Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie lost and confused about tuners  (Read 1958 times)

rscamarochad

Newbie lost and confused about tuners
« on: July 04, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »

Hey ya'll,
      I have a 08 FXDSE2 to which I have added V&H Big Radius.  Dealer said I don't need a download or air cleaner upgrade, but I have since learned otherwise from this forum.  My question is if I wanted to step into a programmer where should I start?  I see the PCs  the SERTs and others, and I gotta be honest,  I couldn't give a crap less about making this bike any more powerful than it already is... I can already kill all my buddies and that's good enough for me.  My issue is that I get significant popping in decel, which correct me if I am wrong means the bike is running too lean.  I have also read that running lean is hard on the bike causing quicker overheats and other potential problems.  I don't really want to have the bike dyno tuned for maximum horsepower.  I just want to make sure it is running rich enough and I would like to stop the popping if at all possible. I think I may already have an overheat problem because when I and doodling around town after I can physically feel the engine is piping hot, the bike goes into a wierd idle pattern while sitting at stop lights.  It's more of a very uniform sound rather than the normal wild cam lope the bike has when it's cooler.  I really don't know much about Harley's.  I'm learning, but I am a convert from the Crotch Rocket scene, and they are very very different.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
Re: Newbie lost and confused about tuners
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

You van take your bike for dyno and tell the tech to tune it for fuel economy and reacher AFR to get rid of heat issue.  You need to buy a "super Tuner" (part# 32109-08 - It is a hardware lock module that once connected to your bikes ECM, will only work with that bike) that allows the tech to connect to your ECM and download a new map ant tune.  Also you might want to change the A/c.  Usually the exhaust and A/C mods go together.
What ever you do, DO NOT BUY SUPER TUNER ON EBAY, unless it's a HD dealer on ebay.  Good Luck
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

cdog

Re: Newbie lost and confused about tuners
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 02:04:17 AM »

I have a 08 FXDSE2 to which I have added V&H Big Radius. 

My issue is that I get significant popping in decel, which correct me if I am wrong means the bike is running too lean.  I have also read that running lean is hard on the bike causing quicker overheats and other potential problems.  I don't really want to have the bike dyno tuned for maximum horsepower.  I just want to make sure it is running rich enough and I would like to stop the popping if at all possible.

I think I may already have an overheat problem because when I and doodling around town after I can physically feel the engine is piping hot, the bike goes into a wierd idle pattern while sitting at stop lights.  It's more of a very uniform sound rather than the normal wild cam lope the bike has when it's cooler. 

What is happening is that the motor is overheating and going into 'parade mode' which really isn't the best thing in the world.   You'd be much better off running more fuel and keeping it cool.   You need a tuning device, such as a Power Commander.

With an aftermarket tuning device, it's not about making more power, it's about beating the EPA regulations HD has to comply with.   Truth be told,  it needed a tuning device when it left the lot.   Now, with new pipes, it really needs one.   The dealer is just saying what HD told him (i.e.  with 'just pipes' the bike is OK) but that is wrong if you want a cool running bike not one that's lean as piss.

The easist thing to add is a Power Commander.  It installs easily, and there are tons of maps available that will get you running good with no decel popping AND a much cooler motor.   It also gets rid of the O2 sensors which are geared to keep the bike VERY VERY lean. 

You don't need to have someone dyno tune it unless you want every last horsepower out of it.... Which it sounds like you don't.  All you really need to do is to try 3-4 different maps from the Power Commander site and keep the one you think runs best.   I have run a few of the maps besides the one specifically for my exhaust, trying to see if they might be better....  I like having that option.

The good thing about a Power Commander is that YOU have the ability to change the map whenever you want, and customize it if you want, two things that the SERT does not allow.   It's very easy.  Also, if the motor explodes some day, a SERT technically may void your warranty.   With the PCIII, you can just pull it off and bang you are back to stock.  That is the way I would go.  The SERT is a good piece of equipment, but overkill for the street.  Plus, 90% of the dealers are not really doing a good tune with the SERT and you can't change it if it's wrong...

I didn't get mine from here, but Fuel Moto http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ is beloved by many on here and I think they'll give you a free custom map if you buy your PC3 from them.  Time to install it:   1-2 hours or so, with another 20 minutes to load the map and calibrate it.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:11:23 AM by cdog »
2007 CVO Dyna FXDSE, Rinehart Exhaust, PCIII.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.