Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Friend dies on Santa Cruz run, 3 injured.  (Read 12937 times)

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
Friend dies on Santa Cruz run, 3 injured.
« on: April 13, 2008, 04:50:33 AM »

What was one of the best rides I have been on in a long time, ended in tradegy earlier this evening in Los Gatos, 12 of my friends (9 bikes) started out in san Lorenzo, went across the San Mateo bridge Half Moon Bay, up thru Shyline blvd, ate breakfast at Alice's restaurant, went to the beach, then on down to santa Cruz highway 1. Corndogs at the wharf, stopped at HD santa cruz, we took our time the entire way there, was nice not to rush to the next stop. one of the guys decided it was time to buy a full face helmut while at HD dealership, and chuck the skid lid. I tried to talk him outta of it, telling him , my good friend Jim can sell him one for a couple hundred less, if he would wait till we got back to town, he said , he wanted one for the ride back, this is a guy who has worn a skid lid since ive known him. we went back on highway 17, the 3 bikes behind me, didnt see the traffic slowing (Im guessing here), I hit my brakes lights a few times to warn anyone behind me, and looked in my rearview to make sure no one was on my ass, and one of them locked it up at maybe 60MPH, sideways,  he slid into his cousin who was 2 up with his wife, they both got sideways, and the bikes and the riders all went tumbling and bounching repeaterly,  George, the guy who bought the fullface just 15 minutes or so ago, went into the wall, his bike flipping and landing on the legs of jesse's wife. Phil wound up in the other lane, getting run over by a van, we didnt know this at first, that he was run over , I got to Jesse, and Jesse's wife first, pulled the bike off from her, she was in bad shape, out cold, and broken leg and arm, and blood everywhere, Jesse was not as  injured, but only cared about his wife, I went to Phil,  i couldnt understand why he looked so bad, he wasnt breathing, had severe head trama, and when I tried to turn his head to clear the blood form his airways, I realized how bad he was, i wanted to try CPR, and started too,  but it felt like he was all busted up in his chest,  I made the decision that I might do more harm than good, I didnt know if I would actually push a rib thru his heart or something, I cant begin to explain how helpless and powerless I felt, Im not sure anything I could of tried or done would of mattered, Im still really mind screwing myself for what I didnt do, or couldnt do. He died before the paramedics arrived, which was very fast, they pulled up opposite side of the freeway. The tried to revive him, but no use. They concentrated on jesse's wife, Pennelipy, forgive my poor spelling. She was in surgery as of a little while ago, she is expected to be OK, but that is the first prognosis. Everyone went to the hospital except for myself and another friend, we stayed with Phil, took care of speaking to the coroner and we left when they finnially took him. I had to stay, I hope I am not ever left alone on the road like that, i would want a friend to stay, he was my brother. I didnt want him to be alone, when none of his family couldnt be there, not like this. Its still not sinking in seeing him under a yellow plastic tarp, I mean, for gods sake!! is that the best they can do for you?, Plastic??, Watching people go by and stare for like 2 hours after hes dead, and saying things, chitty things cause they had to wait to get to where they were they were going?, I hope none of you ever have to experience this, I hope i never do again, Phil just had a kid 11 months ago, I feel so bad for his family, I cant imagine my wife getting a call that I was just killed like this, and what they would have to go thru. I really needed to get this out. This is one the worst f*ckin days and yet, I was luckiy I didnt also get taken out, man, Im sorry that this is the first post that Ive made since leaving a long time ago, I miss you guys, I still read the forum all the time.  please dont wear skid lids. Georges brand new fullface, is toast, but his face and head are intact, he's in the hospital, but alive.  Also, prayers please for Jesses wife, Phil, and Phils wife, baby, and family. Phils and jesse's uncle Frank (or Jeses's brother?) again, forgive me if My facts arent exactly accurate, died along with his wife on last years Sturgious run, Phil was wearing his Uncle that died helmut that  and it was not DOT approved. Thanks for letting me vent here, Its 2 am, and I needed to talk to someone about it. take care bro's

