Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheel spin 4th gear, 6000+ mi report.......Jack  (Read 3893 times)

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
Wheel spin 4th gear, 6000+ mi report.......Jack
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »

Last Wednesday @ 4:15 pm, ambient temp 88, engine @240, surface temp probably 100+ and new macadam, speed @55mph, interstate hwy.  With a passing opportunity before me I decided to shift down to 4th and cracked the throttle and felt the familiar vibration coming from the motor and then transfer to the rear wheel.  This was going on @4000 to just over 5000 rpm's.  To my surprise there was no increase in travel speed through the whole transition which was of some concern because of the encroaching traffic, until I hit 5th, and then it spun with a revolution or two of rear wheel till it locked up and launched and returned my confidence in the decision to make this maneuver.

FXSTSSE 740 lbs, me 150 lbs and this bike doesn't even know I'm there !

My analogy, all there was in 4th was wheel spin.

In the beginning of this relationship FXSTSSE & me, third gear in the power band would offer wheel slip whenever I wanted it, to a limited degree.  4th in the power band would make the rear end hop to a lesser degree.

I have found that this bike has only @ 1500 usable rpm's 3rd thru 5th at @ 2200-@3700 depending on the gear before it flattens out, and the torque is scary flat out.  I can advance my position in traffic in only seconds like a time warp.

WARNING: Just outside the center of the rear tire has less road surface and will offer more slip, which is why I believe in this case started the slip and did not let up all thru 4th gear.

Another analogy:  In this forum we have mentioned engine vibration from this bike.  I believe this is due to the "Power to the Pavement Factor" when under load.  We have the only balanced 110(B) engine offered in any of the 2007 SE Classes.  I wouldn't have it any other way, rigid mounted and balanced.  I can feel more of what this bike is made of  and lovin' every second of it.......

Semper Fi,

Jack

PS  Thanks again Skippy....... ("You're going to love this bike" !)  I really do....... :drink: :drink: Jack
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:30:42 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Wheel spin 4th gear, 6000+ mi report.......Jack
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:11:16 PM »

Last Wednesday @ 4:15 pm, ambient temp 88, engine @240, surface temp probably 100+ and new macadam, speed @55mph, interstate hwy.  With a passing opportunity before me I decided to shift down to 4th and cracked the throttle and felt the familiar vibration coming from the motor and then transfer to the rear wheel.  This was going on @4000 to just over 5000 rpm's.  To my suprise there was no increase in travel speed through the whole transition  which was of some concern because of the encroaching traffic, until I hit 5th, and then it spun with a revolution or two of rear wheel till it locked up and launched and returned my confidence in the decision to make this maneuver.

My analogy, all there was in 4th was wheel spin.

In the begining of this relationship FXSTSSE & me, third gear in the power band would offer wheel slip whenever I wanted it, to a limited degree.  4th in the power band would make the rear end hop to a lesser degree.

WARNING: Just outside the center of the rear tire has less road surface and will offer more slip, which is why in this case started the slip and did not let up all thru 4th gear.

Another analogy:  In this forum we have mentioned engine vibration from this bike.  I believe this is due to the "Power to the Pavement Factor" when under load.  We have the only balanced 110(B) engine offered in any of the 2007 SE Classes.  I wouldn't have it any other way, rigid mounted and balanced.  I can feel more of what this bike is made of  and lovin every second of it.......

Semper Fi,

Jack

PS  Thanks again Skippy....... ("You're going to love this bike" !)  I really do....... :drink: :drink: Jack

Sounds more like your clutch is slipping at higher RPM's. That's much more likely than a stock 110 breaking the rear wheel free at 4000 RPM (unless you were on an oil-slicked road). You ain't got that kinda power there Jack! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »

Even though he's probably a Mets fan....I have to agree with Hoist
Go Tribe ! and Go Browns to the Superbowl !!
OK, maybe I got carried away there for a second
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »

Even though he's probably a Mets fan....I have to agree with Hoist
Go Tribe ! and Go Browns to the Superbowl !!
OK, maybe I got carried away there for a second

Got your PM. ;)

I live near Shea, but am a Yankees fan! :o Go Giants! ;D

Oops, we're off topic now! :jack:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:11:14 PM »

Sounds more like your clutch is slipping at higher RPM's. That's much more likely than a stock 110 breaking the rear wheel free at 4000 RPM (unless you were on an oil-slicked road). You ain't got that kinda power there Jack! ;)

Hoist! 8)

agreed, even in second gear. front tire should be coming up.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:31:54 PM »

agreed, even in second gear. front tire should be coming up.

