Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Cleaning around the Heavy Breather intake  (Read 10467 times)

Happnin

Cleaning around the Heavy Breather intake
« on: June 23, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »

Was going to post this in the cleaning area, but this part is specific to this model.

How do you, if you even do, protect the breather on this bike when pre-soaking or rinsing?

My first reaction was to just go easy at it, but you really need to wash the front plate which collects bugs like crazy.

Thanks,

Happ

rainierexpress

• Wherever you go, there you are

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Softail Springer
Re: Cleaning around the Heavy Breather intake
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

I can't really answer your question, but I have a funny story about the heavy breather on my bike. So I was cruising along at about 30 mph when I felt something hit my right ankle. I looked down and there was the air filter assembly resting on my ankle! It must have been a little loose when I picked up the bike (I've only got about 250 miles on it to this point). I very carefully slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road, trying to keep the filter assembly from falling on the road and getting run over or whatever. Luckily, I always carry a Leatherman in my pocket, so I was able to make a quick repair and off I went. It's held on the the intake with a pipe clamp, so I guess it's just something to check periodically.
2008 CVO Softail Springer
Anniversary Colors
Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler
Ness 3" Forward Control Extension

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »

Isn't this filter like/or a K&N (has oil on it)? If so I would be concerned about constant washing it (removing oil) then having to reapply oil. I think I would cover it w/a plastic bag when I was washing the bike, and use a wet microfiber to clean the chrome end. If it got really dirty I would probably use some chrome cleaner/polish.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

InfernoSE

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:12:48 AM »

I tie a Wal-Mart sack over the filter when I wash the bike.  A wet sponge seems to be sufficient to clean the front of the breather.  Hit it with the sponge daily to keep it easy. :huepfenjump3:

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

I have that part on my Road King, and it came with a little bag, which is supposed to be used when riding in rain. However, I never cover it when washing the bike. No problems so far.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »

Get a K&N filter maintenance kit. Consists of a bottle each of filter cleaner and filter oil. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »

sometimes it gets washed and sometimes it gets washed and oiled

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 08:14:38 PM »

I can't really answer your question, but I have a funny story about the heavy breather on my bike. So I was cruising along at about 30 mph when I felt something hit my right ankle. I looked down and there was the air filter assembly resting on my ankle! It must have been a little loose when I picked up the bike (I've only got about 250 miles on it to this point). I very carefully slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road, trying to keep the filter assembly from falling on the road and getting run over or whatever. Luckily, I always carry a Leatherman in my pocket, so I was able to make a quick repair and off I went. It's held on the the intake with a pipe clamp, so I guess it's just something to check periodically.

I have one of these on my Dyna.  This same thing happened to me except JUST when I was about to get a grab on it it fell to the road and I ran over it.   :sauer005: I found to ensure the inner part of the filter is free from any fresh oiling before slipping it on and tightening the hose clamp.

Oh, one other bit of advise.  I put a canvas bag over the filter the first time I cleaned it., forgot it was there and started the bike.  It ran for about 10 seconds then died.  Found out why.  The motor sucked so hard it anlmost swollwed the filter.  Looked like an accordian!  :zroflmao:

BUT, if you want that filter to clear the lowers on a bagger that's the way to do it.   :nixweiss:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

sometimes it gets washed and sometimes it gets washed and oiled
I've been running K&N filters for many years, and it's important to re-oil the filter every single time you clean it. It's the oil on the cotton gauze that traps the dirt.

I can't tell you how many times I see guys running white heavy breather filters - In fact, I wonder if they come from the factory w/o oil and the dealers simply don't realize this during prep.

Everytime I get a chance to warn riders I see running them unoiled, I often get a deer in the headlights look and they seem to think I'm nuts. Somewhere along the line, MOCO has to do a better job of highlighting this.

Also, for those who bought the HB kit for those models that don't have them, note that the kit does not include the composite support frame that you insert into the tube prior to the filter. I was kind of shocked that MOCO doesn't include that as that's the only thing to support the filter itself. I was able to look up the PN and it's only a few bucks. Although I know you FXSTSSE/2 guys got them stock, but everyone else really should add this piece.

I hope this helps.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:07 AM »

HD dealer says to clean and oil every 2500 miles. I do mine every 1500 or as needed.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:32 PM »

This is going to sound weird, but I read one of K&N's many tests, and they claim that not only does the filter work better in cleaning debris when it's slightly to moderately dirty, but it also flows better. I thought that second part didn't make a lot of sense, but I probably wouldn't exceed 2,500 and clean it sooner if necessary as well.

shafe

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:00:22 PM »

out of curiosity, does it harm anything leaving the "rain sock" on it?  That's what i have been doing...
<>< Shafe <><

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »

I'm not sure where you people are coming up with the idea to oil the filter. The FXSTSSE2 owner's manual specifically says (p. 103): "The paper/wire mesh air filter element should be washed in luke warm water with a mild detergent." On the next page (p.104) it reads: "Do not use an air cleaner filter oil on the Harley-Davidson paper/wire mesh air filter element." I'm choosing to follow the manual's directions.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »

In response to my previous post, it is clear HD is contradicting itself. In the owners manual it says do not use oil on the filter. Yet in the service manual supplement, it gives exacting details about applying K&N air filter oil on the air cleaner. I think HD needs to clarify this but my guess is that oiling the filter is proper.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »

In response to my previous post, it is clear HD is contradicting itself. In the owners manual it says do not use oil on the filter. Yet in the service manual supplement, it gives exacting details about applying K&N air filter oil on the air cleaner. I think HD needs to clarify this but my guess is that oiling the filter is proper.

