Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hard to understand  (Read 2876 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Hard to understand
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:57:47 PM »

REGGAB

Re: Hard to understand
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »

http://www.ohio.com/news/9546357.html

Yeah, I'll say.  Hard to analyze with the information given, but........in Alabama, if you hit someone from behind, you're at fault.  Period.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »

Tragic! But why had he stopped on the road? john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:16:10 PM »

Yeah, I'll say.  Hard to analyze with the information given, but........in Alabama, if you hit someone from behind, you're at fault.  Period.

Will let Scot or someone else suggest who and why citations might or might not be given.  That aside though; why the hell do you just stop in the middle of the damned road?  It it broke coast to the shoulder.  If it can't then get off and leave it be.  If you dropped something THAT important then pull over, look for cars, and then go out and get it.  Stopping in traffic just to screw with something on the bike or pick something up is like combining a stupid sign and a bullseye and painting them on your back.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:23:47 PM »

Will let Scot or someone else suggest who and why citations might or might not be given.  That aside though; why the hell do you just stop in the middle of the damned road?  It it broke coast to the shoulder.  If it can't then get off and leave it be.  If you dropped something THAT important then pull over, look for cars, and then go out and get it.  Stopping in traffic just to screw with something on the bike or pick something up is like combining a stupid sign and a bullseye and painting them on your back.
not a lot of details here so , not sure what the hell happened...very sad in any case

as for citations not being issued right away, thats fairly common in a fatal, they will reveiw the case with the DA to determine the appropriate charges.  then charge whomever they need to later if necessary. 

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »

Amen! :nixweiss:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

A life appears to be lost and with that being stated, I pray for all that are effected.

GOD Speed.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

I hate what happened, but stopping in the fast lane of a highway to pick something up is not exactly being bright.  -Maybe it was important though.  -I always stop to pick up a penny!   :jalapeno:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »

These are some very obvious statements.  At this point, no one knows why the rider stopped "in the middle of the damned road."  That begs another question:  How on earth did the Toyota driver just hit the bike?  That's my concern at this point............stopping "in the middle of the damned road" be damned!  One can only speculate from that which is written, but I can't for the life of me understand how the Toyota just hit the bike, unless the cager was following too close, or was distracted..............or God forbid did it out of malice.  Again, the woulda, shoulda, coulda courses of action which the biker might have taken are obvious........as is the one written fact that he chose to stay in the path of travel, which is also puzzling.  But more puzzling is how/why did the cager hit them?  Two completely different issues to examine here.

All the more reason to be ever vigilant of the cager.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 10:59:18 PM »

These are some very obvious statements.  At this point, no one knows why the rider stopped "in the middle of the damned road."  That begs another question:  How on earth did the Toyota driver just hit the bike?  That's my concern at this point............stopping "in the middle of the damned road" be damned!  One can only speculate from that which is written, but I can't for the life of me understand how the Toyota just hit the bike, unless the cager was following too close, or was distracted..............or God forbid did it out of malice.  Again, the woulda, shoulda, coulda courses of action which the biker might have taken are obvious........as is the one written fact that he chose to stay in the path of travel, which is also puzzling.  But more puzzling is how/why did the cager hit them?  Two completely different issues to examine here.

All the more reason to be ever vigilant of the cager.

Completely agree Henry.  But if the rider hadn't stopped in the middle of the highway (for whatever reason) it almost wouldn't have mattered how stupid or distracted the cage driver was.  He would have just rolled right on by.  They have to watch out for us.  But we can't make ourselves simple targets.  The only safe way to ride is under the assumption that no one watches out for or protects us but us.

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 11:28:56 PM »

Completely agree Henry.  But if the rider hadn't stopped in the middle of the highway (for whatever reason) it almost wouldn't have mattered how stupid or distracted the cage driver was.  He would have just rolled right on by.  They have to watch out for us.  But we can't make ourselves simple targets.  The only safe way to ride is under the assumption that no one watches out for or protects us but us.

Concur with the glowing statement, Don.  I'm certain you caught the last sentence of my previous post.  My philosophy:  I ride like I'm invisible.  That's issue number 1.  The biker in the story didn't.........or couldn't (theorized shortly), and paid with his life as well as the life of his bride.
Issue #2.........Don please forgive me for this blunt statement:  I'm not buying the "if the rider hadn't stopped in the middle of the highway (for whatever reason) it almost wouldn't have mattered how stupid or distracted the cage driver was."  That is so passive, yet blameshifting.  Each time a driver straps a cage to his ass, he is responsible for each and every action he does, or fails/neglects to do.........even if he plows into the ass end of bike which has mysteriously stopped in the middle of the fast lane. 

