Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Sidecar  (Read 7524 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Sidecar
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 08:39:29 AM »

Something that just came to mind. The frame on the FLHTCUSE2 does not have the weldment for a sidecar like my '99 FLHTC did. I remember a piece of threaded hex welded to the frame on the right side. This is not on the frame anymore. Maybe that's why they say no sidecar. :nixweiss:

:indian_chief:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »

so I don't see that the power causing it to pull to the right is really that much of an issue.  I've wondered since I read that why it would be a problem?

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Power has nothing to do with it.
It's the weight that causes the pull.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »

Power has nothing to do with it.
It's the weight that causes the pull.

Since F = MA, both weight (mass) and acceleration will have the same affect. Double either one and you're doubling the force required to keep it accelerating in a straight line.

I've never driven a bike with a hack so I don't know how much effort is required to keep it on an even keel. :nixweiss:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »

Since F = MA, both weight (mass) and acceleration will have the same affect. Double either one and you're doubling the force required to keep it accelerating in a straight line.

I've never driven a bike with a hack so I don't know how much effort is required to keep it on an even keel. :nixweiss:

Chuck

It's like everything else, once you get use to it it's no problem.
It's still a hassel but you get use to it.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »

hogasm

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 10:38:44 AM »

Just an FYI - My '08 FLHTCUSE3 manual also says no sidecar, so it's apparantly more than just the lowering that cause the MoCo to put the label on.  My '99 Non CVO ultra, which had engine work, had more power then the SEUC3 and the previous owner of that bike ran a side car on it for awhile so I don't see that the power causing it to pull to the right is really that much of an issue.  I've wondered since I read that why it would be a problem?

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

I asked the rep in Daytona about a sidecar for my 04 SEEG.....his reply.....we don't have the paint available for the sidecar. Your paint is special.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:45 AM »

I've never ridden a bike with a hack.  When the day comes that I'm too old, wrinkled, crippled or generally messed up to keep two wheels upright I think a hack looks cooler than a trike though.  Very much so actually as I really don't esthetically care for trikes.  The kid, the dog, the groceries; lots of potential uses.  Though it's annoying when MrsWe is rational like she was a few posts ago.  Having smart people around sometimes spoils a guys fun :huepfenlol2: .

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »

Go for it man. Shelby would love it. I like that better than a trailer for him. :2vrolijk_21:

You do realize that if you get a hack, you're gonna have to clean out your garage. :nixweiss:

I figure I can get rid of the golf cart that I never use and trade the Deuce of the SERG w/ hack. That would free up enough room and then some. I'd only be using it around town and not for the really long hauls. This might be a plan  :orange:.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »

I figure I can get rid of the golf cart that I never use and trade the Deuce of the SERG w/ hack. That would free up enough room and then some. I'd only be using it around town and not for the really long hauls. This might be a plan  :orange:.

AJ, there is a flaw I'm only now beginning to realize in both of our planning.  I got the SERG certain that the SEEG stays the highway bike.  The bike for long trips.   It is so adjusted to me anymore and running well that it is the machine to take out on the open road pulling the trailer.

The SERG, therefore, gets more local runs.  Weekenders.  That kind of thing.  Only problem there is even the limited riding it's gotten so far already informs that it's a road bike. It's going to be a great long day runner.  There might have to be some time split between the bikes.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »

AJ, there is a flaw I'm only now beginning to realize in both of our planning.  I got the SERG certain that the SEEG stays the highway bike.  The bike for long trips.   It is so adjusted to me anymore and running well that it is the machine to take out on the open road pulling the trailer.

The SERG, therefore, gets more local runs.  Weekenders.  That kind of thing.  Only problem there is even the limited riding it's gotten so far already informs that it's a road bike. It's going to be a great long day runner.  There might have to be some time split between the bikes.

I can live with splitting the time. I've got a buddy here in Bft that has an '07 Classic w/ hack. I spoke to him last night at the HOG meeting. I rode the bike to the dealership for him when he was installing the hack. I'm gonna ask him if I can take it for a spin now that he has it installed. I know it will be a different ride than the RG but I should get the general "feel".

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:44 AM »

I can live with splitting the time. I've got a buddy here in Bft that has an '07 Classic w/ hack. I spoke to him last night at the HOG meeting. I rode the bike to the dealership for him when he was installing the hack. I'm gonna ask him if I can take it for a spin now that he has it installed. I know it will be a different ride than the RG but I should get the general "feel".

Does Shelby already know how to where goggles? :nixweiss:

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »

You shouldn't have any problem riding it as long as you ride in a straight line  ;D You should practice in the dealer lot on right hand and left hand sweeps - After all you don't want to have to buy it just to test ride it.

Remember Speed Kills in the sweeps if you forget how to drive it, or you and sidecar will fly :)

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

Does Shelby already know how to where goggles? :nixweiss:

Shelby has his own pair of doggles!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »

My brother just added one to his RG (non-CVO) and it got the wife thinking. So now I'm exploring options too. It looks like fun, but not sure if it's something I want on all the time because I ride daily to work and the side car would mainly be for the weekends. There are some non-HD versions that claim to be easy to put on and take off. How bad is the HD version?

It is a major pia.  Have a friend who bought his '99 with the hack installed at the factory.  Taking it off not that bad putting it on worse - have to 'align' it.  And don't forget that you've got to open the rear brake line to hook up the hack's brake.

Plus it was a bitch to ride in the mountains when we were in Hot Springs.  Front wheel bearings shot at under 10k.  He wound up selling the hack.  Still has the bike.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

Has anyone added a sidecar to their SE bike? With all to talk of 2ln's new addition, I'm thinking of a Road Glide with a sidecar added ( Shelby needs to ride too). Are there any problems associated with adding a sidecar to a RG? Or any other SE for that matter? I know my SEUC2 owner's manual says not to add one but gives not reason as to why.

AJ
AJ I rode behind a guy with an articulated hack a couple years ago for quite a way.  Looked great and did not affect the way the bike handled like a std fixed hack.  Don't know who makes 'em but imagine you can find out.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.