Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rinehart baffles question  (Read 7927 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Rinehart baffles question
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 09:57:31 PM »

Don read my fingers DON"T BUY THE QUITE BAFFLES.....They SUCK

The Rineharts are GREAT and I still like them and still debating on putting them back on my bike... Just a little loud for me.
All I saying is DON'T buy the quiet baffle,  Sound Sucks.

~mike~

I'm hearing you Mike.  Would they suck too bad to only use for a week or so at a time (or maybe two weeks) two or three times a year when the trailer is behind me?  Rest of the "normal" time use the standard baffles?

That's the idea that's in my head anyway.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »

I'm hearing you Mike.  Would they suck too bad to only use for a week or so at a time (or maybe two weeks) two or three times a year when the trailer is behind me?  Rest of the "normal" time use the standard baffles?

That's the idea that's in my head anyway.

Your just like my 19 year old, HARD HEADED,  and yes they would suck too bad... ;D ;D

I really don't think you will like the sound as its more a higher pitch and still as far as the loudness is about the same just changes tone/pitch.
  :)

Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:14 PM »

Your just like my 19 year old, HARD HEADED,  and yes they would suck too bad... ;D ;D

I really don't think you will like the sound as its more a higher pitch and still as far as the loudness is about the same just changes tone/pitch.
  :)

Dammit  :huepfenlol2: .

Ok, now have one "about the same" with just differences in pitch or tone rather than overall volume. 

Two that have suggested some level tinny, cheap or otherwise poor quality sound with the quiet baffle.

And one that seemed to suggest an actual lowering of the sound level across the RPM range.

Oy vey....   What's a guy to do.  Maybe Brad will let me experiment cheap.  Sure don't want to be a fool in Bubba's eyes though.  He'll tell Mrs. Bubba and I'm afraid of that little woman.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 10:17:36 PM »

Dammit  :huepfenlol2: .

Ok, now have one "about the same" with just differences in pitch or tone rather than overall volume. 

Two that have suggested some level tinny, cheap or otherwise poor quality sound with the quiet baffle.

And one that seemed to suggest an actual lowering of the sound level across the RPM range.

Oy vey....   What's a guy to do.  Maybe Brad will let me experiment cheap.  Sure don't want to be a fool in Bubba's eyes though.  He'll tell Mrs. Bubba and I'm afraid of that little woman.

:nervous: Me TOO! :nervous:  ::)
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:36 PM »

:nervous: Me TOO! :nervous:  ::)

Hey, maybe she needs a quiet baffle  ??? ?

(no no no no no no no, I did not really say that.....)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 08:54:40 AM »

Thanks.  That's a description with enough shared references to be completely understandable  :2vrolijk_21: .

Did you notice the tinny sound that Brad mentioned? Just wondering if that's a general issue or a specific one Brad had to suffer with.

From what you've described here I think I'd like to give them a shot though.

Brad, PM a price and we'll see if I'm as convinced to guinea pig this project for myself as I think I am.

No, I did not.  I put them on the bike hoping to quiet it down - it did.  Have found from experience that pipes are

VERY subjective (like tuning type).  I have not put the stock baffles back in - still very pleased with the 'quiet'

baffles.

I tried wrapping the stock baffles with fiberglass first.  That was a waste of time.

Interesting info on pipes while pulling a trailer.  Never had a trailer but ride with friends who have them. 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »

Don, I had RH on my RK,  I too did a stupid thing and bought the $99.00 "quite" baffle, SAVE YOUR MONEY Don't do it......
   :2vrolijk_21: I AGREE WITH BUBBA !

Tried all three versions of the baffles, primary reason was to experiment with the sound of each and get it where I wanted it. The quiet version had the worst sound of the three and I've stayed with the performance baffles, I mean that's why we use OTS (other than stock) in the first place right? My dyno numbers were great, but did not do three dyno runs to validate the different baffles effects, if any, just too damn expensive to satisfy that interest. IMHO.

I use ear plugs a lot when riding on the longer runs, mostly to get rid of the wind noise and back seat safety advisor feedback  :2vrolijk_21:, and it does help with the exhaust noise no doubt. But of course on the SERK I'm not worried about all the accessories interfering with the riding experience.  :bananarock:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 10:04:13 PM »

Don,

Here's another option/opinion from the prairie lands....I'm a real fan of the Freedom True Duals (the original duals/not the new double barreled muffed version).  The sound is nice at idle, mellow on cruising and will make old ladies soil their undies when you crack the throttle.  They look similar to the Rineharts and are made by Bub Ent. and thats about where the similarities end.  The fit & finish is a little nicer than the RH...in my opinion....based on a side-by-side comparison.  The sound is not as harsh as the RH...best description I can come up with on that.  I have gotten lots of questions/positive comments since I've had them on.  They are still available from Freedom Cycle on a limited basis. 

