Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JIMS POWERGLIDE II Tappets or ???  (Read 5780 times)

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
JIMS POWERGLIDE II Tappets or ???
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:49 AM »

I'm in the middle of selecting performance products for my SERG. What's better, Screaming Eagle (Jim's) or S&S's roller tappets? I know Jim's earlier roller tappets failed and was susperseded with the Powerglide II roller tappet. Jim's marketing tool is its the  "Only Oil-Fed Axle, Roller and Cam Assembly". Does this mean that S&S's and all other brands are not oil-fed?

FrankD
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: JIMS POWERGLIDE II Tappets or ???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:32:38 PM »

I'm in the middle of selecting performance products for my SERG. What's better, Screaming Eagle (Jim's) or S&S's roller tappets? I know Jim's earlier roller tappets failed and was susperseded with the Powerglide II roller tappet. Jim's marketing tool is its the  "Only Oil-Fed Axle, Roller and Cam Assembly". Does this mean that S&S's and all other brands are not oil-fed?

FrankD

It is my understanding that H-D no longer sources the Screamin’ Eagle lifters from Jim’s. I believe that currently Jim’s is the only supplier of lifters with an oil fed tappet roller axle.

djkak

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »

Myself i would install stock lifters. We have a 1 gallon zip lock bag full of SE lifters( jims) and jims lifters ( from jims directly) that we have had issues with. The stock lifter will get the job done with up to 190 PSI of seat pressure. Now many of the SE heads have spring psi over 200??? which is really not needed. This is SE deal to work with many cams. So what you get is a one size fits all!!
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »

Have you thought about Fueling? I run the pump and lifters in all of my bikes!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »

I am one of the guys who had the older style JIMS Lifters fail in my JIMs 120, the lifter grenaded and took out the engine.

Just last week JIMs sent me a new JIMs 120 no chrge, due to the recall which I was never advised of. That is great customer service.

The lifters are the new Power Glide II, will keep a close eye on them, engine is in the bke runs, however have to add and change out some of the oil lines.

geezerglide

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

Make sure you drop the oil pan and clean it out. Flushing it will not get it clean enough.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »

Myself i would install stock lifters. We have a 1 gallon zip lock bag full of SE lifters( jims) and jims lifters ( from jims directly) that we have had issues with. The stock lifter will get the job done with up to 190 PSI of seat pressure. Now many of the SE heads have spring psi over 200??? which is really not needed. This is SE deal to work with many cams. So what you get is a one size fits all!!

I also run OE lifters. I had Screamin’ Eagle (Jim’s) tappet roller lock up in my machine last year. I picked up a set of Feuling lifters that rattled like a jackass in a tin barn. After speaking with a wise old gentleman from Statesville, I slipped a set of OEM lifters in my gear driven 113 with 103+ heads. The valve train runs much quieter with the OE lifters although the SE lifters were quiet until the tappet roller locked up.

djkak

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »

Make sure you drop the oil pan and clean it out. Flushing it will not get it clean enough.

If this is for me, the engine is completely new, the oil pan was completely detached and cleaned throughly.

Thanks for the heads up.

geezerglide

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.