing,    again, depends on where you are...  mostly its overpriced, but well accomodated...  many of the big apartment buidlings are well, disposable, ...
the food isnt bad if you are a little adventerous.....  and you can get western food easily for a change of pace.

shopping is a national sport as is the wild traffic described below

if you are going back and forth a lot, the plane ride is a killer.... 
make sure your contract adresses business class at a minimum!  this makes it bearable

the people are generally nice...  there is much beautiful scenery...  broken up by big annoying cities....  but at least they have decent mass transit..

oh, and stay away from SoJu..stick with Mr Maker and his Mark..  trust me on this  :2vrolijk_21:

Id be happy to visit with you on it my brother,,  maybe in Nelson?

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:25:54 AM »

The 1200 limitation is for those troops purchasing HD's for use while over there thru AAFES.  Perhaps I failed to mention when I said I've seen plenty of big bikes over there, that they were Big Twins.
What's wrong with Soju?  It wears off after a few days, and you don't rememeber a thing............just like surgery.  Seriously though BB, try it if you want to, but by all means watch it.  It'll sneak up on you in no time and knock your tallywhacker in the dirt.  Best if you stick with Jinro (there is a frog on the label) and stay away from Bobae.  Bobae tends to have a little more sting.  Don't drink any of it straight.  Mix it with Sprite.  It is actually pretty good.............but it'll getcha.
You should be able to pick up some new riding leathers pretty cheap while there.  They're pretty good with leather, which is why I suggested Itaewon.  Songtan is another good shopping district.  Also, if you do make it to either of those places, bring a picture of Elvis and LD.  There are artists there that will paint a damn near lifelike portrait of your scoots with oil paint on canvas, framed.  they'll even pack it for you so you can send it home.  The greatest thing about shopping over there is the haggling over price.  You can do well if you can haggle.

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:23:23 AM »

WOW ... sounds like it would be awsome to spend about 3 weeks there.  Brian, I hope you have a laptop and they have wireless internet so we can hear (and see via pictures) about your adventures while you're there.   :2vrolijk_21:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:05:41 AM »

The 1200 limitation is for those troops purchasing HD's for use while over there thru AAFES.  Perhaps I failed to mention when I said I've seen plenty of big bikes over there, that they were Big Twins.
What's wrong with Soju?  It wears off after a few days, and you don't rememeber a thing............just like surgery.  Seriously though BB, try it if you want to, but by all means watch it.  It'll sneak up on you in no time and knock your tallywhacker in the dirt.  Best if you stick with Jinro (there is a frog on the label) and stay away from Bobae.  Bobae tends to have a little more sting.  Don't drink any of it straight.  Mix it with Sprite.  It is actually pretty good.............but it'll getcha.
You should be able to pick up some new riding leathers pretty cheap while there.  They're pretty good with leather, which is why I suggested Itaewon.  Songtan is another good shopping district.  Also, if you do make it to either of those places, bring a picture of Elvis and LD.  There are artists there that will paint a damn near lifelike portrait of your scoots with oil paint on canvas, framed.  they'll even pack it for you so you can send it home.  The greatest thing about shopping over there is the haggling over price.  You can do well if you can haggle.

Thanks for the clarification on the bikes..my experience in this field in Korea is fairly narrow... but still...  wouldnt risk either of your bikes over there... REGGAB is right about the leathers...  Highway Leather outside Osan AB is the best bikler leather dude i have ever met...  he can make anything you want in the best quality....
Soju?  uggggh  better you than me..but im a beer guy.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:17:01 AM »

WOW ... sounds like it would be awsome to spend about 3 weeks there.  Brian, I hope you have a laptop and they have wireless internet so we can hear (and see via pictures) about your adventures while you're there.   :2vrolijk_21:

Nancy

Don't forget BB is a very photo challenged guy!

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 09:51:16 AM »

Spent three years of my life there BB; whatever you need to know, I can hook you up, but..........I don't know anything about Pusan, because that was down south, and I was a 2ID Soldier up north on the DMZ.  Koreans tend to be very pushy when getting on buses.  They cut right in front of you and not think anything of it.  Trains and buses are the best way to get around.  If you happen to find yourself up north, go to Chuncheon.  Have meal on Takalbi Road.  It is a chicken dish with rice noodles, potatoes, cabbage, and it is cooked on the table in front of you.  Contrary to popular belief, kimchi is delicious, and don't worry about being fed dog.  You gotta ask for it, and it isn't too popular in most metropolitan areas.  You'll probably fly into Incheon.  Great airport.  Try to get by Itaewon and do some shopping for the family.  There is a Harley shop in Songtan near Osan AB.  You could ship Elvis or LD over there.  I saw plenty of people do that during all three of my tours.  Beautiful riding over there.........just mind your situational awareness, because the Koreans drive "differently."  Two speeds, stop and 70 mph, and the horn is a force field.  They think nothing of a little tap on the bumper.......or a big one for that matter.  They simply smile, wave, and keep on going.
I love the place.  I'd give anything to be in your shoes...........except Thumper would stay right here at home.