If it's a "linen" type material, it gets oiled. If it's paper, it doesn't. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »

Yes, I am aware there are some contradictions, which is part of the problem. The std manual is for the std filter, and the supplement will cover the unique CVO items, including the heavy breather.

If you look at the filter closely, behind the wire mesh, if you see a white cotton gauze material, that must be oiled. The paper is distinctly different - and I don't believe I've seen a heavy breather with a paper version. Just double-check it to be safe.

On the rain sock, we tend to get a lot of those floaty cottonwood seed things, which can quickly get embedded in the filter and clog it up. Worse, it's almost impossible to remove them without destroying the filter, so I leave mine on all the time.

That said, I do suspect that although K&N claims it doesn't effect the flow, I'm sure it might a tiny bit. Certainly not enough to cause a problem for normal use. However, if I was to go to the track, or be in the midst of a Pinks episode, I'd probably ditch it - until the commercial.   ;D

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 01:44:55 AM »

If it's a "linen" type material, it gets oiled. If it's paper, it doesn't. ;)

Hoist! 8)
ahhh,  my favorite.   Here we are speaking of linens, yet agayn.  Do tell, host, what would the thread count be on ...........     oops!  wrong forum!

oh yea,  who sells the designer colors for the filter oil at a price you can afford?  I got a can of blue with  my velocity stack on the soft-tail, but it was around $30 for a chintzy little can of the stuff.   I think a color matched filter is the chit.
sorry.   :jack:
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

dbrillha

• 2008 FXDF
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 06:30:33 AM »

I really want to get the Heavy Breather for my 2008 FXDF. With my forward controls, it has more room for my right knee than the stock air cleaner cover.

However, I live in Florida. It rains a lot. And the Harley Dealer said if you ride in the rain much at all, don't buy this. Water will get sucked into the engine even with the rain cover on. And you can hydro lock the engine. Basically, since water doesn't burn or compress, the piston will simply STOP, instantly. Bad things happen quickly after that.

He did say it must be oiled regularly.

And I've read on this thread that several have had it fall off while riding!!

Not sure I want that intake style after learning about these risks and maintenance items.

-- Dave
Enjoying the Journey, Anticipating the Destination

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »

In a torrential downpour, I got the engine to breakup a bit, requiring me to keep it rev'd a bit while sitting at a light, but the chance of hydrolocking is pretty remote. You'd almost have to submerge the bike while running at high rpm to ingest that much water before the engine died. I found the the heavy breather with the rain sock actually worked better in the rain than the stock FXSTDSE2 Tear drop with the open filter. Certainly none if these open filters will protect in the rain as well as the stock closed filters, but I think the HB does a pretty good job.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:18 PM »

I really want to get the Heavy Breather for my 2008 FXDF. With my forward controls, it has more room for my right knee than the stock air cleaner cover.

However, I live in Florida. It rains a lot. And the Harley Dealer said if you ride in the rain much at all, don't buy this. Water will get sucked into the engine even with the rain cover on. And you can hydro lock the engine. Basically, since water doesn't burn or compress, the piston will simply STOP, instantly. Bad things happen quickly after that.

He did say it must be oiled regularly.

And I've read on this thread that several have had it fall off while riding!!

Not sure I want that intake style after learning about these risks and maintenance items.

-- Dave

I'm sure that you would have to take a gallon of icewater and dump it quickly into the intake to hydrolock it....

but if you riding in the rain all the time, there are better filters on the market... the heavy breather is functional and looks good though....

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »

Just a word of caution...don't over oil the filter. I got "haired up" one day and oiled the K & N's on all six of my scoots. Needless to say I over oiled them and got to watch oil blow all over the bikes for months lol. Hopefully someone can learn from my stupidity lol.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »

Just a word of caution...don't over oil the filter. I got "haired up" one day and oiled the K & N's on all six of my scoots. Needless to say I over oiled them and got to watch oil blow all over the bikes for months lol. Hopefully someone can learn from my stupidity lol.

Opee
Hopefully.  But, the best way to r.e.a.l.l.y  learn is your (and my way).  :'( har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »

I heard of worse things happening, just a mess to clean up, but I will take your advice...

I've been using K+N on everything I own for years now... As a matter of fact I put one on everything with the first oil change....

So I agree that cleaning and oiling them is sometimes an art....

07FXSTSSE

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

Have one on my 07 FXSTSSE, I cover it and my tach with aluminum foil. Just wrap it to fit, stays bone dry.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 21 queries.