Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cleaning around the Heavy Breather intake  (Read 10466 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Cleaning around the Heavy Breather intake
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »

Yes, I am aware there are some contradictions, which is part of the problem. The std manual is for the std filter, and the supplement will cover the unique CVO items, including the heavy breather.

If you look at the filter closely, behind the wire mesh, if you see a white cotton gauze material, that must be oiled. The paper is distinctly different - and I don't believe I've seen a heavy breather with a paper version. Just double-check it to be safe.

On the rain sock, we tend to get a lot of those floaty cottonwood seed things, which can quickly get embedded in the filter and clog it up. Worse, it's almost impossible to remove them without destroying the filter, so I leave mine on all the time.

That said, I do suspect that although K&N claims it doesn't effect the flow, I'm sure it might a tiny bit. Certainly not enough to cause a problem for normal use. However, if I was to go to the track, or be in the midst of a Pinks episode, I'd probably ditch it - until the commercial.   ;D
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 01:44:55 AM »

If it's a "linen" type material, it gets oiled. If it's paper, it doesn't. ;)

Hoist! 8)
ahhh,  my favorite.   Here we are speaking of linens, yet agayn.  Do tell, host, what would the thread count be on ...........     oops!  wrong forum!

oh yea,  who sells the designer colors for the filter oil at a price you can afford?  I got a can of blue with  my velocity stack on the soft-tail, but it was around $30 for a chintzy little can of the stuff.   I think a color matched filter is the chit.
sorry.   :jack:
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

dbrillha

• 2008 FXDF
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 06:30:33 AM »

I really want to get the Heavy Breather for my 2008 FXDF. With my forward controls, it has more room for my right knee than the stock air cleaner cover.

However, I live in Florida. It rains a lot. And the Harley Dealer said if you ride in the rain much at all, don't buy this. Water will get sucked into the engine even with the rain cover on. And you can hydro lock the engine. Basically, since water doesn't burn or compress, the piston will simply STOP, instantly. Bad things happen quickly after that.

He did say it must be oiled regularly.

And I've read on this thread that several have had it fall off while riding!!

Not sure I want that intake style after learning about these risks and maintenance items.

-- Dave
Enjoying the Journey, Anticipating the Destination

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »

In a torrential downpour, I got the engine to breakup a bit, requiring me to keep it rev'd a bit while sitting at a light, but the chance of hydrolocking is pretty remote. You'd almost have to submerge the bike while running at high rpm to ingest that much water before the engine died. I found the the heavy breather with the rain sock actually worked better in the rain than the stock FXSTDSE2 Tear drop with the open filter. Certainly none if these open filters will protect in the rain as well as the stock closed filters, but I think the HB does a pretty good job.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:18 PM »

I really want to get the Heavy Breather for my 2008 FXDF. With my forward controls, it has more room for my right knee than the stock air cleaner cover.

However, I live in Florida. It rains a lot. And the Harley Dealer said if you ride in the rain much at all, don't buy this. Water will get sucked into the engine even with the rain cover on. And you can hydro lock the engine. Basically, since water doesn't burn or compress, the piston will simply STOP, instantly. Bad things happen quickly after that.

He did say it must be oiled regularly.

And I've read on this thread that several have had it fall off while riding!!

Not sure I want that intake style after learning about these risks and maintenance items.

-- Dave

I'm sure that you would have to take a gallon of icewater and dump it quickly into the intake to hydrolock it....

but if you riding in the rain all the time, there are better filters on the market... the heavy breather is functional and looks good though....

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »

Just a word of caution...don't over oil the filter. I got "haired up" one day and oiled the K & N's on all six of my scoots. Needless to say I over oiled them and got to watch oil blow all over the bikes for months lol. Hopefully someone can learn from my stupidity lol.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »

Just a word of caution...don't over oil the filter. I got "haired up" one day and oiled the K & N's on all six of my scoots. Needless to say I over oiled them and got to watch oil blow all over the bikes for months lol. Hopefully someone can learn from my stupidity lol.

Opee
Hopefully.  But, the best way to r.e.a.l.l.y  learn is your (and my way).  :'( har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »

I heard of worse things happening, just a mess to clean up, but I will take your advice...

I've been using K+N on everything I own for years now... As a matter of fact I put one on everything with the first oil change....

So I agree that cleaning and oiling them is sometimes an art....

07FXSTSSE

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

Have one on my 07 FXSTSSE, I cover it and my tach with aluminum foil. Just wrap it to fit, stays bone dry.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.