Donations can be made to:

'Felipe Loza Memorial Fund'
15867 Corte Mariana
San Lorenzo, Ca. 94580

Or a direct deposit can be made at any B of A branch under the memorial fund name

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:38:22 PM by Cigarmike »
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Friend dies on Santa Cruz run, 3 injured.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:23:28 AM »

Mike, we are very sorry for the trauma you have endured.  Sorry for the family and friends of your lost friend and prayers being said for the full recovery of those injured.  The mental anguish you are enduring is natural and hard.  Get help.  Talk it out anywhere anytime, if here, I for one, am more than happy to listen.

Glad to see you here, you've been missed.  Come anytime for condolences, we love you man.

What a horrible and senseless tragedy.  It just can never be explained. 

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »

Mike, we are very sorry for the trauma you have endured.  Sorry for the family and friends of your lost friend and prayers being said for the full recovery of those injured.  The mental anguish you are enduring is natural and hard.  Get help.  Talk it out anywhere anytime, if here, I for one, am more than happy to listen.

Glad to see you here, you've been missed.  Come anytime for condolences, we love you man.

What a horrible and senseless tragedy.  It just can never be explained. 

nothing much to add here, only agree. get yourself some company mike, its gonna hurt real bad for awhile. get a friendly shoulder and keep it around for support.

praying for ya and crying with ya man.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »

Mike,
So sorry to hear about this. My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to you, friends, and Phil's family.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »

Mike,

I am so very sorry to hear this devastating news.  My condolenses to Phil's family and to everyone involved.  You and your friends experienced something tramatic last evening...spend time with friends and fanily...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:04:39 AM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:59:13 AM »

Mike,

Reading your story saddens my heart. We'll keep everyone involved in out thoughts and prayers.

:indian_chief:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »

DAMN after reading this I was numb. I have been a Firefighter/ EMT/ IP for as long as I can remember. Mike there was not much you could do. I have been in your position before. It sucks to have the training and feel so helpless.

I cannot Begin to tell you how sorry I am for you and all of your friends. My deepest condolences to you and everyone else involved.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:43:44 AM »

Ditto what everyone has said.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »

Same here as above. My thoughts and prayers to the surviving and departed.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »

My thoughts are also with you, Phil, your families, and everyone else involved.

It’s difficult to find a silver lining in tragedies such as this, but something that has helped me is to find even just one positive, regardless of how small it may seem in comparison.

Phil was doing something he loved doing when he died, he would be honored to know that a friend as dedicated and caring as you remained with him when he needed you the most.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »

Mike,
I feel your pain and pray for the family of your friend. You describe your experience clearly and based on what you said there doesn't sound like there were too many choices for you and you chose the best available in caring for the friends that have the best chances. The pain will subside over time the memories of the night will get processed and talking about it is the best way I know to put things in perspective. Respect your bro's memory and support the family and all those things will speed your own healing. The hurt in your gut will get better-talk it out and give it time!

Stay in touch with your CVO family for our support!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »

I just decided to buy a full-face helmet.  OMG I don't even know what to say.  I can't imagine what you must be going through.  Vent, vent and vent some more.  That is what we are here for.  My prayers are with you.

~V
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »

Mike,

I'm sorry for your loss, and you did what you could.  You know that I'm a phone call away if you want to talk, and you have a lot of supporters on this site.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:22:23 AM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »

Can we get a group hug here? Mike, we've only met once and it feels like your heart is in my hands. There is nothing I can do, but I want to do something. This hurts badly, and please know that you are not without support if needed. Wow, this hurts.

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »

Wow, very sorry for the long un-paragraphed post last night, I had just gotten back from this nightmare, threw down a few shots and then posted. Thank you everyone for your prayers for all the riders that went down and their families, I am OK, I couldnt cry at all yesterday, I was just numb, I couldnt cry untill I re-read my post this morning, It didnt seem like I was one of the persons involved in that story for some strange reason, I shed tears for Phil and his family, I am still numb, but am OK. Thanks again for being here and understanding.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.