Another alternative, regardless of whatever pipes/baffles you end up going with...maybe consider just swapping out the end caps for turn outs/turn downs or the eagle beak style to diffuse the sound waves from centering on the trailer.   Just a thought....you could easily swap back & forth depending upon the "look" you're going for.  Or find a machinist in your area to make up a custom "two-laner" design?

Later.....ez.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »

Don,

Here's another option/opinion from the prairie lands....I'm a real fan of the Freedom True Duals (the original duals/not the new double barreled muffed version).  The sound is nice at idle, mellow on cruising and will make old ladies soil their undies when you crack the throttle.  They look similar to the Rineharts and are made by Bub Ent. and thats about where the similarities end.  The fit & finish is a little nicer than the RH...in my opinion....based on a side-by-side comparison.  The sound is not as harsh as the RH...best description I can come up with on that.  I have gotten lots of questions/positive comments since I've had them on.  They are still available from Freedom Cycle on a limited basis. 

Another alternative, regardless of whatever pipes/baffles you end up going with...maybe consider just swapping out the end caps for turn outs/turn downs or the eagle beak style to diffuse the sound waves from centering on the trailer.   Just a thought....you could easily swap back & forth depending upon the "look" you're going for.  Or find a machinist in your area to make up a custom "two-laner" design?

Later.....ez.

Thanks EZ.  A different set of end caps was a Plan B idea I was still bouncing around also.  I've never been a real fan of the standard Rinehart end caps to begin with.  Their somewhat common discoloring issues makes me even less concerned with using them. 

I didn't find any turn outs or turn downs on the shelf anyplace.  Did find a set of billet ball milled caps that I like and am using for "normal" riding.  Hadn't looked enough to if I'd exhausted options for anything else though.  Definitely a notion worth pursuing though.

When the trailer is behind it's not even that it's unbearably loud.  Just that it is definitely noticably louder.  And the gain is very much with a reverb/rebound effect to it.  So if I can find an easy or manageable alternative for trailer use I'd give it a try.  If not, however, it's not a deal breaker or a heart wrencher.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:11 AM »

Don...Eastern Performance offers a set of slash cut billet end caps for the RH's that look very much like the Billet end caps we used to see on the SE 98 version of the SE Performance slip-ons like I had on my bike to begin with.  I am thinking seriously about them if/when mine turn purple again.  Just that slight bit of direction towards the ground makes more difference thant one would think, and pulling the trailer, it would likely be even more of a difference over the straight version.  They are not inexpensive, but I've seen the billet grooved version of their caps and they are quality pieces.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 12:15:23 AM »

Nothing barks louder against the trailer than a thunder header but Mrs Rooster loves it. Of course that was when I pulled it with the old wide glide. I think it is time to quiet it down a little now adays.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 06:37:40 AM »

My purple rinehart caps complement the purple color in the tank emblem!

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 10:21:44 AM »

Don...Eastern Performance offers a set of slash cut billet end caps for the RH's that look very much like the Billet end caps we used to see on the SE 98 version of the SE Performance slip-ons like I had on my bike to begin with.  I am thinking seriously about them if/when mine turn purple again.  Just that slight bit of direction towards the ground makes more difference thant one would think, and pulling the trailer, it would likely be even more of a difference over the straight version.  They are not inexpensive, but I've seen the billet grooved version of their caps and they are quality pieces.

Must have missed their turn outs.  It was their ball milled (grooved) caps that I ended up using.  I personally prefer the shape of an oval muffler.  With round ones I like this kind of cap though.  Couldn't get my old White Brothers mufflers anymore though.  The pipe's heat shields on my bike were not in great shape anymore and the mufflers were surprisingly dinged up.  So it had become time to make a change.  Even with the compromise made to have them I'll always do true duals.  So the Rineharts ended up seeming the best option of what was available.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:42 AM »

Must have missed their turn outs.  It was their ball milled (grooved) caps that I ended up using.  I personally prefer the shape of an oval muffler.  With round ones I like this kind of cap though.  Couldn't get my old White Brothers mufflers anymore though.  The pipe's heat shields on my bike were not in great shape anymore and the mufflers were surprisingly dinged up.  So it had become time to make a change.  Even with the compromise made to have them I'll always do true duals.  So the Rineharts ended up seeming the best option of what was available.

Very nice...Tbone has those on one of his many bikes with RH's  ;)  Well made pieces...they make a black powdercoated version as well that I have considered.  On my bike, the black kind of ties the rear end up a bit.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »

Very nice...Tbone has those on one of his many bikes with RH's  ;)  Well made pieces...they make a black powdercoated version as well that I have considered.  On my bike, the black kind of ties the rear end up a bit.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how well made these seemed.  Looked them over closely before installation.  Really (really really) nice machining, very good tolerances for the installation, and beautiful chrome.  I had a credit with them to cover more than half the cost so it "felt" better too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.545 seconds with 21 queries.