Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock exhaust-rusted clamps  (Read 1643 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Stock exhaust-rusted clamps
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »

I'm aware I'm about the only one with stock exhaust but my hose clamps that hold the shields on and the exhaust clamp behind the rear cylinder (that also has a small bracket on it) are rusted bad.  The clamps I have rotated as best possible under the shields to try to hide.  The clamp behind the rear cylinder (visible from the LH side) is what I can't hide.  A chrome cap would almost cover the nut/bolt threads, but it would have to be long.  Any suggestions besides getting an aftermarket exhaust system?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Stock exhaust-rusted clamps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »

Here's one option and I'm sure there will be others . . . . for the clamp behind the rear cylinder, check out Eastwood's hi-temp prodcuts: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=394&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=394  They work great and last a looooong time.  I have a similar situation on the SERG with the clamp that joins the y-pipe to the front header pipe and will be pursuing a similar solution.

On the hose clamps . . . . I'd say just replace 'em.  They're cheeeeeeeeeeeap (as long as you don't get 'em from Harley ;))! :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »

Bob...try to find some high grade stainless clamps for the heat shields, but getting those rusted ones off is probably going to be a PITA.  Liberal doses of WD40 will help some.

Or, just buy Howies V&H's headers/shields and stick your present muffs on them...it's only money and you can make some more... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »

I'm aware I'm about the only one with stock exhaust but my hose clamps that hold the shields on and the exhaust clamp behind the rear cylinder (that also has a small bracket on it) are rusted bad.  The clamps I have rotated as best possible under the shields to try to hide.  The clamp behind the rear cylinder (visible from the LH side) is what I can't hide.  A chrome cap would almost cover the nut/bolt threads, but it would have to be long.  Any suggestions besides getting an aftermarket exhaust system?

Bob,
Let me know if you need heat shield clamps.  I have a full set.

Henry

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »

Brian-
Thanks for the link to the Eastwood products. 

Terry-
I wasn't aware Howie still had the V&H head pipes and that I will have to think about.  Thanks on the tip for the SS clamps.

Henry-
Thanks for the offer on your clamps.

I knew I could count on the site for ideas and now I can decide which way to go.  I'd rather do about anything to the bike than mess with the stock exhaust head pipes/shields.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »

Brian-

Terry-
I wasn't aware Howie still had the V&H head pipes and that I will have to think about.  Thanks on the tip for the SS clamps.

Henry-

I knew I could count on the site for ideas and now I can decide which way to go.  I'd rather do about anything to the bike than mess with the stock exhaust head pipes/shields.

Think of it this way, Bob...you can mess around with the stock heat shields, OR you can yank the whole damn thing off one time, put the V&H headers on, slip your muffs back on, then spend more money on chrome solenoid cover, neutral switch cover, and other assorted chrome trinkets to decorate the hole the cross over pipe is covering up now... ;D ;D ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:05:46 PM »

Brian-

Terry-

Henry-

Just gotta pull 'em off my stock exhaust.  Set is in the attic...............somewhere, and it is now cool enough to venture into that abyss.  They're your's if you want 'em.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:07:10 PM »

Think of it this way, Bob...you can mess around with the stock heat shields, OR you can yank the whole damn thing off one time, put the V&H headers on, slip your muffs back on, then spend more money on chrome solenoid cover, neutral switch cover, and other assorted chrome trinkets to decorate the hole the cross over pipe is covering up now... ;D ;D ;)
If I weren't so tired (lazy) I would go downstairs and get a picture of how all the above OCD would look w/o that crossover pipe. :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 11:09:53 PM »

And that neutral switch is about as ugly as a knot on a dog's di............well.........widgit, yeah, that's it.  Doohicky is electical, thingy is mechanical and widgit is organic, so widgit it is.   ;D

Anyway, once the crossover is gone, that neutral switch jumps right out.  Gotta get a chrome neutral switch cover.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »

If I weren't so tired (lazy) I would go downstairs and get a picture of how all the above OCD would look w/o that crossover pipe. :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

No need to Gary.  Had Rineharts when I got it.  Also saw enough Rineharts in MV to remember how clean that side of the bike looked without the crossover.  Thanks for the offer to post pic..

Henry-
Even with the crossover pipe on and the starter partially hidden, I had to get the chrome cover to hide the ugly neutral switch.  The MOCO put all the other chrome on our bikes but couldn't pony up another couple bucks.  Don't go up to the attic as I will probably get stainless clamps per Terry's suggestion but the offer was(is) still much appreciated. 

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.