Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Exhaust Question, what's best?  (Read 5208 times)

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
Exhaust Question, what's best?
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:56:54 PM »

Hiya gang!

I finally have the "go ahead" from my better half to get exhaust done, my question is-what is the best bang for the buck for a Dyna Screaming Eagle 110ci engine? It seems the choices are somewhat limited, I am trying to get increased performance and that awesome Harley sound that is so sadly missing with the stock exhaust. Vance & hines offers a Big Shots Staggered w/Power Chamber, anyone have experience or feedback? The bike has been running pretty good, and has only had factory missed items repaired, such as the loose triple tree preload, loose gas tank retainer nuts, defective front tire valve stem...overheating due to too lean a mixture (fixed w/ harley race tuner & mobil1). How is everyone else fairing?

Best of luck to all,
Mitch
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Rhino

Re: Exhaust Question, what's best?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »

Hello FlynDyna,

If I may add to your decision making, when you add pipes, you alter the flow of the exhaust rate, and tend to change the air and fuel ratios above what the Harley Electronic control module is designed for. What will happen is that you will run a bit hotter than yu are, and it will not be comfy.  The dealers usually recommend the addition of a race tuner, whcih frankly, allows one to add a different mapping for the engine, allowing it to add a bit more fuel. But the results, closer to what you are trying to acheive, can only be had with the race tuner, and then tweaked with a dyno run. 

I have been down this road so many times I cant count, but after it is all over and dun, I did not like the Race Tuner, becasue I could not find anyone competent to tune it to my satisfaction, outside the Harley parameters of what they thought was appropriate.   In any event, if your pipes are added, then a aircleaner is added, a natural for more intake flow, then make sure you understand the ramifications of those changes.

I am biased, and so are others, but in the long run, I wanted something that would allow further changes without complications, therefore I chose the Thundermax.  There are others, the PowerCaommnder, the FuelPak etc, but I like the high priced spread for longevity and upgrade features.

Hope this helps(athundermaxfanforquiteawhilenow)

Hiya gang!

I finally have the "go ahead" from my better half to get exhaust done, my question is-what is the best bang for the buck for a Dyna Screaming Eagle 110ci engine? It seems the choices are somewhat limited, I am trying to get increased performance and that awesome Harley sound that is so sadly missing with the stock exhaust. Vance & hines offers a Big Shots Staggered w/Power Chamber, anyone have experience or feedback? The bike has been running pretty good, and has only had factory missed items repaired, such as the loose triple tree preload, loose gas tank retainer nuts, defective front tire valve stem...overheating due to too lean a mixture (fixed w/ harley race tuner & mobil1). How is everyone else fairing?

Best of luck to all,
Mitch

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »

Hello FlynDyna,

If I may add to your decision making, when you add pipes, you alter the flow of the exhaust rate, and tend to change the air and fuel ratios above what the Harley Electronic control module is designed for. What will happen is that you will run a bit hotter than yu are, and it will not be comfy.  The dealers usually recommend the addition of a race tuner, whcih frankly, allows one to add a different mapping for the engine, allowing it to add a bit more fuel. But the results, closer to what you are trying to acheive, can only be had with the race tuner, and then tweaked with a dyno run. 

I have been down this road so many times I cant count, but after it is all over and dun, I did not like the Race Tuner, becasue I could not find anyone competent to tune it to my satisfaction, outside the Harley parameters of what they thought was appropriate.   In any event, if your pipes are added, then a aircleaner is added, a natural for more intake flow, then make sure you understand the ramifications of those changes.

I am biased, and so are others, but in the long run, I wanted something that would allow further changes without complications, therefore I chose the Thundermax.  There are others, the PowerCaommnder, the FuelPak etc, but I like the high priced spread for longevity and upgrade features.

Hope this helps(athundermaxfanforquiteawhilenow)

he already has a SERT, so all he needs to do is load an approiate MAP for the new exhaust.
but I DO agree with you on the Tmax, I had a SERT on my '06 Deuce and had it dialed in pretty good, but the Tmax worked so much better!
I removed the Tmax from the Deuce and installed it on my FXSTSSE as soon as I got it home!
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:19:42 AM »

Go to the D and D Exhaust website and check out the staggered duals. I believe you can listen to a sound bite of the pipes. D and D is a top shelf Company http://www.danddexhaust.com/company.htm

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »

Thanks for the input guys! I am getting the K&N air filter for it as well, dealer tells me the bike comes with K&N, but I have a paper element in mine, high flow, but still paper. did anyone get the K&N with their bike? (Like Harley would include ANY thing!!!)

Ride On!
Mitch

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 01:14:05 PM »

It depends on what you want as far as looks and performance, a 2:1 will give you better all around performance, but you might not like that style. It depends where you main priority is, a certain look, or mainly performance. Hoist is doing a lot of exhaust testing right now, might want his input on what he has found.

I think the V&H big radius 2:1 look cool on your bike, not sure on the performance numbers though. Others here have them on their bikes, these are on a softail, but they make them for the dyna too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:19:34 PM by Talon »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »

Thanks for the input guys! I am getting the K&N air filter for it as well, dealer tells me the bike comes with K&N, but I have a paper element in mine, high flow, but still paper. did anyone get the K&N with their bike? (Like Harley would include ANY thing!!!)

