Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Just another chapter in the same book  (Read 35462 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Just another chapter in the same book
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:19:38 PM »

I took my B&O SEUC into the dealer a couple of weeks agao with the second head gasket leak. The first leak it had 5,500 miles. This time there's 18,000 or so.  The first time the dealer had heard of very few problems. This time he admits it's pretty wide spread. I happened in the shop during their lunch hour and walked back to my bike. They had been in the process of checking crank run out & a dial indicator was set up. I'm no motor head, nor do I care to be one, but I've been around shafts, bearings, pulleys and gearing most of my life. It was obvious to me, as I stood 10 feet away, the bushing in the cam plate was elongated from the crank shaft runout. He checked run out at .008". After removing the cam plate it checked .014".

I've been beating my head against the wall for a few weeks trying to make a decision how to proceed. 
Jim's 120?
Jims 131?
Rebuild this engine?
Insist on a new 110 engine?
New crank shaft?
Just install a head gasket and hope for the best? NO way now that it's down this far and crank runout is what it is.

I could insist on a new 110 engine, and then purchase a Jims 120. Then I'd have a spare engine. I could sell it. Who'd buy it?

I decided to buy a new crank and have it trued and welded. Timpken conversion. 113 cylinders and pistons. New heads, cams, rings, pistons etc. Don't ask me anything more technical than that, as I won't know the answer.

I could have gone cheaper and let HD fix it at no charge to me. With what? Another 110? It might be better, it might be worse. I don't trust the 110's. My time is valuable to me. if I get a week off and plan to ride, I'd be sick if it crapped out the second day of my trip. I realize the 113 could crap out too, I just hope it's less likely. Ask me in a year or so. I just hope I haven't started down that long expensive road BB talks about .....Chasing HP and TQ with money.

Thanks to everyone on this great site for helping me finally make a damn decision.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Just another chapter in the same book
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »

Sorry to hear, Hogbreath.  What's going to be paid for under warranty?   I think the crank spec was recently upped to .015 from .012.  While I do not think much for suffing $$$$$ into an already special bike, I think you will have a solid build.  I believe that the 113" cylinders or Axtell are the way to go from an observer's platform. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

Sorry to hear, Hogbreath.  What's going to be paid for under warranty?   I think the crank spec was recently upped to .015 from .012.  While I do not think much for suffing $$$$$ into an already special bike, I think you will have a solid build.  I believe that the 113" cylinders or Axtell are the way to go from an observer's platform. 

That part is still up in the air. Ask me in a month or so. I trust this dealer, and I figure I hold the power as long as I am the one writing the checks.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »

Ken, don't let them use the POS stock crank! Have them use an S&S or Jims 4-3/8" forged crank. Then don't bother to weld it either. Not necessary. And have them use the SE Camplate instead of the stock one, along with a new oil pump. Make sure they give you a new throttle body, properly sized for this build. Good luck my friend! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »

Ken, don't let them use the POS stock crank! Have them use an S&S or Jims 4-3/8" forged crank. Then don't bother to weld it either. Not necessary. And have them use the SE Camplate instead of the stock one, along with a new oil pump. Make sure they give you a new throttle body, properly sized for this build. Good luck my friend! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Heard it live via Howie phone. And now, I've got written proof! LOL Thanks buddy.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »

Heard it live via Howie phone. And now, I've got written proof! LOL Thanks buddy.  :2vrolijk_21:

Just making sure it sinks in! ::) :P ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

h-d mikey

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
    • CVO2: 2000 SERG Triple Red
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »

Ken,

Sorry to hear that its come to a rebuild, but I bet you will be happy with what ever you do.

Good Luck with Build

h-d mikey
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:42:37 PM by h-d mikey »
2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise (Wrecked By Harley)
2009 SERG Orange & Black (SOLD)
2005 SEEG Banana (SOLD)
2000 SERG Triple Red (SOLD)
1999 Fat Boy (Custom Everthing)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:02:15 PM »

Ken, hate that you have continued problems with the 110.  Glad you have reached a decision on how to fix it.  Hope some of this after market cost is borne by the MoCo - obviously the 110 is a problem. 

Best of luck on getting it the way you want it.  113 seems to be the best way to go.  Thanks for posting details on your engine decisions. 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

Thank God for the 113.

We been on pins and needles that you would stuff a Goldwing motor in there.
Your guys must have figured out there was no room for the radiator.
Good luck Ken!
See you in Hot Springs.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »

Ken,

I'm really sorry to hear this latest development, but, I know that you are headed in the right direction.  Best of luck on your new solid build!

Craig

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »

Ken, sorry to hear about your troubles.  Sounds like you're on the right track.  Why new heads - just want better or were yours damaged?  What cams are you going with?  Right now my new engine with 6k on it seems fine and I'm keeping my fingers crossed but you never know.

And I'm with you about a road trip.  OMG I keep thinking I could have been on my 8k mile odyssey last summer and thousands of mile from home when my engine crapped out.  Luckily I was only a couple hundred miles from home and you and Cheri were there.  But does give you pause for sure.

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:42:49 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »

Ken, sorry to hear about your troubles.  Sounds like you're on the right track.  Why new heads - just want better or were yours damaged?  What cams are you going with?  Right now my new engine with 6k on it seems fine and I'm keeping my fingers crossed but you never know.

And I'm with you about a road trip.  OMG I keep thinking I could have been on my 8k mile odyssey last summer and thousands of mile from home when my engine crapped out.  Luckily I was only a couple hundred miles from home and you and Cheri were there.  But does give you pause for sure.

Jerry

Jerry, I'm just going with what the wrench recommends.

Hope your engine outlasts the rest of the bike.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »

If you insist on a replacement engine will HD insist on getting the old one?  Here's my thinking, get the replacement engine, still in the crate and sell it on eBay.  Use the new found booty to finance the build of the original engine.  Good luck with it.  I feel your pain.  I'm wondering if I'm riding on borrowed time.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:58 AM »

If you insist on a replacement engine will HD insist on getting the old one?  Here's my thinking, get the replacement engine, still in the crate and sell it on eBay.  Use the new found booty to finance the build of the original engine.  Good luck with it.  I feel your pain.  I'm wondering if I'm riding on borrowed time.

If they replace your engine, the new one will have the same S/N, and the old one gets returned and the cases destroyed by HD. You can't have 2 sets of cases out there with the same VIN. Plus I'd not get rid of an engine that's tied to my VIN. You can't provide an MSO for the engine to anyone either. ;)

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »

What if you want a new 110 engine but trade it up to the jims...?
Just a thought, as I am nearing the magic mileage point, my 2 years is up in September..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.