Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Whining tranny?  (Read 4821 times)

Gr8Escape

• Need more hp!
Whining tranny?
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »

On my recent trip to the Laughlin River Run over the weekend I acquired a strange whining/singing noise in 3rd and 4th gears on my SERK. I would only hear it in thoughs gears, and it would only happen when the bike was warm and under load.  [smiley=confused5.gif] I recently switched over to Syn3 synthetic oils at the 5K service interval. I'm wondering if I should be concerned with this new voice that my tranny has? Any help or comments are appreciated!!!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Ride like the wind....
Gr8Escape

'01 FLTRSEI...S&S 570G cams, Baker DD6, Dynojet PCIIIusb, Rich 2-into1 Thunderheaders.

'03 FLHRSEI2...Baker DD6, Dynojet PCIIIusb, Bub Rinehart True Duals.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Whining tranny?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:51:08 PM »

On my recent trip to the Laughlin River Run over the weekend I acquired a strange whining/singing noise in 3rd and 4th gears on my SERK. I would only hear it in thoughs gears, and it would only happen when the bike was warm and under load.  [smiley=confused5.gif] I recently switched over to Syn3 synthetic oils at the 5K service interval. I'm wondering if I should be concerned with this new voice that my tranny has? Any help or comments are appreciated!!!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

As a first recommendation take the motor oil out of the tranny.  It's just too thin.  Just because it's "ok" doesn't mean it's a great option.  You'd be better off with a straight dine gear oil; but there are better options.  Look at the Redline heavyweight if you're interested in a synthetic.  I have had wonderful experience with it.  Tranny is quieter and shifts smoother with it in there as opposed to when the Syn3 was in the gear box brand new.  And it just looks cool when you drain it (strawberry red color).

Gr8Escape

• Need more hp!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Twolanerider! Really appreciate the recommendation!!
Ride like the wind....
Gr8Escape

'01 FLTRSEI...S&S 570G cams, Baker DD6, Dynojet PCIIIusb, Rich 2-into1 Thunderheaders.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 04:37:09 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Twolanerider! Really appreciate the recommendation!!

I'm guess'n that we will see a MOCO bulletin about this stuff in the trany. I thought it was to light to begin with.....Red line sounds like a good alternative if you want to use a $ynthetic. I prefer to stick with the HD stuff, it has worked quite well for the last 52K in the ole Purple Eagle RK......so me thinks, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

That's my nickles worth......... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

WD
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Gr8Escape

• Need more hp!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 04:46:33 PM »

As a first recommendation take the motor oil out of the tranny.  It's just too thin.  Just because it's "ok" doesn't mean it's a great option.  You'd be better off with a straight dine gear oil; but there are better options.  Look at the Redline heavyweight if you're interested in a synthetic.  I have had wonderful experience with it.  Tranny is quieter and shifts smoother with it in there as opposed to when the Syn3 was in the gear box brand new.  And it just looks cool when you drain it (strawberry red color).

Okay Twolanerider... after further investigation there are several weights of Redline, which one are you running:

1) REDMT 90 REDLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID
2) REDMTL REDLINE 75/80W TRANSMISSION FLUID
3) REDLINE SHOCKPROOF GEAR OIL HEAVYWEIGHT

or something else?
Ride like the wind....
Gr8Escape

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 07:26:46 PM »

Okay Twolanerider... after further investigation there are several weights of Redline, which one are you running:

or something else?

I'm running option 3, Redline Shockproof. I changed the syn3 out at the 1st service. Much smoother [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 07:32:06 PM »

Here's a link to some of the best technical information on this website or anywhere else concerning the use of Syn3 in the transmission: CLICK HERE  Read, learn, and get the Syn3 out of the tranny quick!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:26:01 PM »

or something else?

# 3.  The Redline Heavy Shockproof.  Great stuff.  It's in the 4 speed in a 57 vette and the 4 speed in a 64 409 Impala SS ragtop car as well.  But there's just something "right" about using red tranny fluid in a red bike  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 11:55:07 PM »

I'm ready for my 5k service and just switched to the redline shockproof and I would have to say that the bike shifts,sounds and feels much better.  until after i changed out the syn3  in the trans,,, i didnt realize that i was actually feeling a slight vibration in the handle bars from the tranny..i would like to thank the people from this site for recomending it [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]..now when it comes time to change it out  i'm curious on weather or not i see those little whiskers of metal on the magnet on the drain plug,,,(i doubt it)
~late~ Cann

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 08:16:50 AM »

# 3.  The Redline Heavy Shockproof.  Great stuff.  It's in the 4 speed in a 57 vette and the 4 speed in a 64 409 Impala SS ragtop car as well.  But there's just something "right" about using red tranny fluid in a red bike  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Where can you find this stuff?  I'm getting some leakage around the filler plug opening with the Syn3, and I believe that it's just too thin for the transmission, but I haven't been able to find the Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil.  I found the Lightweight stuff, but not the Heavy?  Thanks.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 09:17:36 AM »

Where can you find this stuff?  I'm getting some leakage around the filler plug opening with the Syn3, and I believe that it's just too thin for the transmission, but I haven't been able to find the Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil.  I found the Lightweight stuff, but not the Heavy?  Thanks.

www.myoilshop.com  Automotive speed shops (if you have one in your area) are another source.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 09:58:14 AM »

www.myoilshop.com  Automotive speed shops (if you have one in your area) are another source.

Dan

THANKS!  I'll order some.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 10:01:29 AM »

Definitely get the Syn3 out of the tranny. I had Belray 85-140 put in on recco of my dealer. First there was very little metal on the drain plug when they drained syn3 out. That was good news. Main difference is how smooth and easy it shifts. Also quieter. The Redline is great also. Dramatic difference! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 08:54:23 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the help on this.  I've just gone over to syn3 on my bikes and had not heard of this issue.  I've not noticed any vibrations or whining but I'll be more attentive going forward.  I've only got just over 600 mi on the new seeg.  Just ordered a case of the redline heavy shock.  

Thanks again.

JRW
My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 10:34:35 PM »

I found the redline shockproof at the  HD dealer.. but on the redline web page  they have a locator check it out  http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.asp    [smiley=blank.gif]
~late~ Cann
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.