Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality....ala cart bike  (Read 1575 times)

mfgreen

Quality....ala cart bike
« on: January 09, 2005, 12:48:38 PM »

in another thread (http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_gen;action=display;num=1105212806;start=11#11 )   reo states,"I agree with MFG in the ala cart bike he mentioned but I would think it could be very real if they followed the process that Paccar (Kenworth/Peterbilt) use in setting up orders processed to the factory.  

That would be the one change I would like HD to implement is in their ordering process."

This brings up a great point.  How other corporations are handling suppliers.  If you look at Paccar supplier requirements you will see that what is being received by the CVO owners is maybe not at this level. http://www.paccar.com/corp/purchasing/QualCert.asp  
As you can see from the requirements, versus the issues that have been raised throughout various threads, the MoCo is operating with a much more liberal ratio of non-conforming parts.  I am not complaining, just taking notice of this and wondering why.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Quality....ala cart bike
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 01:12:31 PM »

I am not complaining, just taking notice of this and wondering why.

MFG, unfortunately I think the answer to that question is "us."  

We've proved to be a very brand loyal group.  We put up with issues of support, maintenance hassle (or even arrogance), certain types of reliability issues, and the company staying behind the technology curve just a bit in some areas simply because we like the bikes so much.  

The motor company knows this and, well, quite frankly, they take advantage of that fact a little bit.  Of course that's not all their fault.  After all, we let them do it and tell them it's ok every time our next bike is another Harley Davidson motorcycle.

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:28:02 PM »

MFG, unfortunately I think the answer to that question is "us."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 03:18:07 PM by mfgreen »

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 04:42:53 PM »

You guys may be correct in you analysis of the customers carrying the HD brand. From a quality standpoint, I for one think we accept the product because its the best show in town to this point.

Getting to the reality (in my opinion) of why HD won't implement an ordering process like Pacar. They have it too good and they really can't jepordize the proffit margin that the dealer chain is almost guaranteed in selling upgrades to owners that want to personalize their bikes.

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 05:04:02 PM »

You guys may be correct in you analysis of the customers carrying the HD brand. From a quality standpoint, I for one think we accept the product because its the best show in town to this point.

Getting to the reality (in my opinion) of why HD won't implement an ordering process like Pacar. They have it too good and they really can't jepordize the proffit margin that the dealer chain is almost guaranteed in selling upgrades to owners that want to personalize their bikes.

REO,
You Really think that by having an ala carte bike that profits would be jeopardized?

Remember of course that what we initially purchase from the dealer and ultimately the MoCo is a platform for personalization.   The initial product that we bring home and ride should fit us like a glove .... not an off the rack cheap suit.  We all have different riding styles and likes and dislikes in what we ride.   I think that this involves corporate responsibility to the consumer, the environment, mental health community and the bottom line.  Here is what I mean.

Responsibility to the consumer in the sense that it will further brand loyalty by providing what the consumer wants as a starting place.  We all make miostakes on what we think we want or would like on the ride and will continue to do so.  This means that they will be selling higher ticket components from the get go.

The responsibility to the environment is less energy in making parts that we did not want or think that we wanted.  Less landfill.

Corporate responsibility to the mental health community means we won't go nuts trying to endure the wait for parts and our local dealerships won't go nuts trying to figure out what parts the CVO guys and gals want because they claim not to have the catalog or part numbers.

How does this contribute to the bottom line?  Satisfied customers always contribute to the bottom line.  They purchase more and more often.  The other bikes out there would not have a chance.  Bigger market share.

Mike

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 06:14:31 PM »

REO,
You Really think that by having an ala carte bike that profits would be jeopardized?

Yes

I do agree if HD would use a custom order to build process, utilizing the vender chain to build what the customer wanted, the profits could be improved on their end. I even believe with the technology that is present today the price of the bike could even be lowered. I believe HD builds their product much like Chevrolet does in focusing on a volume target getting the efficiency up to maximize their profits. Then the icing on the cake for them is selling the parts to customers that want to personalize their bikes.

What I was talking about is deferring profits at the expense of the dealer chain. HD relies on us and the dealer chain to carry sales of their product. If you could buy lets say a bike that was 95% what you wanted, how would the dealer sell the pipes, seats, wheels, sissy bars, bags, windshields, etc. Like any dealer, they reley on upgrades and parts sales. There

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »

Yes

I do agree if HD would use a custom order to build process, utilizing the vender chain to build what the customer wanted, the profits could be improved on their end. I even believe with the technology that is present today the price of the bike could even be lowered. I believe HD builds their product much like Chevrolet does in focusing on a volume target getting the efficiency up to maximize their profits. Then the icing on the cake for them is selling the parts to customers that want to personalize their bikes.

What I was talking about is deferring profits at the expense of the dealer chain. HD relies on us and the dealer chain to carry sales of their product. If you could buy lets say a bike that was 95% what you wanted, how would the dealer sell the pipes, seats, wheels, sissy bars, bags, windshields, etc. Like any dealer, they reley on upgrades and parts sales. There

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 08:36:37 PM »

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »

Very nice observation, the razors we may not be using but the parts are getting bought.

I agree with everything you say Mike, however I don't see Harley Davidson changing its process.

Have faith, brother REO, faith....all change started with a thought and a shared observation.  

I think that where I wanted to take this whole thought process was toward the objective of Harley-Davidson MoCo giving us the selection of how they could profit when the customer wanted to spend the money.

Hypothetically, some one might want the following bike option.

Let's say a bagger that will comfortably accelerate well, stop well, corner well and still look good parked.

Several approaches could be used to gain this bike and achieve the results with existing technology.

Accelerate well.....cubic inches?.....torque?  ........horsepower?  turbo?.....v-rod motor?

Delkron cases and timken roller bearings? Different Heads? Built in Powercommander that doesn't need a reflash?

Stop well?.....Brembo Brake option?.....with ABS?....better brake pad composition?

Of course the tires....a set of Metzeler's?  maybe Pirelli's?   or Michelin's? and as long as we are dealing with geting the bike to stick how about wheels? unsprung weight is important in performance.

Now we are at the suspension.....how about Progressive as a choice?

What about a better swingarm? LIghter? Stiffer?

How about a hydroformed frame?  the technology is being use on a v-rod

What about different front forks?

What about rider comforts?  Adjustable to rider size, weight and physical anomalie...

This would include choices in handlebars, seats, fairings,windshield height adjustments, gauges, lighting front and rear, foot control placement, music, communication and navigation equipment.

The rest of it is what finish do you want where? Chrome?  Paint? Anodized? Powder Coated?

These things are all within the realms of possible and profitable.  

It's just a matter of what you want to ride.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 09:47:34 PM by mfgreen »

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.