I had the Frontier out the other day.
It's running great!
Not sure about which gear but the front wheel had to be at least 18" off the ground.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

T/C, geat advice about those J&S lifts!
Works great for cleaning the wheels.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »

I had the Frontier out the other day.
It's running great!
Not sure about which gear but the front wheel had to be at least 18" off the ground.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

T/C, geat advice about those J&S lifts!
Works great for cleaning the wheels.

:2vrolijk_21:

with that beast, you can probably fry the tire anytime you want. aint wheelies fun?

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:16:52 PM »

Heck, I had the front end an easy 24 inches off the ground the other day

OK , it was on the Sears Motorcycle Lift getting the wheels cleaned - but that counts !!

A guy at a cruise in on another CVO Springer asked me where I was at--- he said he was at 3..?? I said what did he mean and he laughed and said 3  bottles of Windex so far this summer.
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:52:51 AM »

Gentlemen,

I just had this in for the 5000 mi service and specifically asked to have the clutch checked out, only because there is a little drag at start up when cold.  They checked it out and to them (Zepka HD Johnstown that serviced 600+ bikes in the month of July) it was correct.  I admit that it doesn't mean that its set perfect either. 

I'm at 6700 mi and the shop manual says I need to replace the rear tire because I'm a hair from the tread wear indicators.  I can't imagine I could get to this point from a slipping clutch.

In 3rd gear on a winding, gently undulating back road, this bike will drift at the back wheel, clutch fully engaged just by controlling the throttle while in the power band (rear tire 40 psi).  This is that outside edge of center on the rear tire that I warned about.

Secondly Hoist, why then would this bike launch in 5th gear, and not completely fail more so than in 4th with your analogy ?  Ever walk on freshly paved blacktop and see what's on the bottom of your shoes ?

Lastly, I'm not declaring a bike of unusual potential.  I am writing here that those conditions for that experience which I offered, were the perfect conditions for what happened.

Beerman, I believe I got the same lift you did, and did you get the Craftsman Club discount on top of the sale price ?

Semper Fi, 

Jack
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »

Gentlemen,

I just had this in for the 5000 mi service and specifically asked to have the clutch checked out, only because there is a little drag at start up when cold.  They checked it out and to them (Zepka HD Johnstown that serviced 600+ bikes in the month of July) it was correct.  I admit that it doesn't mean that its set perfect either. 

I'm at 6700 mi and the shop manual says I need to replace the rear tire because I'm a hair from the tread wear indicators.  I can't imagine I could get to this point from a slipping clutch.

In 3rd gear on a winding, gently undulating back road, this bike will drift at the back wheel, clutch fully engaged just by controlling the throttle while in the power band (rear tire 40 psi).  This is that outside edge of center on the rear tire that I warned about.

Secondly Hoist, why then would this bike launch in 5th gear, and not completely fail more so than in 4th with your analogy ?  Ever walk on freshly paved blacktop and see what's on the bottom of your shoes ?

Lastly, I'm not declaring a bike of unusual potential.  I am writing here that those conditions for that experience which I offered, were the perfect conditions for what happened.

Beerman, I believe I got the same lift you did, and did you get the Craftsman Club discount on top of the sale price ?

Semper Fi, 

Jack

yep jack, freshly paved road will certainly be slick!! i experienced the same rear tire drift you speak of, at times it would even hop over about a foot and slide some more. cured that problem with metzelers!!!

as far as tire wear, i go through a set in less than 4000 miles and do not purposely spin very often, abrubt accel, decel is what kills mine. just cant stand having those little titties on new tires-------so gotta rub em off, lol

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »

...To my suprise there was no increase in travel speed through the whole transition which was of some concern because of the encroaching traffic, until I hit 5th, and then it spun with a revolution or two of rear wheel till it locked up and launched and returned my confidence in the decision to make this maneuver...

This seemed a bit suspicious to me as my speedometer gets a reading when I break the back tire loose (like on a holeshot... tire spins up to 40-45, then gets back to reality of 25-30 once it locks up.)
If my scoot acted like what was described, I'd be getting it seriously checked out.

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 08:13:50 AM »

Nice bike WIZGEE, (they are growing on me, paint work & use of chrome)

I will admit that maneuver matured to a "Seat of my Pants" situation and not looking at the tach or the speedo as much as I have would have comfortably preferred, so that situation was from my interpretation from a few glances at those instruments thru the transition. 

But:  1)  I don't do hole shots,  per se,  but can get the front end up easy
                                                              enough.

2) "Travel speed" (eyeballing vehicle to be passed, not speedo)

3)  I have a 200/55 series rear tire,  yours 170/60

4)  Thanks for the input.

Semper Fi,

Jack

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:26:38 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 22 queries.