Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Exhaust Question: Rinehart or VH  (Read 2412 times)

atlasfields

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2- In red of course!
Another Exhaust Question: Rinehart or VH
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »

I've read as much as I could on two different forums and I've narrowed my search down to two exhaust systems.  V&H Big Radius 2 -1 or the Rinehart 2-1.

The bike is an '08 FXDSE2 and during the exhaust install, a Thundermax and most likely a S&S Single Bore will be done at the same time.

Both systems look good, have a high quality build, but how do they compare sound and performance-wise?

Help!   

ps, if you think there's a 2-1 I missed, by all means chime in. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:45:25 PM by atlasfields »
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely, in a pretty and well perserved body.
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming; "Wow... That was one hell of a ride!" ~ Unknown

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
Re: Another Exhaust Question: Rinehart or VH
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »

I've got Vance&HInes 2-1 on my FXDSE. Had Vance&Hines 2-2 like the 2-1 better. Sound and not on my ear as bad.Only have one good ear and it is right side.

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »

I am using SERT with a lot of changes.  Went to 113ci. CNC Heads, 50mm TB, 264 Cams, Dyno tuning is tomorrow.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »

Have you looked at D&D Fatcat?  It is my understanding that exhaust works very well with TM and TMAT.

atlasfields

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 08:17:48 AM »

Have you looked at D&D Fatcat?  It is my understanding that exhaust works very well with TM and TMAT.

Funny you should mention D&D, I just used the world famous "Search" function, they look like a great set o' pipes.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely, in a pretty and well perserved body.
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming; "Wow... That was one hell of a ride!" ~ Unknown

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »

I had V&H , very good power , great sound , great quality.

In the shootouts I've read however the D&D's come out on top.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:45:48 PM »

So far I've had:
1. D&D Fatcats on an 05 Ultra
2. V&H Big Shot Staggered on an 06 Fatboy
3. Rinehart TDs on my 08 SERK

The D&D's made the most improvement in power and low down torque, and gave off the most heat at low speeds. On warm days, your right leg will slow cook until it's medium-rare! Also, they sound more like a V8 to me than a Harley.

The V&H give the most volume of sound, but tend to get a little boomy and high pitched at higher revs. The Rineharts have the best overall looks and sound, with pretty good performance. I still have the Fatboy, and when I want to go for a gentle cruise with big sound as my music accompaniment, I take this one. You can't go wrong with any, but if I was to choose for your bike, I'd prolly go V&H.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 01:48:52 PM by Quint »
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

atlasfields

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:19:19 AM »

Thanks guys!  It sounds like, no pun intended, the V&H sound the best, but the D&D has an edge in overall performance.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 07:37:53 AM »

So far I've had:
1. D&D Fatcats on an 05 Ultra
2. V&H Big Shot Staggered on an 06 Fatboy
3. Rinehart TDs on my 08 SERK

The D&D's made the most improvement in power and low down torque, and gave off the most heat at low speeds. On warm days, your right leg will slow cook until it's medium-rare! Also, they sound more like a V8 to me than a Harley.

The V&H give the most volume of sound, but tend to get a little boomy and high pitched at higher revs. The Rineharts have the best overall looks and sound, with pretty good performance. I still have the Fatboy, and when I want to go for a gentle cruise with big sound as my music accompaniment, I take this one. You can't go wrong with any, but if I was to choose for your bike, I'd prolly go V&H.  :2vrolijk_21:

on correct builds with proper tuning, heat is a non issue with the fatcat. fit and finish is excellnt and the quiet baffle is very tame at cruise.

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »

on correct builds with proper tuning, heat is a non issue with the fatcat. fit and finish is excellnt and the quiet baffle is very tame at cruise.

That's true, but with the Fatcat, you have two cylinders worth of exhaust pipes exiting on the right hand side, very close to your right leg. I had mine properly tuned with a SERT, but still found on 80+ degree days, the heat was considerable at low speeds. Of course, the V&H both exit on the right side too but it doesn't seem as bad. This could also be due to the fact that I'm comparing a full dresser with all its fairing lowers, etc compared to an open-engined Fatboy.
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 06:08:20 AM »

That's true, but with the Fatcat, you have two cylinders worth of exhaust pipes exiting on the right hand side, very close to your right leg. I had mine properly tuned with a SERT, but still found on 80+ degree days, the heat was considerable at low speeds. Of course, the V&H both exit on the right side too but it doesn't seem as bad. This could also be due to the fact that I'm comparing a full dresser with all its fairing lowers, etc compared to an open-engined Fatboy.

was this with stock heads/cams?

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »

was this with stock heads/cams?

Yep, just a Stage 1 with dyno tune. Still gave off a lot of heat. We were in Sedona in April, and the temps were only low 80s, but anytime we got stuck in traffic, our right legs fried. I loved the Fatcats, and the sound was great, but that was one feature I could live without.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 06:00:54 AM »

Yep, just a Stage 1 with dyno tune. Still gave off a lot of heat. We were in Sedona in April, and the temps were only low 80s, but anytime we got stuck in traffic, our right legs fried. I loved the Fatcats, and the sound was great, but that was one feature I could live without.

note above where i said "with proper build and tune. the stock engine doesnt fall into that category, epa cams build heat.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.