Ride On!
Mitch

Hate to say it, but since most people don't know all the ins and outs of HD, or go out of their way to keep up with the latest and greatest, these dealers think they can say anything! No, the SE filter is not a K&N. It used to be, but now it's junk! Just order a K&N HD-0800 for it. Everytime your dealer tells you something incorrect, make sure you correct him. Thay need to know that you know your bike well. They'll stop BS'ing you and save it for the next sucker that doesn't have a clue! If you need to know about something, there's no better resource than this site! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »

For looks, I really like the V&H Big Radius 2/1 on either the Dyna or the Fat Boy...love the way it curves downward!!  If you want to keep the staggered look, there are several options.

As has been said, you do NOT have a K&N filter on the bike...it's a POS paper filter that will fall apart in short order.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Stratus

• Go fast or dont go.
  • www.lakecharlespilots.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »

Here is another option....

My Gallery:cucumber:
2006 FLSTFSE2 Autumn Haze
131 R&R Motor w/Billet oval heads w/comp release
HP 151.5/TQ 163
Horsepower Inc. 58mm Throttlebody
Speed's High Velocity Air Cleaner
Static Compression Ratio 10.8:1
S&S Crankshaft
Camshaft S&S 640
SERT
Rivera pro clutch
8mm hypo wires
R&B Racing LSR 2-1 Pro Stock 124 2" primaries C style 17" collector
Brembo Calipers/Rotors Front and Rear

Stratus

• Go fast or dont go.
  • www.lakecharlespilots.com
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »

it is the best pipe ive ever owned. a wee bit loud but it is awesome. the welds are tight, chrome was excellent and the performance speaks for itself. im not sure how it would do on a stock motor tho. i have 2"primaries on mine, for smaller inch motors they do 1.75 inch.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsrprostock.htm

My Gallery:cucumber:
2006 FLSTFSE2 Autumn Haze
131 R&R Motor w/Billet oval heads w/comp release
HP 151.5/TQ 163
Horsepower Inc. 58mm Throttlebody
Speed's High Velocity Air Cleaner
Static Compression Ratio 10.8:1
S&S Crankshaft
Camshaft S&S 640
SERT
Rivera pro clutch
8mm hypo wires
R&B Racing LSR 2-1 Pro Stock 124 2" primaries C style 17" collector
Brembo Calipers/Rotors Front and Rear

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:57:33 PM »

Flyn first congrats on the new ride and welcome I am also still pretty new to this forum and still cant believe the wealth of knowledge here. Good luck and have fun picking out your new exhaust. Oh and I love my Rinehart 2 into 1 great perf. and love the sound.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 07:41:01 AM »

cant beat the fatcat for power. get the quiet baffle for greater torque.

rineharts road rage is another great pipe.

big radius 2-1 is leaving high rpm power on the table, otherwise its ok.

rb is great top end pipe, pretty good bottom end. lsr is loud, black hole is quiet and torquier on the bottom and mid.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 10:46:06 AM »

Gentlemen,

After checking all these awesome exhaust systems out "up close and personal" by going around to numerous dealerships, bike shows, etc. I got the Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggered Power Chamber Loud A$$...they are incredible! It really opened up the torque, as well as adding some hp. It also give a much more open look to the back end of the bike, showing off the rear wheel (and allowing easier cleaning). I hate to admit it, but when I go by someone driving obliviously with the cell phone stuck to their ear, I give 'em a little  :jalapeno: wake up...DOH! Thanks again for all the fantastic input, and looking forward to riding with you guys at some point in time...

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »

cant beat the fatcat for power. get the quiet baffle for greater torque.

rineharts road rage is another great pipe.

big radius 2-1 is leaving high rpm power on the table, otherwise its ok.

rb is great top end pipe, pretty good bottom end. lsr is loud, black hole is quiet and torquier on the bottom and mid.

I was very skeptical of the BR 2:1 in the looks department but was convinced to give it a try.  My bike turned heads before but now when they see it they drool too.  The sound is awesome and because of the rumble and bark I have named my bike Blue Thunder.  Here is a pic and not to refute what Red says but my dyno curve is straight and flat up to the 110 mark for TQ and 96 for HP...not the best numbers but sure straightens my arms from 1500 all the way through to 6200.  I think I could get a better tune and may try in the future, but love the pipes.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

Gentlemen,

After checking all these awesome exhaust systems out "up close and personal" by going around to numerous dealerships, bike shows, etc. I got the Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggered Power Chamber Loud A$$...they are incredible! It really opened up the torque, as well as adding some hp. It also give a much more open look to the back end of the bike, showing off the rear wheel (and allowing easier cleaning). I hate to admit it, but when I go by someone driving obliviously with the cell phone stuck to their ear, I give 'em a little  :jalapeno: wake up...DOH! Thanks again for all the fantastic input, and looking forward to riding with you guys at some point in time...

FLYNDYNA,

I have never had a dyna, but about everything else.  Vance & Hines is a good choice.  When I buy pipes, I not only want looks and performance, I want them to last.  I have had great luck with V&H.  Don't know if you have had your bike dyno tuned yet, but if you have not, get a Power Commander or TMax and spend the $money$ for the dyno tune.  Find a good tuner and you will be happy that you spent the $$.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.