Me too, 3-years in Korea stationed in the DMZ with the 2nd Infantry Division (2ID).
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:09:18 PM »

Thanks for the info so far. Has anyone heard of know where STX Shipbuilding is located. I Googled it and didn't find a location. My issues at the moment have to do with how well I can handle the living situation. No plans to sell the house here and my wife would most likely fly back and forth once a month. Major career move if it happens and money will not be an issue. I'm just trying to get a picture of what my off work hours would be like. Shipyards are shipyards are shipyards. I've lost count of the ones I've seen and the countries I've seen them in so work is not a concern. Going crazy when I'm not sleeping or working is. There's more to life than money.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:49:41 PM »

Thanks for the info so far. Has anyone heard of know where STX Shipbuilding is located. I Googled it and didn't find a location. My issues at the moment have to do with how well I can handle the living situation. No plans to sell the house here and my wife would most likely fly back and forth once a month. Major career move if it happens and money will not be an issue. I'm just trying to get a picture of what my off work hours would be like. Shipyards are shipyards are shipyards. I've lost count of the ones I've seen and the countries I've seen them in so work is not a concern. Going crazy when I'm not sleeping or working is. There's more to life than money.

Just as I thought, BB.  It is in Pusan, but they also have an office in Seoul, which probably handles the business end.  One thing you'll learn about Hangul (the Korean language) is when translated to English, the spelling becomes phonetic.  For instance, Pusan will be spelled as I've spelled it, yet it will also appear as Busan.  Kimpo will be be spelled as I've spelled it, but also as Gimpo.  Peongtaek/Peongtaeg.  Important for you to realize the phonetic translation when trying to navigate the penninsula by whatever means.  Buses uses both spellings, and on occasions, I've seen road signs differ.  Anyway, Pusan is located on the southeastern end of the penninsula.  Seoul is located much further north, and well within artillery range of North Korea.  About the living situation, I'd be happy to discuss specific concerns with you if you'll provide me with a list of those concerns.  You can expect western style accomodations with a Korean flare.  They do have some very nice housing over there, but it is very cramped........and when I say that, try to picture your neighbors balcony hanging over what little backyard you may have.  Most people live in high rise apartment buildings.  Cooking is done on propane stoves, so you'll have to either get your own cylinders, or arrange to have them delivered.  Heating is done under the floor using heated water through pipes (system is known as Andol) and the water is heated by burning yonton briquets or heating oil.  You'll see plenty of spent yontons on the roadside.  Hot water is not on demand necessarily.  You have to plan ahead.  If you want to take a shower, you'll have to turn on your hot water heater about 30 minutes ahead of time to get the water hot.........depending on your heating system:  yonton or heating oil.  I always bought my food at a military commisary, so I'm not too sharp on the grocery situation.  I have been in Korean grocery stores, and they do seem pretty well stocked.  They carry American meats, but it has been vacuum packed and frozen.  The air quality in big cities sucks.  That's all I got to say about that.  There is plenty to do over there, but alot depends on how willing you are to accept a very different style of life.  It is very rushed and hurried.  Koreans tend to buy things, use them up, and throw them away, and that includes vehicles..........and since they all live that way, they don't respect other people's stuff, and that would include your's...........so leave Elvis and LD back here at home.

Shoot me a PM if you have specific concerns.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »

...........so leave Elvis and LD back here at home.

BB

Now don't feel like your imposing on us but while your away we will keep LD and Elvis warm while your out earning the big bucks!
Nancy has ridden the "King"(me) but she might like to ride Elvis also. ;)
And don't be surprised when you get back if the dragons on LD are facing the right way! :o

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »

my experience was far different than that described in some ways....  

I lived in in apartment in downtown seoul.
( yea, artillery range...a reality but not much of threat..the entire peninsula is within missile range so..get used to it....  the threat is there..but has been forever...  and yes, Busan is a hefty target also...)

I was lucky enough to find a three apartment (older) building with a fenced courtyard.

none of the hotwater issues or propane delivery was an issue...  floor heat was quite nice...  there are places where you can buy meat from NZ and Australia and live very much like an american...

Much of the area around Pusan/Busan is a very pretty area,,,  the city itself is an ugly ass port city.

I am quite certain that your company will have a smart homefinder who caters to western desires on retainer.

there is some pretty riding along the coast...but its kind of small.....  you will feel cooped up riding there....  a couple hunnerd miles will be about it

it would be an adventure....  no question....and you could do it without much pain., and you will be very short flights away from all kinds of cool places that you can visit.

there is a fairly  large US military presence in the south so, if you crave america you can partner up some GI and be able to visit the movies and restaurants on base and such.....  it is a nice diversion sometimes

same here Brian, whatever i can do to help

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 10:37:38 PM »

1 funny annoyance....

cash is king

and the largest bill they make is 10,000 won  ( about 4.50 Us at the time) 

my rent was 2.75 million won  a month or something

so my rent was like 4 inches of won

what a pain in the ass

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 10:43:47 PM »

Lets say for the sake of argument that money was not an issue on living expenses and travel. What's available on the high end side of the equation ?

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »

you can live like a king....  probably a stand alone house somewhere ( near pusan anyway, seoul..not so much)...
or one hell of a nice apartment, well furnished and very modern
very fancy car, maybe  a driver

maids are easy

excellent electonics in the home

first class international travel to exotic destinations

buy a nice Road King or something in seoul 

zat help?

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.