Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 FXSTSSE2 SWINGARM RUBBIN  (Read 2676 times)

springerdude

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange
08 FXSTSSE2 SWINGARM RUBBIN
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

Just picked up my new bike and noticed a noise coming from the rear evertime I went over a bump. Thought it was something loose, checked, nothing loose. So after putting a 100 miles or so the noise was going away. Then after closer inspection noticed paint rubbin off on right side upper swingarm. Something not right with the clearance so I will be bringing back to dealer to see whats up. Other than that I love the bike. Just thought I'd let you know and to see if anyone else had same experience with the 08 SE springer.

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Re: 08 FXSTSSE2 SWINGARM RUBBIN
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »

I had a suspension noise, too, on my '08 Springer.  I couldn't find the source although I checked for something loose.  I'll check it out and let you know.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »

Just picked up my new bike and noticed a noise coming from the rear evertime I went over a bump. Thought it was something loose, checked, nothing loose. So after putting a 100 miles or so the noise was going away. Then after closer inspection noticed paint rubbin off on right side upper swingarm. Something not right with the clearance so I will be bringing back to dealer to see whats up. Other than that I love the bike. Just thought I'd let you know and to see if anyone else had same experience with the 08 SE springer.
I will pay attention to this issue next time I ride and let you know. Mine has 1500 miles and I have noticed anything!!

springerdude

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »

Got back from Daytona, had great time weather was great, was able to break springer in down there. Brought bike back to dealer for service and to check the swingarm which was rubbin on the frame. Moco is replacing springarm (clearance problem) which is great but they will have the bike for three weeks or so. Now im hopin spring will take awhile to come sorry guys   :( :(. Had a couple of other minor things wrong, grease pourin out of steering neck (they over filled the neck) and also lost screw out of rear axle cover which caused it to move and scratch on the mufflers. Will be replaced under warranty. So now I sit and wait for my bike to come back to me  :( :(. Well I guess I'll have them throw some pipes on while its apart for springrm replacement  :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:02 PM »

Just got a call from a friend  his 08 Springer swingarm is also rubbing the frame  ..  Back to dealer today to see what to do bad bad news the frame was bent from the factory they want to replace the frame he said no no new bike or $ back  factory rep will be here this week to try to remedy the problem  to make matters worse this dealer has two springers on the lift with the same problem.... way to go  moco  money first quality last ...

springerdude

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »

Hmmmm sounds like batch of bent frames  :oops  I asked the dealer to check where the problem could be, frame or swingarm. Told me new swingarm, now I'm not sure  :-\( need to go back to dealer now and implore them to check frame so new springarm will not have same problem, be wastin time damn. Oh well money first right........

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:46 AM »

The stock exhaust pipes on my bike had rubbed scratched the axle cover, I put it on the rack to install a new VH Big Radius 2 into 1 and noticed the 2 studs that hold the mounting bracket on were only in 2 threads not seated on the nut, I feel they knew that when it was assembled. I ordered a new cover after I put the VH pipes on with there bracket. They had also pinched the OW and GB wire going to the tach with the frame stop, I replaced both wires, hope these are the only problems I will have.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »

Can someone post a pic of where the rub is.I haven't noticed any problems on mine.I did replace the axle cover like old wrench due to the pip rub.

Hellion Custom Cycles

• Vendor
  • One bad ass machine

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »

I have a little over 150 miles on mine and have also heard some noises, but thought it was just springer noises. please post pics and i will be checking my ride tomorrow
08 SE SPRINGER
06 NIGHTTRAIN
91 FLHTC
99 883 (wife's bike)

springerdude

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »

Picked up my bike Saturday. A new swingarm was installed which from seeing the new one and old one the problem of it rubbin the frame is obvious. The arms that get welded to the pivot plates of the swingarm were welded to the outside edge (especially the upper right one) causing the arm to stick out from plate ever so slightly and rub the frame. The new swingarm has these arms welded closer to the inside of the pivot plates thus giving it plenty of clearance. The swingarm was the culprit not the frame. According to SM Harley has documented cases of bad swingarms which makes sense since my CVO painted swingarm arrived in less than a week (replacement inventory?). Very happy now and dealer was fantastic as far as this problem solved. Now for new problem. Had dealer install Rush mufflers 2" baffles since pipes were off for swingarm replacement. Bike sounds awesome but getting popping on decel from 3k to 2k rpms. Bought SERT (32107-01H) and had dealer install new maps. Cant get rid of popping tech tried. As soon as tech told me Kent Moore always made the sert and not TTS I asked him to button up the bike and went home. It proved to me that we know more about Harleys then the dealers and techs do, go figure. I'll mess with the sert until I can get it dynoed. Hate paying people who don't know what there doing or talkin about!!!  :nixweiss:

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

rainierexpress

• Wherever you go, there you are

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Softail Springer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »

Springerdude,

Hope you have your popping issue resolved by now. I had the exact same problem with my Rush (2.25" baffles), and a PCIII. Took my bike to a PCIII authorized tuner in town and he got it to purr like a kitten when I decelerate. According to the local crowd around here, the tuner at our HD dealer is not all that thorough with his SERT installs, hence the PCIII for me. On top of that, you have to schedule 45 days in advance to get a spot on the dyno at the dealer. The Rush sound great now, though a bit too loud. I may end up going with the 1.75" baffles.
2008 CVO Softail Springer
Anniversary Colors
Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler
Ness 3" Forward Control Extension

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.