You know, I can't fathom why a biker would stop in the middle of the fast lane.  Perhaps his scooter locked up, and he couldn't move it or steer it off the road.  Steering with a seized rear tire will cause the bike to lay down.  NOW, I'm REALLY speculating, but it is the only logical thing I can think of.  Moving to the illogical........did the biker have a death wish?  Was he smoking crack?  I dunno.  But, based on the information provided, whatever the reason that he mysteriously stopped in the middle of the fast lane DOES NOT excuse the actions.........or lack thereof...........on the part of the driver of the Toyota.

The preceeding is my HUMBLE OPINION submitted for consideration.  Thanks!   :2vrolijk_21:

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 12:03:51 AM »

When I was reading it I was wondering if he was having a heart attack? But I can't comprehend stopping in the fast lane instead of the shoulder. As for the cager, I can't see him just running into some one unless he was changing lanes into the fast lane or dialing a cell phone. But as Jock stated lives were lost and they can't talk right now. Bless the family that receives the call.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »

Issue #2.........Don please forgive me for this blunt statement:  I'm not buying the "if the rider hadn't stopped in the middle of the highway (for whatever reason) it almost wouldn't have mattered how stupid or distracted the cage driver was."  That is so passive, yet blameshifting.  Each time a driver straps a cage to his ass, he is responsible for each and every action he does, or fails/neglects to do.........even if he plows into the ass end of bike which has mysteriously stopped in the middle of the fast lane. 

Henry, I don't disagree with you at all.  And what I said was laying a lot of blame on the bike.  We don't know what happened.  And I don't place a lot of faith in eyewitness accounts in and of themselves.  Considering those witness reports, however, the bike stopped in the middle of the road, leaned over as if to pick something up, and then a few seconds later got hit.

Perhaps the rider was having medical issues of some kind.  Perhaps leaning over as if to pick something up was instead leaning over because he couldn't stay upright.  It's a tragedy either way.  But if that's the case this is even more so.  The passenger not knowing fully what's going on, paying attention to her spouse, and not even considering yet the vehicle approaching them.

Short of illness or injury though the riders just screwed up.  "A few seconds" is enough time to haul my ass off the bike and get it out of the way.  A few seconds is also enough time for the cage to do some kind of avoidance.  But we all know that something wholly unexpected is simply tougher to avoid.  And someone suddenly and unexpectedly parking in the fast lane would be unexpected.

The cage screwed up.  If there really was a "few seconds" between stop and impact it too had time to stop.  If he was fully tuned in that is.  Trouble is none of us are fully tuned in all the time.  Swapping radio channels, screwing with the phone, just zoning out for a second.  That's why when on the bike we just can't get stupid.  Because someone else always might.  And they're all bigger than we are.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 08:46:26 PM »

I believe it was Tuesday in Memphis almost the exact same accident happened only no motorcycle was involved. A car stalled in the middle lane on I240 and was rear-ended killing all three people in stalled car! I couldn't believe it.

Henry, I always was told when hit from the rear it was always the person behinds fault. If the person wasn't charged as yet could it be possible that maybe he was changing lanes and was obstructed from the vehicle in front of him. Cars are always changing lanes and maybe he did so right at the point of impact on the motorcycle. If that was you or me how could that be your fault? :nixweiss:

May have not been the case here but we don't know for sure.

JR :bananarock:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:48:38 PM by JR »

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »

I believe it was Tuesday in Memphis almost the exact same accident happened only no motorcycle was involved. A car stalled in the middle lane on I240 and was rear-ended killing all three people in stalled car! I couldn't believe it.

Henry, I always was told when hit from the rear it was always the person behinds fault. If the person wasn't charged as yet could it be possible that maybe he was changing lanes and was obstructed from the vehicle in front of him. Cars are always changing lanes and maybe he did so right at the point of impact on the motorcycle. If that was you or me how could that be your fault? :nixweiss:

May have not been the case here but we don't know for sure.

JR :bananarock:

John:
I think I'm missing something here, and since I just finished 5 brutal hours of classroom instruction, my mind aint right, so it is highly likely I'm not getting what you wrote........but from what I can make of it, if the Toyota was obstructed, then he had no business changing lanes in the first place.  My opinion: Toyota driver's fault.

Certainly I'm missing something, John.  Help me understand what you mean.........and be elementary.  Graduate level quantitative analysis (Monte Carlo Simulation and Statistical Process/Quality Control were tonight's topics) REALLY screws me up for awhile.  Thanks.

HML

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 21 queries.